PDA

View Full Version : Jet JJP-12HH--where to buy?

Matt Meiser
12-25-2010, 8:25 PM
Santa was good to me this year and I'm considering getting a 12" J/P machine. I've seen comments on the JJP-12HH being available for about $2500 delivered but haven't found it offered at that. I have one email quote for $2650. Eveyone seems to have it advertised for $2999.99 so I'm assuming that's a MAP. Anyone have a good source?

Joe Leigh
12-25-2010, 8:32 PM
Toolzone has it for $2799.00 with free delivery and residential liftgate service included.

Paul McGaha
12-25-2010, 9:58 PM
Hi Matt,

I usually use toolsplus for that sort of purchase. They're at $2999.

PHM

Rod Sheridan
12-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Matt, when I went through the process a couple of years ago I chose the Hammer A3-31 after looking at all the combination machines except Grizzly.

I bought the Hammer A3-31, which once again is on a promotional sale.

http://mirrorfelder.cnh.at/Teaser-pdf/shop/WA2010/Felder_Christmas_Promotion_2010_USA_02_enc.pdf

It would be well worth your time to look at it considering how close in price it is to the Jet.

Regards, Rod.

Scott Donley
12-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Matt, You might give these guys a call. The website is not always up to date with price but they will work with you on price. I bought my lathe from them and would buy again.
http://www.equipmentsalesandsurplus.com/category_s/35.htm

greg a bender
12-26-2010, 8:05 PM
Matt,
Too bad you missed the last go 'round of the sale. I missed the first sale in September and was kicking myself. Then they had the second chance sale. Picked up the JJP-12 for 1599.00. The HH was $2199 (as I recall). Just couldn't convince myself it was worth the extra money.
So far, I am very happy with the regular knives. The finish is as good as my old Inca 550. (and that is saying something!).
Depending on what wood you work, I really don't feel you will miss the HH if you find the regular at a decent price.

Greg A.

Matt Meiser
12-26-2010, 8:29 PM
I'm kind of thinking the same and I can always put the real Byrd head in it later for $985 down the road. Unfortunately I couldn't have bought during the sale. Not positive I am now but looking. I'm also debating buying a 15" HH planer and making a sled for those rare times I can't do what I want on my current jointer. I'd buy the Grizzly G0634Z but from what I understand the fence design gives it a considerably larger footprint and requires removing the fence for changeover. Plus it requires a 25A circuit instead of the 20A circuit I currently have in place (though I might move the machine anyway.) The Hammer is at least $1000 over what I want to spend before shipping. I'm not opposed to paying more for a quality tool but that's just not an issue here based on my reading. Everyone seems very happy with their Jet and Grizzly machines in this area.

Curt Harms
12-27-2010, 8:05 AM
Matt, You might give these guys a call. The website is not always up to date with price but they will work with you on price. I bought my lathe from them and would buy again.
http://www.equipmentsalesandsurplus.com/category_s/35.htm

That's where I got mine. I live on the East Coast and they're on the West Coast but eh, minor details:cool:. My machine was drop shipped from Tennessee and arrived in good shape. The only glitch was the first truck arrived without a liftgate. The driver asked if I had a dock. I called Neal at equipment sales & surplus and he sounded.....upset. He'd paid for lift gate delivery. The next day a straight truck showed up with a lift gate. I was happy with the transaction.

mreza Salav
12-27-2010, 9:05 AM
Have you considered buying a used machine?
Here is one I found using search: http://mohave.craigslist.org/tls/2119503573.html
I bought a MM FS350 recently and had it shipped from Las Vegas to Chicago (with lift gates at both ends) for $470.
You will end up with a larger and better machine for about the same price. Just a thought...

Matt Meiser
12-27-2010, 9:23 AM
I'd buy used if there was one within reasonable driving distance but not if I had to deal with shipping. Just too much to go wrong with too little protection for me as the buyer.

Philip Rodriquez
12-27-2010, 9:24 AM
+1 for Tool Zone. I suggest calling and asking to speak to Larry. In my experience, they have beaten everyone on price and service.

Chris Nolin
12-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Is Fort Collins, CO too far to drive for that machine? Probably. :)

Matt Meiser
12-27-2010, 11:07 AM
Don't think I haven't thought about it. ~1250 miles each way. Don't think that work, even if we met in the middle in central IA.

Scott Donley
12-27-2010, 12:06 PM
That's where I got mine. I live on the East Coast and they're on the West Coast but eh, minor details:cool:. My machine was drop shipped from Tennessee and arrived in good shape. The only glitch was the first truck arrived without a liftgate. The driver asked if I had a dock. I called Neal at equipment sales & surplus and he sounded.....upset. He'd paid for lift gate delivery. The next day a straight truck showed up with a lift gate. I was happy with the transaction.Neal is a good guy, he even brought by a BS fence by my house so I did not have to make the 60 mile trip to pick it up. ( he lived near me ) They did have a Jet 12 J/P for 1200 hundred a few weeks ago as surplus.

