PDA

View Full Version : Gardening tools with purpleheart handles - Pic

Aaron Buys
12-25-2010, 9:40 PM
Finished these late last night (early this morning) as a Christmas gift. The handles are purpleheart and finished with tung oil. The oil was still a bit tacky yet today for the unwrapping but the recipient seemed to be pleased anyways. I was extremely surprised at how dense purpleheart is and I found myself sharpening fairly often during the project. This is the first official turning I've done that wasn't a pen but I'm fairly happy with how they turned out. Thanks for those of you that helped me choose a finish!

Ken Hill
12-25-2010, 9:48 PM
They turned out pretty nice!

Michael James
12-25-2010, 9:53 PM
Nice simple design and the finish looks very nice. Purpleheart will test your sharpening chops fo sho!
Keep em coming!
mj

Bernie Weishapl
12-25-2010, 11:05 PM
Those are really nice looking tools and handles.

Rick Markham
12-26-2010, 3:31 PM
Very nice handles! Purpleheart has a very high silica content which means it's very abrasive on your cutting edges as you found out! Certainly are some of the nicest looking gardening tools I have seen!

Steve Schlumpf
12-26-2010, 4:28 PM
Wow - very nice handles! Don't think I've ever seen such fancy ones on garden tools! Nice work! I am sure the gift was appreciated!

Kevin Lucas
12-26-2010, 4:50 PM
I'm glad my wife is off making dinner. She likes looking at the stuff in here and garden tools are right up her alley ) Those turned out great Aaron.