PDA

View Full Version : forstner block (for lack of a better name)

Bo McCorkle
12-25-2010, 3:31 PM
Once a few years ago i saw a block that almost appeared to have another block floating within and I remeber asking the fella who made it(long before wood took my fancy) how he managed I believe I recall him saying that it was actually fairly simple just took some assorted forstner bits(i at the time had no idea what he was talking about). So anyway to cut to the chase does anyone know what im talking about here I have scoured every magazine and website looking for it but no luck. Lucky me the lady got a full set of woodriver forstners for me so now I feel the need to use them as much as possible and i figured that the block would make a nice and interesting paperweight. anywhoo if any of you fellas could help me out itd be swell. thanks

Bo

Jim Rimmer
12-25-2010, 4:02 PM
Never seen one but have seen them hand-carved. I guess you could drill part way form all six sides and then carve the center loose.

Bo McCorkle
12-25-2010, 4:06 PM
yeah thats the idea right there i wonder if maybe i can tinker long enough to figure it out

Dan Lee
12-25-2010, 4:12 PM
This watcha thinking about? I just made one yesterday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfV_APBk16Q

Bo McCorkle
12-25-2010, 4:23 PM
YAHTZEE!!!!!!!!! thanks ive been going crazy looking for that

Roger Newby
12-25-2010, 4:24 PM
I've made them and they are easy.

Take a 3" square block of wood and mark the center line on all 6 sides. With a 2" forstner bit drill just over 1/2" deep on all six sides. The center block will then be contained inside. You might have to trim just a bit to get it free. A little math is involved...if you use a 3" block and a 2 1/2" bit, you only need go a little over 1/4" deep. Also you can use a smaller bit on the interior block and make a third one. Patience is a big factor here.