PDA

View Full Version : Books

Tim Thiebaut
12-26-2010, 11:59 AM
Good morning everyone, I hope you all had a merry christmas and had a great time with family and friends! One of my gifts which is a standard I receive every year is a gift card to my favorite book seller B&N, I want to get a book to help me with my learning of turning, so I would like to get some recommendations from you all as to what a good book would be for a beginner like me, my focus right now is on lidded boxes, xmas ornaments, I want to try some duck/turkey calls, just to give you some basic info as to what I like at this point, and I am sure I could use some good old fashion basic instruction to, thanks for any and all input! Tim

Ken Fitzgerald
12-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Tim,

I have several books on woodturning but my favorite is:

"Woodturning: A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley.

He died 2 years ago IIRC and I hope it's still available. It is well illustrated and aimed at the beginning turner.

If you have high speed internet service, there are also a number of sites that offer free videos that are quite good.

Pete Jordan
12-26-2010, 2:52 PM
Just make sure you buy online. I went to B&N on Christmas Eve and they did not have one turning book.

Tim Thiebaut
12-26-2010, 2:58 PM
THanks Ken I will check out that book and see if i can get it ordered!

@ Pete - I know I went in a few weeks ago and was looking for a book on lidded boxes, they had to order it for me, which wasnt a problem at all, I dont mind waiting, I have plenty to keep me busy in the mean time.

Brian Libby
12-26-2010, 3:40 PM
"Woodturning: A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley is still available and also you can get it in a DVD

Nate Davey
12-26-2010, 3:47 PM
I have been reading through "The Art of Turned Bowls" by Richard Raffan, I'm very much a novice turner BTW. It is awesome, gets into wood selection and design, which I wish I had read about before doing my last bowl.