PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suggestions

Clint Baxter
12-25-2010, 10:40 AM
I picked up this piece of spalted maple last year and have been trying ever since to decide what would be the best way to use it. It is about 23" L x 13" wide x 2-11/16" D.
I've thought about using it for flatwork as well as trying to turn something from it. I definitely intend to get at least a few pens from it, but it will be easy to utilize some scrap portions for that. LOML has mentioned just taking a piece of it and putting it on the wall like a picture. I figured I'd lose about the 11/16" if I did this, leaving me with a 2" thick piece.

The piece is relatively sound but definitely has some differences in density. I did some moisture readings this AM and had readings from about 5.5 to around 9.

Figured I'd consult the enormous breadth of design experience here on the Creek and see if any of you have some brilliant suggestions on what to make from it. Either using the full thickness, or the 2" slab after removing the requested wall hanging.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Clint

bob svoboda
12-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Nice wood. Maybe a nice platter, with leftovers for pens, stoppers, mirrors etc?

Allan Ferguson
12-25-2010, 11:14 AM
It would indeed make a nice platter. But how about some small hollow turnings. People are attracted to small items that can be held in their hand. Tactile input to the heart.

Roger Chandler
12-25-2010, 11:23 AM
I like the platter idea..........it would make heirloom quality turnings that would live on in the next generations as well as in yours. That blank is large enough to make two platters........and have a number of pen blanks as well.

Steve Schlumpf
12-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Beautiful wood! I would consider turning a winged bowl/platter out of a chunk of it. Just feel it would really showcase the wood! Looking forward to seeing the end result! Good luck!

David DeCristoforo
12-25-2010, 1:04 PM
It would be tempting to cut a platter out of the "left" end since that is where the most intense figure is. But if you want to use the "falldown" piece for pens and stoppers. I would go the other way and cut the platter blank from the "right" end, leaving the most highly figured end for the smaller pieces. Otherwise, the smaller pieces will be much plainer. There's still plenty of character in the "right" end to yield a most impressive platter.

Bill Buchanan IN
12-25-2010, 2:18 PM
Clint: That's a gorgeous piece. A few great ideas have been mentioned. The however part, is that if you went to the flatwork side of this forum, you may get some other suggestions . . such as resawn into thinner blanks for several top panels for jewelry boxes, doo-dad boxes and other flat sawn items. But because you came to this side of the forum, one platter from the right side side, then pen blanks and round inserts for turned box tops . . comes to mind. Whatever you decide, we'd be anxious to see the end result(s).

David E Keller
12-25-2010, 2:48 PM
I agree with the others about a platter taking advantage of that 13" width... You'll get some stoppers from the cutoffs of the platter square. If you like shallow platters, you could resaw and get two from on end. I'd lean toward using some os what was left for small HFs and ornaments. It's hard to go wrong with wood like that.

Lee Koepke
12-25-2010, 3:02 PM
I had a really nice figured piece of wood ... sat on it for a year .. ended up making a wall clock out of it. Hanging on the wall at my office. No matter how I thought about cutting it for a 'project' nothing would show off the wonderful work Mother Nature did.

I have to agree with the consensus about the platter, maximum display and the added benefit of 'touchability'. Nice piece of wood indeed.

Dennis Ford
12-25-2010, 4:57 PM
Just to be different:
How about 2 book matched panels for a Krenov style cabinet AND a platter.

John Keeton
12-25-2010, 8:53 PM
I vote for a platter for half of it, and send the other half to me!! There are four beautiful hollow forms waiting in that other half! Just about the right thickness for a 6.5" HF.

Ray Bell
12-26-2010, 1:39 AM
So John, you would glue 4 pieces of this together for the HF?

Clint Baxter
12-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. On the flatwork side, I've seriously considered resawing thick veneers of it for a coffee table, and the idea of bookmatching for a Krenov style cabinet is a good one as well. Sounds like the platter idea is the best way to showcase the most wood from a turning.

What's the opinion on a minimum thickness to get a decent platter? Would I be able to get two platters from a two inch thick piece, (assuming I slice off my wall hanging piece first)? Maybe a matched set to display on the wall? Want to maximize my output without making my blanks so thin I end up with a mess of pen blanks, (should would make a lot of nice pen blanks though.)

Thanks again for the ideas.

Clint