PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia maple turkey call

Aaron Wingert
12-25-2010, 1:24 AM
After turning hundreds of turkey calls in the last couple years I finally decided to turn one from ambrosia maple....And I'm kicking myself for waiting so long. Found a really nice big piece of it at Woodcraft and against my better judgement I paid their price for it because it was so wormy. The call's striker's peg is made from pecan and the striker has an ambrosia maple head. The worm holes are filled with CA and the piece was sanded to 600. The finish is three coats of tru-oil gun stock finish, which seems to work remarkably well on maple.

Sorry for the dark picture. My flash batteries died on me.

C&C welcomed!

Ken Hill
12-25-2010, 5:28 AM
Really looks smooth Aaron!

John Keeton
12-25-2010, 7:01 AM
You call makers are a strange bunch!! Aaron is up until 1:30 am (12:30am his time?) waiting on Santa Claus, and Ken is up at 5:30am to see if Santa left him any new tools!!:D

Aaron, I like the looks of the Ambrosia on this one, and it did finish out nice with the True Oil. I have always enjoyed finishing maple of any kind - seems like it always takes such a nice finish.

Russell Eaton
12-25-2010, 8:18 AM
That Ambrosia look excellent. I have a question, how thick is the call? In the picture it looks to be very thin. Thanks for showing. Russell

Aaron Wingert
12-25-2010, 9:38 AM
That Ambrosia look excellent. I have a question, how thick is the call? In the picture it looks to be very thin. Thanks for showing. Russell
Russell it was turned from 4/4 S2S stock, and I turned a 1/8" dovetail tenon on it for the chuck jaws to grab it. Most of my calls end up being right at 3/4" thick. If I make them much thicker they sometimes sound like a turkey in a box.

Aaron Wingert
12-25-2010, 9:41 AM
You call makers are a strange bunch!! Aaron is up until 1:30 am (12:30am his time?) waiting on Santa Claus, and Ken is up at 5:30am to see if Santa left him any new tools!!:D

Can't disagree with you John. With twin one year old boys running around, it is safe to say that all my woodturning and callmaking is done late at night after everybody goes to bed. Thank goodness for a fairly soundproof shop ceiling.

Steve Schlumpf
12-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Nice work - beautiful wood! I like how you turned the handle out of the same Maple - really makes it a set!