PDA

View Full Version : any reason not to pull the trigger?

Roger Chandler
12-25-2010, 8:56 PM
with the kindness of my family shown me this Christmas, I now have funds available to pull the trigger on a monster Hollowing rig, or another type if I desire.

I am looking for pros and cons...........cause I want to get the best I can, the most versatile as far as operation and ease of operation, and just want to get some wisdom from the Creekers who already own a hollowing rig.

I know I want a laser, and I have heard so much good here about the monster system, and I have heard about and seen the Jamison system at our symposium in October. I would like to know how the 2 stack up with one another, and if the first should be an articulating or captured handle rig?

Would you take the time to give your reasons why you prefer the one you do.........it would indeed be a real help to someone who wants to get it right the first time.

I think I have altogether eliminated the Elbo rig, from information I received from posters when I was asking about it a few weeks ago. Thanks for your input! Much appreciated!

Brian Libby
12-25-2010, 9:09 PM
I like the Jamieson system. It is extremely easy to set up and use.

Michael James
12-25-2010, 9:49 PM
Roger,
I boght the mini monster because I will be staying with the lil delta for a long while. It is identical to the full size rig, but there is no captured sys for the mini. The articulating unit is smooth as butter and you can literelly direct the cutting bit with a couple of fingers. It also comes with several different & easily replaceable cutters. Space is my main consideration in all this, and the unit just slides off and I store it out of the way when not in use. If you are going into BIG pieces regularly you might want a captured system with a honkin boring bar.
For a hobbyist, Im totally satisfied with the mini,
Good luck and happy hollowing!
Michael

Rick Markham
12-25-2010, 9:55 PM
Roger, this is a very timely thread and thank your for posting it. I am in exactly the same situation, it is time for me to order my hollowing rig. I am torn between the Monster Articulated or Captured, and the Clark hollowing rig. I need to check into the Jameson. I am anxiously awaiting the replies

David E Keller
12-25-2010, 9:56 PM
I've only used handheld hollowers and the monster system... The monster is a pleasure to use. I bought the combo unit, but so far the articulated system has done everything that I've wanted to do. I haven't even touched the captured system. Unless you have your mind set on forms taller than 10", I think the articulating system will do what you want.

Roger Chandler
12-25-2010, 9:58 PM
Roger, this is a very timely thread and thank your for posting it. I am in exactly the same situation, it is time for me to order my hollowing rig. I am torn between the Monster Articulated or Captured, and the Clark hollowing rig. I need to check into the Jameson. I am anxiously awaiting the replies

Rick,

I guess both of us can learn as folks respond to this inquiry. I figure that I have one shot at this, and I want to get it right the first time, so I do not know of any better way than to have those who have the various systems tell us what they like and don't about them. Hopefully, neither of us have to re-invent the wheel! ;)

Ken Hill
12-25-2010, 9:59 PM
John Keeton has been creeping into my thoughts when ever I even think of a hollowing system. I think he gets a kick back on the Monster set up haha!

I would pull the trigger on the articulated mini in a heart beat, but my brain is stuck in "practical" mode. I have a hard time making anything I cant use even though I know many many items can be turned using the system that are very usable. Keetons sublimable messaging will have me ordering one night at 3 am.......

(In all seriousness, ive researched and searched these systems to death and the Monster seems to have a broad and large dedicated fanbase.)

Roger Chandler
12-25-2010, 10:08 PM
MJ, DAvid, Ken & Brian,

I am liking what I am hearing so far about the monster. Is there anything the Jamison can do that the Monster can't? I look forward to hearing from some of the Jamison users about the pros and cons in their experience with it. For example, I think the standard boring bar is 3/4" on both units, and I was wondering if either accept a larger bar if it were needed?

Jim Burr
12-25-2010, 10:50 PM
I've run through 8 pieces on my Monster and it gets better to use each time. Plenty of bits and options...wouldn't change a thing.

