PDA

View Full Version : First Pen

Lee Koepke
12-25-2010, 2:55 PM
My first shot at a pen. Its a slimline kit using olive wood. Of course, I pressed the first mechanism in too far ... ended up messing us the twist mechanism getting it out, but thats why we start with inexpensive ones first!

I finished it with the CA process I read about on here (as far as I can go with my limited supplies)

Merry Christmas!

bob svoboda
12-25-2010, 3:27 PM
Looks good Lee. They get easier with practice.

Michael James
12-25-2010, 3:30 PM
Nice pen, Leo! I like the black on the olivewood. My 1st slimline I totally ruined (well, 85% anyway) the mechanism, so it's mine for life! Just a heads up, every kit is different somehow, so pay attention the the instructions 1st time out.
Mery Christmas!
mj

Mark Eisen
12-26-2010, 4:24 AM
Looks good Lee, be warned pen making is very addictive

Matt Ranum
12-26-2010, 9:06 AM
Just a heads up, every kit is different somehow, so pay attention the the instructions 1st time out.
Mery Christmas!
mj

+1000

I've almost screwed quite a few because I didn't pay attention while assembling or bushing placement.

Turned out very nice though!

gary Zimmel
12-26-2010, 9:23 AM
Nice job on the first pen Lee..

Bernie Weishapl
12-26-2010, 11:05 AM
Really nice first pen. They will get easier.

Michael Short
12-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Great job on your first attempt. Looks gooood !!!!

Mark Hix
12-26-2010, 12:14 PM
Great looking pen!
Buy a cheap transfer punch set (HF about $10) and you can fix just about any assembly problem.

Lupe Duncan
12-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Looks good Lee. Love the look with the black hardware.
Doesnt Olive wood smell great when you turn it?

john snowdon
12-26-2010, 3:01 PM
Nice pen, Lee! I started turning pens about 4 weeks ago. Did you read that reply about being pens being addictive? I gave 14 pens as Christmas presents yesterday! That doesn't count the other 5 that will forever be mine because of defects plus the other 8 that I like too much to give away or sell... I hear there is a recovery program but you end up turning bowls instead. Can't wait! Enjoy!

Lee Koepke
12-26-2010, 4:56 PM
Nice pen, Lee! I started turning pens about 4 weeks ago. Did you read that reply about being pens being addictive? I gave 14 pens as Christmas presents yesterday! That doesn't count the other 5 that will forever be mine because of defects plus the other 8 that I like too much to give away or sell... I hear there is a recovery program but you end up turning bowls instead. Can't wait! Enjoy!
Thanks .... I started the re-hab process this morning and started a new bowl ... but as my chores finished up today, I cut / drilled another blank from some spalted oak and gonna give pens another try.

Olive wood does smell good when its being worked, and very nice wood. I am fixin to order a whole mess of pen kits / bottle stopper kits to give me a something to do! I may even teach the Mrs how to turn a pen..

Michael James
12-26-2010, 5:11 PM
Thanks .... I started the re-hab process this morning and started a new bowl ... but as my chores finished up today, I cut / drilled another blank from some spalted oak and gonna give pens another try.

Olive wood does smell good when its being worked, and very nice wood. I am fixin to order a whole mess of pen kits / bottle stopper kits to give me a something to do! I may even teach the Mrs how to turn a pen..

Sorry guys, there is no cure! Welcome to the vortex. Pens to bowls is like a wino going to scotch. It's ok.... we understand!
Michael