PDA

View Full Version : Ideas needed for using this wood

Kathy Marshall
12-26-2010, 11:04 AM
My BIL brought this over yesterday. He and my sister have a house in Mexico and this came in with a load of firewood. He thinks they call it Bravo Wood. The wood is just really cool! It seems to be pretty dense, the wood is heavy considering that it's missing about 50% of what should be there. The ends are not sealed but don't show any signs of checking.
The only think I can think of is to try to get some big enough slices to use for pen blanks.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Lee Koepke
12-26-2010, 11:11 AM
A rustic, NE candle stand?

Turn the bottom and top, leaving the unique area in the middle?

David E Keller
12-26-2010, 11:26 AM
That's cool. The color reminds me of manzanita. I think I'd try a kind of hollow form/closed form turned end grain to take advantage of that wonderful shape. I'd have some cling wrap ready for the hollowing!

Jim King
12-26-2010, 1:00 PM
We have a similar wood type here in the Amazon. I cut slices and put them in a plastic tub and then filled the voids with a mix of fiberglass resin and sawdust and then turned them. This is the result. Just let the wood dry well before doing this or the mix will seperate away from the wood if it shrinks. Patiance.

Don Alexander
12-26-2010, 1:05 PM
looks like some awesome pen blanks to me though i'm sure you will find a way to make something pretty cool other than pens

Rick Markham
12-26-2010, 2:49 PM
Bet you could make some killer finials out of some of it too!

Scott Hackler
12-26-2010, 3:42 PM
I was going to suggest a similar process like what Alan used for his contest winning HF. Make a form, insert wood, pour in resin.... I guess. If you could do this and let it cure under a vacume, it would probally work best. Otherwise I only see pen blanks.

James Combs
12-26-2010, 3:59 PM
We have a similar wood type here in the Amazon. I cut slices and put them in a plastic tub and then filled the voids with a mix of fiberglass resin and sawdust and then turned them. This is the result. Just let the wood dry well before doing this or the mix will seperate away from the wood if it shrinks. Patiance.

Kathy, I think something like Jim is suggesting would really be cool.