PDA

View Full Version : Wonders never cease - it's snowing in Savannah

Belinda Barfield
12-26-2010, 11:15 AM
We missed snow on Christmas but at least we're getting it now. Fire in the fireplace and snow . . . I don't think I'll leave the house today. I may even take a nap! :)

Jim O'Dell
12-26-2010, 11:21 AM
All sounds very relaxing! Enjoy. Maybe add in a cup of hot chocolate!! Jim.

Keith Outten
12-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Belinda,

It started snowing here yesterday afternoon so we had the first White Christmas that I can remember in Gloucester County for many decades. We had a light snow that lasted all night and woke up this morning with about 8" of the white stuff, and it is still snowing. We may end up with 10" to 12 " by this evening which is a lot of snow for a County that owns just a few trucks with plows. Gloucester can barely plow the main roads, the secondary and the back roads are never touched so it may be a couple of days before we get out again unless we ride the john Deere :)

Bill Huber
12-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Well that's nice as long as you keep it there.

Last year we got more snow then I have ever seen here in DFW in 24 years, and I didn't like it much. I lived in Kansas City for 40 years and had all I wanted of snow.

Belinda Barfield
12-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Keith,

Enjoy the snow. Hopefully the need will not arise to break out the Deere! You and Jackie just relax and have some hot chocolate like Jim suggested.

Dave Verstraete
12-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Belinda,
As the "Church Lady" says...Issn't thhhaatt niccce:D
I hear that Michigan is going to be 50 degrees on New Years Eve.:D:D

Stay warm and inside. Georgian drivers and snow don't mix

Don Alexander
12-26-2010, 12:58 PM
................unless we ride the john Deere :)

i kinda prefer riding a Deere , Keith :D

Gary Hodgin
12-26-2010, 1:07 PM
We got a barely white Christmas in Nashville, but more last night. It's mid-day Sunday with temp of 27 and wind chill of 17. I'm watching football and napping all day.

Dave Ogren
12-26-2010, 2:08 PM
It snowed all Christmas day here in Asheville, NC. Still lightly snowing 8" so far. It is going to snow here until about noon on Monday. Cocoa time in front of the fireplace.

Dave

Ted Calver
12-26-2010, 5:43 PM
Just over a foot here in Yorktown, a few miles south of Keith. Wondering why I put that firewood pile so far from the house. The birds aren't too thrilled, but my grand kids are loving it...."Best Christmas Ever!!!"

Belinda Barfield
12-26-2010, 5:53 PM
Great pics Ted. The kids look like they are having a grand time!

Dave Anderson NH
12-26-2010, 7:29 PM
The smow just started here about an hour or so ago and we only have a couple of inches onthe ground. The forecast if for 19-24" so it's no big deal. The only aggravation is having Sue wake me up at 4:30AM so I can snow blow the driveway so she can leave for work. I laid in a good supply of firewood for the basement shop woodstove today in case the blizzard winds they are predicting show up and knock out the power. This glass of Merlot is really nice. I think I'll go up stairs and get some cheese and crackers to accompany it. Right now it is a bit hot in the shop with the woodstove going, 77.7 degrees 15 feet from the stove. Modesty forbids me telling you how I'm dressed right now in the shop.

Mark Bolton
12-26-2010, 7:35 PM
We moved from MA to WV about 9 years ago to get away from the snow and this year it started snowing here (WV) on Thanksgiving and back where we are from just got their first snow this weekend. We have had snow cover for well over a month now and we are use to seeing grass all winter. Cycles cycles. If they keep up I will move farther south just in time for the cycle to switch and be hotter than ever.

Mark

Keith Outten
12-26-2010, 7:52 PM
Don,

Looks like I will get some tractor seat time tomorrow morning as I start to dig out. I don't own a rear blade so the Front End Loader bucket will have to do. If I can keep the snow shovel hanging in the barn I will be happy :)

Bill Leonard
12-27-2010, 8:19 AM
Gotta love this Global Warming!

Charlie Reals
12-27-2010, 8:35 AM
We had 3" yesterday with more colder snow coming tonight. My thoughts go out to you folks down south who are not at all prepared for this. It is for you like a foot of snow on San Fransisco would be.

Mark Bolton
12-27-2010, 9:05 AM
Gotta love this Global Warming!

Wild weather swings.

What I find odd for us is we had one of the most unseasonably dry summers. Starving for water all summer long. Some local water supplies were getting low, many locals hauling water for homes and livestock as ponds and springs were dry. Now, we swing to wild precipitation. If all this snow were ran we'd be flush with water. In our area seems to be payback for a period of nice, easy, open winters. Little to no snow or snow that melts off in a day or two. Could be swinging back to the winters of old for a bit.

Mark

Mark

Rod Sheridan
12-27-2010, 9:57 AM
Wild weather swings.

Mark

Mark

Mark, I think you have our snow.

We have about 2 inches of snow, somewhat less than normal:D.

Regards, and Merry Christmas..................Rod.

Mike Cruz
12-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Belinda, is this what you call hell freezing over or when donkeys fly?

Belinda Barfield
12-28-2010, 6:44 AM
Belinda, is this what you call hell freezing over or when donkeys fly?

It must be when donkeys fly. Several things that I have predicted would happen when that location freezes over did not occur, so it couldn't be that!:D

Dave Verstraete
12-28-2010, 11:33 AM
The City of Hell, Michigan was frozen on the same day that the Lions won a game.

Jason Roehl
12-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Keith, I'm so jealous.

My moonlighting job is plowing parking lots for a friend of mine who owns a landscaping company. I drive his truck, a '91 International (4900, I think) dump truck, with a Boss Power-V blade on it (8'2" blade with 2 11" extension wings) and a SnowEx salt spreader on back (holds about 40 50-lb bags of salt or ice melt, I think). I've been out plowing more hours this December than the previous two seasons combined, but all the snows have been 2-4", so my longest day was only 17 hours. I'd love a 24" snow event. From the sounds of it, I'd be out plowing for 3 days straight, and make a bundle of money.