Matt Meiser
12-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Unfortunately they can't ship that surplus one.

greg a bender
12-27-2010, 3:55 PM
Matt,

Just for what it's worth, I remember reading the manual (yeah, I'm one of those) that came with my JJP-12. On the spec. sheet, the only difference on the HH, other than the head, was the feed rate. The straight knife one is 20 FPM and the HH was less. I seem to recall there was a difference in the motor as well. Unfortunately, the manual is out in the shop, about 100 feet away and under about 2 feet of blowing snow, so I can't quote exact.

When I read that, I thought changing to a HH head might be a bit more involved than I thought or that I want to do.
I would say that if you really need the HH, then paying for it now (only hurts real bad once) might be a better option.

Greg A.

greg a bender
12-27-2010, 5:08 PM
OK, just snowshoe'd out to my shop and grabbed the manual.
The only difference is the feed rate, which would suggest pulley's.

HTH

Greg A

Curt Harms
12-27-2010, 7:12 PM
OK, just snowshoe'd out to my shop and grabbed the manual.
The only difference is the feed rate, which would suggest pulley's.

HTH

Greg A

Greg, thank you for that. Big difference between 20 FPM & 12 FPM. I have the straight knife version and it doesn't seem all that easy to change the feed speed. The rumor about the delay in introducing the HH version was having to reengineer the stock feed mechanism.

Jeffrey Makiel
12-27-2010, 10:19 PM
The last round of Jet sales did not include the HH version with the helical head. Greg mentioned that he may recall a sale when it was $2199. If this happened, then I really missed a great deal. The best I ever seen was $2400 (20% off) about 18 months ago. I suspect Jet was reducing inventory as the economy slumped.

According to Byrd, they told me that many customers installed their helical head in the standard JJP-12 without issue. However, a Jet tech rep told me that they needed to modify the machine (feed speed?) when Jet offered the JJP-12HH which delayed its introduction for more than one year.

I would not buy another machine with straight knives again. However, I'm not big on doing the modification myself. I don't like the idea of fooling with a new machine and goofing up its warranty.

I've looked over a few J/P machines as I procrastinate. I looked at the Grizzly, Hammer and Jet. To me, the Jet would be my first choice: helical head (Grizzly too), most compact, works on a 20amp circuit, and quickest changeover. I can also buy it locally if Jet has another national sale.

Keep us informed if you spot a deal.

-Jeff :)

Matt Meiser
12-28-2010, 8:01 AM
Well, the feed speed difference looks like a deal breaker on a future HH upgrade. Figuring out if its just a pulley change or more would probably be like pulling teeth from Jet and the additional parts cost (and availability) would be an unknown. So it looks like either a JJP-12HH, a G0634 (which is unlikely due to the wasted space required by the fence) or nothing at this time.

Rod Sheridan
12-28-2010, 8:30 AM
Well, the feed speed difference looks like a deal breaker on a future HH upgrade. Figuring out if its just a pulley change or more would probably be like pulling teeth from Jet and the additional parts cost (and availability) would be an unknown. So it looks like either a JJP-12HH, a G0634 (which is unlikely due to the wasted space required by the fence) or nothing at this time.

Matt, that's exactly why I wouldn't buy a machine that comes from a reseller.

I have no idea in 20 years if Jet will be able to purchase spare parts from the manufacturer to sell to you or I.

That leaves Felder, Hammer and MiniMax as the manufacturers who own the intellectual property, and will have the drawings, and the ability to make you a part.

That was one of the items I verified when I purchased the Hammer, they still supply parts for decades old machines.

To me, that's a big consideration when laying out that much cash.

Regards, Rod.

Matt Meiser
12-28-2010, 9:01 AM
Well, you twisted what I said into something different that what I said. I was referring to the ability to get information to get a BOM and have the ability to buy individual components (as opposed to buying more expensive assemblies) to convert from one model to another--something I wouldn't expect to very many, if any, manufacturers to support. As a general rule Jet has a good reputation for parts availability.

You are assuming Felder, Hammer, and Minimax stay in business and don't get bought. 4 years ago you could have said the same about Delta's support for old equipment. B&D bought them and scrapped most of that inventory.

Rod Sheridan
12-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Yes Matt, I am assuming that Felder and MiniMax don't get bought by a company that changes their plans.

It's a reasonable bet with Felder as they're a family owned business not subject to the whims of shareholders.

I guess I've seen enough cases of parts that are no longer available because the machines were bought from a company that won't deal with customers directly.

When I owned General equipment I could phone the factory and speak to someone, or have their field service technician come to my house and repair it. Felder are like that, I don't know if MiniMax do that.

I'd rather not complicate the issue by dealing with a third party who have no control over what the manufacturer does when dealing with a machine purchase that I expect to keep for decades.

Regards, Rod.