PDA

View Full Version : Web Sites???

John Terefenko
12-24-2010, 9:46 PM
Who has a web site??? I am looking to get a web site up. Any suggestions for some good ones and why do you think it is good??? Is it a free or what is the fee??? I have no idea what I am doing so this will be a huge learning thing. I tried getting Serif WebPlusX4 software and had to send it back because it is not compatible with my system which is WindowsXP64. I appreciate any info. Thanks

Jim O'Dell
12-24-2010, 11:12 PM
John, check with your internet provider. Most offer web hosting for individuals for free. If you are talking about a commercial venture, they can quote you prices for that. We did one through a previous provider and used Microsoft Front Page. LOML still uses it a business web site, but says there are others out there that are probably easier to use. Not sure who hosts their web site as that part is handled by her partner's grandson. Jim.

Chuck Wintle
12-25-2010, 6:51 AM
Who has a web site??? I am looking to get a web site up. Any suggestions for some good ones and why do you think it is good??? Is it a free or what is the fee??? I have no idea what I am doing so this will be a huge learning thing. I tried getting Serif WebPlusX4 software and had to send it back because it is not compatible with my system which is WindowsXP64. I appreciate any info. Thanks

Just google free website hosters...there are many that can provide space for a basic website. Most will put advertising on the pages to pay for the site. Other wise there are many that are not free but don't cost a lot of money. the differences are in the level of support needed to make the website work. You will nee to register a domain name for your site. Front page was good in its day but is used little today. many free HTML editors such as notepad++ to name one.

Matt Meiser
12-25-2010, 8:41 AM
I've had personal web sites in the past but I'm not sure anyone but me looked at them with the more recent iterations. I've used free space provided by ISPs which was just fine for basic, personal use. For a while I ran a web server at home and had a domain name registered.

As far as what you need or where to host it you need to decide what you want to to with it. Even then with tools I can't be much help--I'm a hand coded HTML guy. I use Visual Studio 2008 user for work stuff which is all intranet app development and a a simple look and feel is usually all that's in the budget.

David Freed
12-25-2010, 10:27 AM
I am really happy with http://www.homestead.com/ . I have seen many others that are cheaper, but I like Homesteads Sitebuilder and don't want to have to learn a whole new system. They have fantastic customer service.

Curt Harms
12-26-2010, 8:24 AM
For web site creation and HTML editing, you might take a look at Kompozer--Kompozer.net. The price is right. I think anything created with it should look the same when viewed with any browser which was one of the complaints with FrontPage. I haven't used it for quite a while but was reasonably straight forward in previous versions. The price is right and it shouldn't screw with your computer. Download it, try it and if you don't like it remove it. Or not, it's not bloatware. As far as a hosting site, I have no clue there.

Ed Hazel
12-26-2010, 8:43 AM
What do you want to do with your website?
Are you trying to sell a product? If so you're going to need a shopping cart.
Are you just trying to post information and you can probably go with a free blog hosting account. What you are trying to do with your website without a big effect on the answers to your questions.
Either way I would look at WordPress it is a pretty good way to create a website and it is free, and you can buy a lot of nice themes for it but you can start out with free themes also.

Brian Libby
12-26-2010, 9:33 AM
Talk with Andy Hoyt at downscaledesigns.com

Darius Ferlas
12-26-2010, 9:41 AM
I've been with iPowerWeb (http://www.ipowerweb.com) since 2001 and I have had few reasons to complain. For work I use Netfirms for some we related things (and my own server in a local college that gives me a mean 100MB symmetrical speed on fiber optic).

When it comes to we hosting and email, I tend to stay away from my ISP as I don't want to keep too many eggs in one basket.

Michael James
12-27-2010, 12:03 AM
John, if you want a "free" site then your site name will be behind whoever has the host site, ex: www.mikeyswebsite/others/your (http://www.mikeyswebsite/others/your) site. Otherwise you have a license a domain name and pay to get it hosted. Once you get the site up, alteratioins are not too diffficult. Some good questions asked above need to be answered before you start shelling out $$ or it could get expensive, or more so than it needs to be.
Good luck!

Kelly Davis
12-27-2010, 1:18 PM
To buy a domain and host a webpage. use namecheap.com

http://www.namecheap.com/learn/webhosting/web-hosting.asp

its like $2.99 a year for a domain and like $2.91 a month for hosting

so that's what like ~ $40 bucks for a year for all these features:

5GB space
250GB transfer
50 email accounts
15 MySQL databases
1 hosted domain
no parked domains
15 subdomains
5 FTP users
All the features of Email Only

Tom M King
09-26-2022, 7:55 AM
Make it with software that has a good chance of being supported through the future. Both my Wife and I have websites that are over 20 years old. All of a sudden, the company that provided the software no longer continued to support it. As a result of that, our websites are still up, but we can't edit to change anything about them, or add new information.

We did have my Wife's site converted, at a non-insignificant cost, but I haven't done anything to mine yet, and it's probably not worth the trouble. We haven't had the time to put into learning the new software, so Pam's dog website has a link to a FB page where she posts pictures of puppies. Mine still shows a range of things that I do, so it serves its purpose good enough for now.

Derek Meyer
09-28-2022, 6:24 PM
You're running Windows XP 64 bit? You're not likely to find any software available that will install on that platform. You'll likely have to go with an online editing platform to create the web site.

What browser are you using? I'd be surprised if anything that supports modern web standards and languages will render properly on your computer.