Bernie Weishapl
12-25-2010, 11:02 PM
I have both the Monster captured and the articulating system. I love them both and would buy again. Both are a pleasure to use. If I could only have one it would be the articulating arm unit.

Steve Schlumpf
12-25-2010, 11:44 PM
Roger - have you done a search on hollowing systems here? Lots of info and opinions available.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?126163-Captive-Monster&highlight=hollowing+systems
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?146853-captive-v-articulated-arm&highlight=hollowing+systems
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?144077-Basic-question-about-hollowing-tools&highlight=hollowing+systems
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?141069-Survey-Best-Hollowing-Tool-System&highlight=hollowing+systems

I have both of the Monster systems and absolutely love using them! If I had to do it all over again - I would have picked up the systems sooner! I highly suggest the Monster systems because of the exceptional quality of the tools and the high level of customer support that Randy is known for!

If you have anyone that lives close by, or in your turning club, that you can get some hands-on time with different systems - it would help a lot in coming to a decision. If you feel like a road trip - you are welcome to come up here and try out both of my systems! It is snowing out right now but it is supposed to slow down a little by Monday! :D

Best of luck with your decision!

dennis kranz
12-25-2010, 11:55 PM
I use the articulating system and it has worked perfectly.
Dennis

Kelvin Burton
12-26-2010, 12:27 AM
I tried out the Jamison system at SWAT in August and really liked it. There's a 1 1/4" bar if you need more than the 3/4" and there's a larger version of the complete system. Lyle does a convincing demonstration! I also tried the Elbo articulated system but I prefer the Jamison. Lyle has plans on his web site if you want to make your own and that's next on my list!

Harlan Coverdale
12-26-2010, 3:48 AM
Roger,
I boght the mini monster because I will be staying with the lil delta for a long while. It is identical to the full size rig, but there is no captured sys for the mini.

Just a small correction, but the mini is not really identical to the full rig. It is very similar, but scaled smaller.The mini has a 5/" boring bar and the big one uses a 3/4" bar. Other parts are also scaled larger. ;)

Roger Chandler
12-26-2010, 5:22 AM
Roger - have you done a search on hollowing systems here? Lots of info and opinions available.

I have both of the Monster systems and absolutely love using them! If I had to do it all over again - I would have picked up the systems sooner! I highly suggest the Monster systems because of the exceptional quality of the tools and the high level of customer support that Randy is known for!

If you have anyone that lives close by, or in your turning club, that you can get some hands-on time with different systems - it would help a lot in coming to a decision. If you feel like a road trip - you are welcome to come up here and try out both of my systems! It is snowing out right now but it is supposed to slow down a little by Monday! :D

Best of luck with your decision!

Steve,

My lathe has an 18" swing, which is smaller than the 3520b, and larger than your Jet 16/42. Would Randy have to custom make for that size or is the one you have adjustable to an 18" swing?

joel nucifore
12-26-2010, 6:36 AM
I have the jaminson and love it . It works smooth , with the larger bar I have gone up to about 20" deep but a lot of vibration. had a larger bar made for it and gone up to 28"... Very easy to set up used it on a powermatic.. have not tried the monster but alot of good things have been said about it

Jaminson is a nice set up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Blasic
12-26-2010, 6:44 AM
I assume that Randy would make it for your specific lathe. I had Randy make the parts so that the articulating system would fit on all my lathes. I have both systems but am more partial to the articulating system. The laser on these systems is fantastic and so easy to set up. My first choice would be to go with the Monster System without a doubt.
Bill

John Keeton
12-26-2010, 8:19 AM
Ken, no kickback from Randy, but I can confirm that I am one very happy customer!!!:D:D

Roger, I have not used any other system, so I really cannot compare any of them, and I think that really is what you are after. My suggestion would be to try to find a way to play on the various systems so that you can do the comparison. My guess is that the responses you get here will be from owners of the various systems, without much comparison.

