PDA

View Full Version : straight edge where it counts?

Michael MacDonald
12-26-2010, 12:17 AM
just purchased a pinnacle precision straight edge... is it reasonable that it is bowed along the face? after all, the edge is what matters... it is only 1/4 inch or so... I am thinking the veritas product perhaps woudl have been a better choice.

oh... and the MDF case was slightly damaged in shipping... not enough to complain unless piling on.

I am on the fence with this. Should I just get over it?

Chip Lindley
12-26-2010, 1:17 AM
I would say the straight edge was damaged in shipment and needs replacing. Contact the seller and complain Pronto!

glenn bradley
12-26-2010, 2:13 AM
Return or replace for sure.

Richard Wagner
12-26-2010, 7:58 AM
The straight edge is either straight or it is not. Did you buy a "maybe not so straight" straight edge. Your decision.

John Coloccia
12-26-2010, 8:04 AM
If it's bowed along the face you'll never be able to use it to measure a straight line. It doesn't need to be flat to a high degree of precision along the face but it does need to be more or less flat. Let's say you turned a cylinder and you want to know if the cylinder is straight, you can't use your bent straight edge to do that. Definitely send it back.

Alan Heffernan
12-26-2010, 11:05 AM
Straight is straight, not bowed!

Michael MacDonald
12-26-2010, 5:03 PM
OK... thanks for all the replies. seems to be consensus that I am not being an unreasonable picky consumer if I return this. My thought was that the bow could impact the straightness of the edge if there is any twist to it... so it goes back to wouldn'tcraft... next stop--veritas.

Michael MacDonald
12-27-2010, 6:39 PM
great experience with woodcraft... call answered by human on first ring, no problem in returning it. they suggested not going to the store for the return--the franchise might not take the return since it was bought on the inet.

also, here is a bonus: I was looking for the receipt and found out that the shipment was supposed to contain three items. only two boxes where shipped... the third item was not in either. The woodcraft cust service rep said she checked the weight of the shipped boxes and immediately confirmed there was no third item shipped. so they are fixing that issue too... overall, good cust. service experience.