PDA

View Full Version : Christmas was a hit!

Rob Holcomb
12-26-2010, 9:19 AM
All of the pens, confetti lights and WineO I made as Christmas gifts were a huge hit. As much fun as I had making the gifts, the reactions were beyond what I expected. It became almost comical though when giving the pens. I had bought Walnut cases to go with the pens and out of the 29 pens I gave to friends and loved ones, I was asked by 28 of them if I made the case too. I wish I had because they seemed to be just as impressed with the cases as they were with the pens LOL Next Christmas all woodworking gifts will be presented in paper bags HAHAHA

Harvey M. Taylor
12-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Well Bob, are you going to make the paper bags too? Just kidding, Max.

Rick Markham
12-26-2010, 2:57 PM
Rob, These are some of the small boxes I make, they don't take too long, and always make a good impression. The construction is explained in this thread. They have a good wow factor too! http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?155429-Matched-grain-Maple-Burl-Boxes

Kevin Lucas
12-26-2010, 4:48 PM
The talk of small boxes got me to thinking. Most I have seen for pens have a little curved recess for them to sit into. Maybe a convex router bit like they use in sign making? Resaw a pretty scrap, add the channel with a router and add hinges.

Steve Schlumpf
12-26-2010, 9:33 PM
Rob - congrats on your turning success! Having folks like and appreciate your efforts is a huge boost to your incentive to push further ahead with your turning skills! Have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing your custom designed pen box! :D

Bernie Weishapl
12-26-2010, 10:29 PM
Rob that is great. It really is a nice when people appreciate what you do. It makes it all worth it and give you incentive to continue on and get better at what you do.