I can say that I am glad I got the regular Monster vs. the mini. Works fine on my Delta 46-460.
Steve,

My lathe has an 18" swing, which is smaller than the 3520b, and larger than your Jet 16/42. Would Randy have to custom make for that size or is the one you have adjustable to an 18" swing?The ability to work on a larger swing is really just a function of the length of the main post and its receiver. I don't know what the capacity of mine is, but I would think making those two a little longer would be a simple thing for Randy to do. That would limit the ability to use it on a much smaller lathe, but I can't see the need to do that.

As for the size of the boring bars, I would think that any size boring bar would work so long as it was milled to a 5/8" male end to fit the receiving female on the articulated arm. However, I think the ability to go deeper than 9" would be more suited to a captured system vs. the articulated system.

Josh Bowman
12-26-2010, 8:44 AM
Roger,
I've been seriously turning since June 2010. On recommendation I bit the bullet and got the Monster articulating arm system. Within 30 minutes of unpacking, I was hollowing. The next day I read the instruction to insure I put it together correctly:eek:, and I had......that's how intuitive the system is. He sends an email as the order is shipped that is simple and clear as to what not to do. His system has ever thing you need. You can buy additional bits from Enco cheap, but don't have too. The fit and finish of Randy's system is near perfect. The laser is bright and easy to handle. Hollowing with it is almost relaxing or mesmerizing. I just lean on against my lathe in a comfortable position and stroke the bit into the wood, setting the laser the thickness I wish ahead of the cutting action. I'm certain other systems are very nice and can do as well. But I can say that the Monster is extremely well built with a focus on attention to detail
Good luck.

Roger Chandler
12-26-2010, 8:47 AM
Thanks John, and every one else,

This information is helpful to me. John what you stated about the main post is what I thought just looking at the pictures on Randy's website. I like the idea of an articulated system, and maybe I will go for that, then get a captured one down the road after mastering the first system.

I also wonder about the gap size between the ways, if most are standard.......I think mine is 1-1/2 inch gap and the thickness of the ways is about 5/8 or 3/4, but I would have to measure to be sure.

Well, its off to Church, in the snow, no less!

Steve Schlumpf
12-26-2010, 8:53 AM
Roger - email or call Randy and ask whatever questions you have. He'll help you decide which hollowing system will be your best fit. Randy finds out which lathe you are using and then makes the system to fit - even going as far as painting my systems to match my lathe!

http://monster-lathe-tools.com/cart.php

George Guadiane
12-26-2010, 9:45 AM
John Keeton has been creeping into my thoughts when ever I even think of a hollowing system. I think he gets a kick back on the Monster set up haha!

I would pull the trigger on the articulated mini in a heart beat, but my brain is stuck in "practical" mode. I have a hard time making anything I cant use even though I know many many items can be turned using the system that are very usable. Keetons sublimable messaging will have me ordering one night at 3 am.......

(In all seriousness, ive researched and searched these systems to death and the Monster seems to have a broad and large dedicated fanbase.)

Well I don't get a kickback, only the pleasure of knowing that I have recommended a good quality product that works VERY well for me and that ahs not yet garnered serious a negative comment from anyone who has actually used it.
Randy is an American entrepreneur, making a high quality product.
The Monster has my unconditional recommendation.

Thom Sturgill
12-26-2010, 11:54 AM
... but there is no captured sys for the mini.
Lyle sells a guided system for the mini. I saw it demonstrated on one at our symposium last year.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-26-2010, 12:15 PM
I bought the Jamieson system....used it on my Jet VS Mini quite well and then when I bought my PM3520B, I simply ordered a new capturing tool rest. I kept the mini-capturing tool rest in case I ever want to do demos. I haven't attained enough skill to warrant using it for that purpose yet.

