PDA

View Full Version : New toy... looking sharp for the New Year

Alan Zenreich
12-25-2010, 2:34 PM
I'll admit it, I like sharp things. Sharp tools, sharp photos, sharp wit.

Originally, I set up my shop to make sharp things... in particular knifemaking.

So several years ago I purchased a Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder to do stock removal knifemaking. Folks, if you think standing before a lathe, chisel in hand is a humbling experience, then you'd really enjoy being humbled by shaping a blade on a moving belt. Add to that all of the alloy and heat treating trivia/technique (you can see my Paragon heat treating furnace in some of the photos) and you can see it's a bit of a vortex all its own. Although I'm well set up to make knives, I never actually completed one... at least not yet.

However, about two years ago I escaped the knifemaking vortex and plunged headlong into woodturning. More cool toys (errr, tools), more stock removal by hand... suits me well.

So I decided to use my Bader III to sharpen my lathe tools. It's a stellar rig, and combined with a Nova Sharpening Center, I can do most anything on it.

Several months ago, I came across a Woodcraft slow speed grinder with a Wolverine, and decided that this would work well for Lauren. We added a small platform, some Raptor setup jigs, and purchased a nice diamond dresser from Bill Grumbine.

Not enough sharpening stuff? I just received a used JoolTool that I found on Craiglist, a mere 3,000 miles away. Lauren and I saw one demo'd at the AAW Symposium and we resisted purchasing one (we found plenty of other things to spend money on). But finding a good deal on this one, I decided that it would be a nice holiday gift for her. Lauren is thrilled with it. I just found a place for it, built a table top for it, and hooked up dust collection.

Not only can she use it for tool sharpening, it's great for fine jewelry work (she does precious metal clay and enameling). It's nice to actually see where you're sharpening!

The JoolTool has its own vortex... the tool is relatively inexpensive (like a lathe), but they get you with all of the abrasives and backer plates. So far we have the basic kit, and will shortly add some diamond discs (it will be interesting to sharpen some carbide tool inserts and a few ceramic knives...), and a set of 3M brush discs (80grit through 1 micron)... and we'll see where to go from there.

Still not enough sharpening stuff? I'm fond of the SpyderCo Triangle Sharpmaker. I have one in my kitchen and I'm thinking of bringing my older one down into the shop for quick skew touchups. I also have a diamond hone purchased from Alan Lacer... very nice for bringing up a burr on scrapers.

Oh, and there are the glass plates and PSA abrasives for the scary sharp system....

So, all I can say is.... life doesn't have to be dull. With the right tools, you can live on the edge.

Fred Perreault
12-25-2010, 2:40 PM
Nice looking gear.....

David Gilbert
12-25-2010, 4:06 PM
And I thought that turning was a vortex! I'm glad that I like all things dull (wink, wink!)

Nice stuff!

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

David

Michael James
12-25-2010, 4:49 PM
I think you're missing something, but I don't know what it is! NICE set up(s)
Merry Christmas

Rick Markham
12-25-2010, 10:07 PM
I've seen the Jooltool and really really would like to get one, you will have to let me know how much you love it so I can be sucked into that vortex as well

Bernie Weishapl
12-25-2010, 11:04 PM
Where's the Tormek Alan??:eek::D:rolleyes:

Great looking set.

Alan Zenreich
12-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Bernie,

Oh, I've considered it....

I like the Tormek, but I already have both the 8" round wheel and flat platen configurations for my Bader. The Tormek didn't really give me any advantages over my current gear. Belt changes are very fast on the Bader, rendering it a very versatile machine.

I certainly don't suggest folk go out and buy a Bader III just for their lathe tool sharpening, though it does make the Tormek look like quite a bargain <vbg>

joel nucifore
12-26-2010, 7:11 AM
The VORTEX is a hard thing to not get caught up in its like the movie TWISTER
would like to hear about the jool tool also

must be nice to have the loml agree with you purchaces......