PDA

View Full Version : PC 690 Users: Has this happened to you?

Dan Bundy
01-06-2005, 7:28 AM
Last night I'm routing mortises with my PC 690 in plunge mode: 1 1/16 deep, using about 5 passes to get to full depth. I had already done several of the 16 needed with no unusual noises, vibrations, etc. Was starting a plunge when the brush cap popped (broke) off, hit me in the chest and rolled across the shop ( I found it).

I checked the parts diagram and it looked like only the the cap was affected, so I jury-rigged it back on (whooooaaaaa duct tape!) and flipped the switch. Sounded normal so I proceeded without further incident.

Any ideas why it might have come off like that? It was obvious that it broke instead of just coming loose, because there were little bits of black plastic in the opening where it appears to thread in (I'm guessing threads since there's a "screwdriver" slot in the cap).

Thanks for any insight you can provide. DB

Steve Clardy
01-06-2005, 2:33 PM
Hmmm. No. But I have had a couple to break removing them for brush changes. Seems like the factory can get them little buggers pretty tight.
Wonder if it was slightly cracked, then some slight vibration finished it off??

Jim Dunn
01-06-2005, 4:00 PM
I too have that same router but never have removed the caps. Wonder if heat would cause the plastic to harden and become brittle?

Dan Bundy
01-07-2005, 7:23 AM
Overtightened may have been it, because it appears the cap itself broke away from the threads. DB

Mark Patoka
01-07-2005, 7:23 AM
That same thing did happen to me a few months ago. It didn't break so I was able to screw it back into place.