Brian Libby
12-26-2010, 12:19 PM
Jamieson system does have the larger boring bar and if you talk with lyle he will make sure you get the right setup

James Combs
12-26-2010, 1:23 PM
...The ability to work on a larger swing is really just a function of the length of the main post and its receiver. I don't know what the capacity of mine is, but I would think making those two a little longer would be a simple thing for Randy to do. That would limit the ability to use it on a much smaller lathe, but I can't see the need to do that...

I have the Mini Monster and I love it. It was originally setup to be used on my 12" swing Griz G0658 Midi Lathe but I have use it successfully on my Jet 1642. There is enough adjustment in the mounting post to raise the height the additional 2" (to center). There is no issue with the distance between the ways because the mounting pad does not have a tenon into the ways. If you look at movies of the monster in action you will see that many of them have the mounting plate turned to position the support post off to the front side of the lathe way. A tenon would not allow that. I simply drilled and tapped a larger plate (then my midi's) for the lower clamping plate and now I am able to use it on either machine. Again I love my Monster.:cool:

Chris Stolicky
12-26-2010, 1:29 PM
My recommendation is to first decide which type of system you think you want - articulated vs. captured. You will probably eventually end up with both! : )

I ended up doing quite a bit of research and decided to build my own systems this year. It was way cheaper for me to go that route. I have found that I used the articulating system much more than the captured. I think the captured systems are better suited for deeper hollowing.

Now, with the above said, if I had the money sitting around, I would choose the Monster systems. Mr. Guadiane introduced me to his articulating system and it is a dream to use, and very good quality. I also met Randy at the National Symposium and did purchase one of his adjustable cutting heads. That piece was much easier to buy than construct. Whatever you choose, get the laser attachment. It will save you a lot of grief later.

Good luck.

Edit Note - one thing I should of added - While making your own tools can save you money and is rewarding, it can significantly hamper your available time for turning. Time vs. money?

Bill Hensley
12-27-2010, 9:49 AM
Hi all, I'm new to the neighborhood but have been gleaning great advice from here for awhile. Based on all the favorable comments about the Monster system I ordered the articulating unit for my 3520. Received it last week and have already completed 3 pieces. My only regret is I didn't order it sooner, I love it! The quality of workmanship is exceptional.

I haven't tried any other systems but I'm completely satisfied with my purchase. The Monster system has taken the stress out of turning hollow forms. Now I just lean up against the lathe, I don't have to climb all over it or work from the backside.

Thank you all for pointing me in the right direction.

Just an FYI, prior to the Monster I was using the Proforme tools with 3 different shafts and a long handle. Randy informed me the shafts would fit the head on the Monster, they sure 'nuf do! I tried it and it's a sweet combo.

Roger Chandler
12-27-2010, 10:07 AM
I have decided to go with the Monster articulated system.......if Randy can make it up for me, and take my order, then I will pull the trigger today. I left him a message on his website........so I am waiting for his reply. I am probably going to get another chuck as well, most likely another SN2, as I already have one and the original supernova as well............I want to keep the jaws interchangable. I might order some DVD's as well...........Santa was good to me this year!

John Keeton
12-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Roger, you have made a wise decision!!! While you are waiting on the Monster, go ahead and get some extra cutter stock from Enco.

The Enco links are - http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PMPXNO=939775 (http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=383-5312&PMPXNO=939775) and http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PMPXNO=939967 (http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=383-5316&PMPXNO=939967)

The cost is about $.91 ea. for the 3/16" and $1.10 ea. for the 1/4". Of course, there is some shipping.

Hi all, I'm new to the neighborhood ...completed 3 pieces.Bill, great to have you post!! Congrats on the Monster, and, of course, now we expect to see some pics of those turnings!!;)

Roger Chandler
12-27-2010, 10:56 AM
[QUOTE=John Keeton;1594086]Roger, you have made a wise decision!!! While you are waiting on the Monster, go ahead and get some extra cutter stock from Enco.[INDENT]The Enco links are - http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PMPXNO=939775 (http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=383-5312&PMPXNO=939775) and http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PMPXNO=939967 (http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=383-5316&PMPXNO=939967)

The cost is about $.91 ea. for the 3/16" and $1.10 ea. for the 1/4". Of course, there is some shipping.

