PDA

View Full Version : Oh You Devils

Ed Hardin
01-06-2005, 9:33 AM
Being a total novice to planes and also being one who can screw up an anvil, I read with interest Wood's explination about block planes. I had a little cash before Christmas and bought the 102 Lie-Nielson block plane. I read the forums and the books. Flattened the sole and sharpened the blade just like every one said. Put it together and tried it out on a project that had less than perfect mortise and tenon construction. I got continuous shavings that looked like cotton wool. The wood was smoother than a baby's butt. I was ....shocked....amazed and...yes.....hooked. I couldn't believe I had done it. NOW all I have to do is tune up a low angle LN smoother. I now understand why David Charlesworth said, "getting continuous gossimer thin shavings is quite sublime." :)

Marc Hills
01-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Oh dear, we got another one!

I realized that some profound threshold had been crossed when Wood Magazine, of all publications, paid homage to the neanderthal movement.

Enjoy those LN planes and let us know if you have equal success with the LA smoother!

Mark Singer
01-06-2005, 11:52 AM
I think the only cure is another plane! No.....that won't work

Tom LaRussa
01-06-2005, 12:08 PM
I think the only cure is another plane! No.....that won't work
That's true Mark. This disease cannot be cured, but the patient can be kept alive through a rigorous, repetitive regimen of planular acquisition. ;) :p

Tom LaRussa
01-06-2005, 12:09 PM
bought the 102 Lie-Nielson block plane. I read the forums and the books. Flattened the sole and sharpened the blade:)
:eek: :confused: You had to flatten the sole on a brand new LN?! :eek: :confused:

Michael Perata
01-06-2005, 1:25 PM
You had to flatten the sole on a brand new LN?!
Tom
It is his first L-N, give him a break. He'll realize when he buys the LA 164 that L-N's work right outta da box.

Jim Becker
01-06-2005, 2:08 PM
Almost better than :D ...well...not quite, but good, nonetheless! Nothing like a L-N block plane to introduce an electron-burner to some of the Neander ways...got me, too.

Roy Wall
01-06-2005, 3:08 PM
Almost better than :D ...well...not quite, but good, nonetheless! Nothing like a L-N block plane to introduce an electron-burner to some of the Neander ways...got me, too.
:D :D :D

Ed Hardin
01-06-2005, 3:28 PM
Now fellas, How was I to know that LN soles were dead flat. However, I polished that sucker really fine. Truth to tell, the iron did need a little polishing. It cuts like a champ.

I really know why you guys are so hep on neanderthal. It's easier to sneak these into the shop. Explaining the price is another thing all together. ;)

Steve Kubien
01-06-2005, 4:00 PM
Bait the hook.
Set the hook.
Reel him in.

It really is too easy!

John Miliunas
01-06-2005, 8:02 PM
Ed, be very, very careful! Those planes are like rabbits and multiply rapidly! They usually grow up real quickly, too!:eek: I'm kinda' snickering about your choice, as that was my first purchase on the "Dark Side", as well. Yes, it's evolved already. Better get used to seeing names like LN, LV, Clifton, ECE, etc... It's a mad, mad addiction and these Neander folks just *know* how to get you hooked! Enjoy!:cool:

Keith Christopher
01-06-2005, 9:11 PM
It's not secret that I own nothing but LN planes, they are so nice to look at and OMG so VERY nice to use. keep sliding down th slope, there's plenty of people here to catch you. and heck if you fall, Tyler is a paramedic! :)

Ed Hardin
01-07-2005, 11:23 AM
Thanks Folks, I was drooling over the Woodcraft, Lee Valley and Hartville Tool catalogs last night. I never hear much about Clifton Planes. Are they any good?

John Miliunas
01-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Thanks Folks, I was drooling over the Woodcraft, Lee Valley and Hartville Tool catalogs last night. I never hear much about Clifton Planes. Are they any good?
I am, by no means, an expert on the hand tool scene. But, with that said and upon the advice of one of my "mentors" (Gene Collison), I broke the bank and ordered up a #5 Clifton a month or so ago. It takes the formidable idea of the "Bedrock" design to a higher level, IMHO!:) Truly a joy to take for a ride down a piece of wood!:cool: