PDA

View Full Version : new tool gloat

Russell Eaton
12-24-2010, 8:54 PM
Look at the gift that I got on Tuesday. It is a Jet 920 metal lathe. I spent a couple of hours cleaning the grease off. I now need to learn how to use it:rolleyes:. Now my shop looks like a Jet factory, 3 wood lathes and a metal lathe and dust collector :D. Have a Merry Christmas, Russell

Bill Bolen
12-24-2010, 9:17 PM
Congrat's! I see a bit of tool making in your near future...Bill..

Jeff Nicol
12-24-2010, 9:54 PM
Russell, Having a metal lathe is as fun as having a wood lathe but a lot slower to see the results. I have a little HF metal lathe and I am looking to get a larger one to add to the collection, I keep checking Craiglist for a nice one with a lot of tooling for the right price. Maybe after the holidays for me!

Congrats on the Christmas prize,

Have fun,

Jeff

Rick Markham
12-24-2010, 10:10 PM
I am extremely envious Russell, I have been wanting a metal lathe too. I need a bigger shop first! I know who I am going to call when it's time to thread some brass bar stock for custom branding iron heads hehe. I wouldn't do that to you... or maybe I would!

Steve Schlumpf
12-25-2010, 12:45 PM
WOW! Congrats! Looks like it will be a blast to use! Have fun!

Harry Robinette
12-26-2010, 12:39 AM
Russel
I have the same lathe.I got mine about 6mths ago and really like it.There are a couple things your going to wont to change but you can take your time for now.One thing don't go buy 1/2 cutters use 3/8 with a shim they cut much better and less chatter.If I can help let me know PM me any time I'm NOT a machinist I just putter
with it.get on 920lathe group on yahoo but mainly only for the info section unless your a machinist.
Harry

Mark Eisen
12-26-2010, 4:32 AM
Congrats on the Christmas pressie Russell
Found this place is good for tooling.

http://www.cdcotools.com/