Thanks John, I will certainly keep enco in mind. I have 2 spare 3/16 cutters on hand that I got from a member of our turning club, but I have found out that they do wear fairly quickly, as I have about worn down the originals that came with my Ellsworth hand held tools. Funny, now that I am going to get the Monster system, I wonder what I am going to do with the others? :D

I might cut them out of the custom handles I turned for them, and well..........I might just leave them alone, keep them for times when I feel like I need some rough treatment! :eek::eek::D:D:D

Roger Chandler
12-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Well,

The trigger has been pulled...........talked to Randy a few minutes ago, and the process is set in motion for him to build my hollowing rig. I am one of about 80 he has to do in the next month, so far, but I should get it before long.............when it arrives, and I get it set up, and maybe a first hollow form off it, the pictures will be forthcoming.

Now, I have got to build a steady rest............I got my inline skate wheels in last week.......now I have to check through my lumber pile to see if I have enough plywood scraps to make it, or if I have to go to Lowes or Home Depot. Always something! My better half is still waiting for me to make her book cases........that will be done when it gets warm enough for glue to set up :D springtime!

Bill Hensley
12-27-2010, 1:51 PM
Roger, building a steady rest was the first thing I did after I turned my first piece with the Monster. I've had my wheels for months but never encountered a need for the steady rest. I haven't needed it yet but I didn't want the lack of one to impede progress when I get inspired.

Once you use the Monster you won't give the purchase decision a second thought. Now you just have to be patient, very patient.

Michael James
12-27-2010, 1:52 PM
Well,

The trigger has been pulled...........talked to Randy a few minutes ago, and the process is set in motion for him to build my hollowing rig. I am one of about 80 he has to do in the next month, so far, but I should get it before long.............when it arrives, and I get it set up, and maybe a first hollow form off it, the pictures will be forthcoming.

Now, I have got to build a steady rest............I got my inline skate wheels in last week.......now I have to check through my lumber pile to see if I have enough plywood scraps to make it, or if I have to go to Lowes or Home Depot. Always something! My better half is still waiting for me to make her book cases........that will be done when it gets warm enough for glue to set up :D springtime!

Well, you did all your research, asked around and made a good call! You will not regret this purchase, and I guarantee you're gonna love it!
Hapy Hollowing!
Michael

Roger Chandler
12-27-2010, 3:35 PM
Thanks MJ,

That is exactly my expectation! I don't believe ALL the people on this forum would lie to me! :eek::eek::D:D:D

Seriously, I really do appreciate all the good advice I have received from my fellow "Creekers," and I hope to raise my game a few notches with this new capability. ;)

Roger Chandler
12-27-2010, 8:27 PM
Roger, building a steady rest was the first thing I did after I turned my first piece with the Monster. I've had my wheels for months but never encountered a need for the steady rest. I haven't needed it yet but I didn't want the lack of one to impede progress when I get inspired.

Once you use the Monster you won't give the purchase decision a second thought. Now you just have to be patient, very patient.

Bill,

Do you have a picture of your steady rest? I like to see what folks have done, that way I can glean good ideas from many folks! Thanks!

Bill Hensley
12-28-2010, 8:38 AM
Roger I can describe my version quicker than getting a picture posted. It's the hexagon model with the frame made of 3/4+ 2" wide oak. I made the joints with pocket hole screws and glue. I cut slots for the wheel guides on 5 sides and made the cuts/cleanout prior to assembly. The interior working diameter is ~15". The first set of wheel guides were too short if I wanted to use it for spindle work so I made a longer second set so all 4 wheels would touch in the center. If you saw it you would see I went for function not form. If you need more info let me know.