PDA

View Full Version : advise please...

Russell Eaton
12-26-2010, 9:55 AM
I am blessed with several lathes. I have a friend that wants to buy the 1236 jet. I don't use it a lot because I have a 1014 and a 1642. I am thinking of selling it and using some Christmas money with it to buy the new Delta midi. I like the idea of being able to have another variable speed and the reverse for sanding is REAL nice. So what does the turning public think? I have turned on the new Delta and like the lathe overall, and all of my chucks/tools should work with it. Thanks for any input, Russell

Clint Baxter
12-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Don't know how you could go wrong with that plan. The Delta is a super lathe and you might find it you're go to lathe from that point forward.

Clint

Bernie Weishapl
12-26-2010, 10:59 AM
What are you waiting for?:D:D I think the plan is a super plan.

Bill Bulloch
12-26-2010, 11:12 AM
By all means ..... GET THE DELTA. I have both. The Jet 1236 is a piece of junk. I use it only for disc sanding and buffing. I turn the headstock outward and attach a MDF disc with 20" sand paper to it for my segmenting work.

You say you are going to sell it to a freind... well if you want to keep him as a friend I'd sell it to him cheap.

Tim Thiebaut
12-26-2010, 11:50 AM
Wow those are the harshest words I have ever heard regarding a Jet lathe, I have heard nothing but good about them, and I love my little 1220vs. What is it you dont like about it? I kind of had in the back of my mind that lathe would be my next step up in a couple of years so I would like to hear your input about it.

Don Alexander
12-26-2010, 1:09 PM
what could be cooler than your friend happily spinning into the vortex AND a new toy to enjoy? :D

Brian Libby
12-26-2010, 2:00 PM
calling the jet 1236 a piece of junk is really harsh.
for the price it is a nice lathe ! it is an entry level machine-when using it for what it is designed for, it does just fine.

Russell Eaton
12-26-2010, 2:27 PM
I agree on the comment being harsh. It IS a entry level lathe, but is no where near the lathe that my 1642 is. It is very light and will walk if it has no added weight. It is a little underpowered. I have not been able to turn outboard due to the elbow extension that is supplied for the needed reach. The rest will bounce and tool control is nearly impossible. My friend has a 1014 already, he is wanting something with a little more capacity. I was thinking about selling it for 400$. Is that a good price. I have had the lathe for almost 1 year. I have only used it 4 or 5 times since I got the 1642. The Delta I am looking at has a Nova chuck included. Thanks again for the input. Russell

Don Alexander
12-26-2010, 2:38 PM
there are ways to add weight to reduce the walking/vibration issues if your friend understands what it is and still wants to buy should be no problems there

as for price that would ultimately be up to you and the buyer ..... you ask for what you need to get out of it and if that is acceptable you got a deal
if,however, you feel like you are taking advantage of a friend then its between you and your conscience

being as how its a friend i would assume that he has seen the lathe maybe even used it some? again if he knows what it is he is buying you can likely work something out that is acceptable to you both, nothing like a win/win situation :)

Bill Bulloch
12-26-2010, 5:18 PM
Wow those are the harshest words I have ever heard regarding a Jet lathe, I have heard nothing but good about them, and I love my little 1220vs. What is it you dont like about it? I kind of had in the back of my mind that lathe would be my next step up in a couple of years so I would like to hear your input about it.

I am not knocking any of the Jet lathes except the 1236. My first lathe was the 1014 and I loved it. But nothing is right about my 1236. I bought it new and within a month the Cast Iron Motor Mount broke. Jet replaced the entire motor under warranty, no questions ask. By just hand tighting I have broken the Cast Iron Headstock Lock Handle and the Tool Rest Extension Handle, they just snapped in half. But by far the two wrost things about it is the Reeves Drive system and the Tail Stock. The Reeves Drive eats belts up; I have to buy them by the six pack. As-a-matter-of-fact I just changed one and I have been using it only for sanding and on the lowest speed (which by the was is about 550 rpms). I have also replaced the motor puller three times and the key twiced. The Tail Stock Spindle uses a thin C-Ring like you buy at Home Depot. Under pressure it slips out of it grove and damages the Tail Stock Screw which has to be replaced also. I paid to replace these twice and the last time I complained about it and they sent me a new one free. I took that one to a machine shop and had them weld a thick washer in place of the C-Ring.

The Jet 1236 would not be a step up from the 1220. Better would be to just added an extention to the 1220. Or save up for the 1642

Russell Eaton
12-26-2010, 6:01 PM
Bill I have had the same problem with the tail stock. They replaced it after the second problem. I have not had any problems since. My friend is aware of all the issues that I have had and he still wants the lathe so I think it will be his soon. I agree about saving up for the 1642, I love mine.

John Keeton
12-26-2010, 6:09 PM
It is my understanding that the Harbor Freight 34706 is a virtual clone of the Jet 1236. I started out with the HF lathe, and thought it was an excellent lathe for the money - about $249 on sale, and less with a 20% coupon. I guess that would be the real issue on value. If the HF lathe can be bought for $200, that may effect the value of the 1236. The Jet, of course, has a much better warranty and resale value.

Brian Libby
12-26-2010, 6:10 PM
@ Bil: Sounds like you got a real lemon, I never had any problems with mine!