PDA

View Full Version : Grr-Ripper use with TS question

Rick Schubert
01-06-2005, 1:56 PM
How do people use their TS over-blade guard/dust collection hood with the Grr-Ripper? Can the hood just be postioned higher and still collect the dust?

Thanks, Rick

Jim Becker
01-06-2005, 2:00 PM
IMHO, you can't use this kind of push block or simliar when the guard is going to interfere with the motion of the Grr-Ripper or your hand. It's a trade-off between safety from flying objects and dust with the safety aspects of the particular push block design. You can raise the guard up and still get some collection, but it will still be in the way of your motions and that's not a good thing.

Honestly, this is one of the reasons that my overarm guard doesn't get used during ripping operations...I pretty much only employ it when working with panels and sheet goods because using a proper push block for ripping is more important to me at that point. Others may feel differently.

Jack Diemer
01-06-2005, 2:11 PM
Ditto, no easy effective way to do the dust collection and properly use the gripper. I use the gripper whenever I work close to the blade, otherwiseI have the overarm dust collection over the blade.

Mike Kelly
01-06-2005, 8:23 PM
You cannot safely use an overarm blade guard while using the Grr Ripper. Get it out of your way. With a zero clearance insert and the way it is used most dust collection is from the table saw base. Just live with it.