PDA

View Full Version : Best reason to not buy a mini-lathe as a first lathe...

John Coloccia
12-25-2010, 9:35 AM
The wobbling, the limited power, etc. Never mind all of that. It's too short to turn a tool handle!

Lee Koepke
12-25-2010, 9:38 AM
HA ... nobody told me that!

Mine's not too bad, but I havent asked it to do anything crazy yet! And what kind of tool handle ..... a shovel !!!!

John Coloccia
12-25-2010, 10:23 AM
Actually, just a turning tool handle. You can turn a short one but that's about it without an extension. Don't get me wrong...the mini is actually pretty nice. I pretty routinely turn 7" and 8" bowls on mine, but it's very hairy until I get it somewhat balanced, and it vibrates quite a bit through the cuts, especially the hollowing cuts. Anyhow, I was going to pick up a couple of Thompson tools and I figured I'd just turn some handles for them, but all I can turn are short handles. I guess it's time to do research on who makes a good handle.

Reed Gray
12-25-2010, 10:40 AM
You can get bed extensions for most of them. I have even seen risers for the headstock and tailstock.

robo hippy

Bill Noce
12-25-2010, 10:43 AM
John,
Since you are thinking of getting a couple of Thompson tools. Take a look at the Thompson Handles he has two types now the one he shows on his Web Site and one that has a foam cover(new style not posted yet) they are both great an his prices are lower than most Aluminum Handles on the market.

Jim Underwood
12-25-2010, 1:34 PM
I found I could turn a 14 inch tool handle on my Jet, but it took a bit of courage to perch the tailstock halfway over the very tippy end of the bed ways...

As for bouncy bowl blanks.... That's what they make bandsaws for! Unless of course your blank is taller than your saw's capacity... Then you not only need a bigger lathe, you need a bigger bandsaw! Where does it stop?

Fred Perreault
12-25-2010, 2:50 PM
John, while you are researching tool handles and such, you might want to check into who makes bigger lathes. And then check out how to post on Craigslist..... :) And then have a talk with your woman. :) :)

Kelvin Burton
12-25-2010, 4:01 PM
Jim, it doesn't!

John Coloccia
12-25-2010, 4:45 PM
Well, my bandsaw's capacity won't be limiting me for quite some time I don't think.

re: everything else
Naw, I'm keeping the Mini. I like it. I think a DVR is in my near future, though. Maybe even a Powermatic, but I'm leaning towards the DVR at the moment.

Joe Scarfo
12-25-2010, 4:50 PM
John...

To bad you're not closer, I would invite you over... we could visit, swap stories, talk a little turning trash, and you could use a bigger lathe to turn your handles.

I recently upgraded from a delta midi to a 3520B. My first lathe was a Delta Iron Bed... forget the model nbr. I sold it for the midi and recently upgraded to a used 3520. Now the midi seems to be on permanent load to the girl friend of the LOML... I miss it to...

How many of us think of our tools as our kids... ya just can't seem to want to get rid of them.. but ya gotta clean house to make room for the newborns?

Thanks for listening
Joe

greg a bender
12-25-2010, 5:04 PM
John,

I think we are kinda close. If you want to try a Jet 1642 (a mustard monsters sister), give me a shout.
For less than half the price of the PM, I think it's a worthy tool.

Just saying

Greg A

Rick Markham
12-25-2010, 10:01 PM
John, just get Doug's handles. I really love mine they are super nice. Right now I have one 5/8" mouth 1/2" mouth and a 3/8" mouth, I just swap the tools in and out as needed, only takes a second. They are heavy duty filled with steel shot and really built to last. The threads and grub screws are hardened steel so they won't wear out or cross thread with repeated use. They are really super comfortable and well balanced with his tools. I will be ordering some more soon with my tool money from Christmas.

Jim Burr
12-25-2010, 10:54 PM
Randy (Monster Hollowing) makes great handles too!! All of my Thompson's have Monster handles

Bernie Weishapl
12-25-2010, 10:59 PM
+1 for Monster handles.

George Guadiane
12-26-2010, 9:57 AM
Well, my bandsaw's capacity won't be limiting me for quite some time I don't think.

re: everything else
Naw, I'm keeping the Mini. I like it. I think a DVR is in my near future, though. Maybe even a Powermatic, but I'm leaning towards the DVR at the moment.

When you are ready to spend that money, consider this:
You can buy the DVR and still want the PM or you can just buy the MM and live happily ever after.

Bill Bulloch
12-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Speaking of Handles.... I bought two of these from this guy. Cheapest I have seen and with free shipping. They are really nice: heavy, well ballanced and cushioned. http://cgi.ebay.com/WOOD-TURNING-LATHE-TOOL-HANDLE-w-COMFORTABLE-GRIP_W0QQitemZ170582368092QQihZ007QQcategoryZ42282 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

tom martin
12-26-2010, 11:18 AM
John,
Maybe I'm missing something, but why can't you turn a handle in two(or three) pieces with tenon ends and glue them together? You could have a handle as long as you wanted.
No need to wait or spend money.
Tom

Bob Haverstock
12-26-2010, 5:54 PM
The wobbling, the limited power, etc. Never mind all of that. It's too short to turn a tool handle!

John, I started with a JWL1220, so I was able to drill and turn my own chisel handles. I really dislike buying handles when I can make them.

Note: I use short lengths of 3/4 copper pipe for ferrals. Making handles was the rationale for buying a steady rest from Jeff.

Bob Haverstock

John Fabre
12-26-2010, 7:14 PM
Speaking of Handles.... I bought two of these from this guy. Cheapest I have seen and with free shipping. They are really nice: heavy, well ballanced and cushioned. eBay item #170582368092
Thanks Bill for the lead, nice price.

John Coloccia
12-26-2010, 8:21 PM
John,
Maybe I'm missing something, but why can't you turn a handle in two(or three) pieces with tenon ends and glue them together? You could have a handle as long as you wanted.
No need to wait or spend money.
Tom

This thread is more tongue in cheek more than anything else. If I really wanted to turn long handles I would simply use the other lathes I have access to. It's just one of those things that hit me because I was thinking about how turning handles is great practice but I can only make short handles on my little lathe and the whole point of wanting to turn handles is to make longer, better balanced handles.