PDA

View Full Version : Bowl No. 2

Lee Koepke
12-24-2010, 4:04 PM
Well,

After making things for the last month or two for OTHER people, I played the selfish card this afternoon and turned a bowl for ME! Its officially my second, but actually my first solo one. I didnt try anything fancy, but had a 'learning' moment. While cutting the tenon off, I got a little too close to the nib at the tailstock, well ..... broke loose and sent my finished bowl rattling all over the chuck and anything else metallic :mad:. You can see a few scratches inside and one nick on the outside ... all said and done, I guess I was lucky.

Its a Cherry bowl, just under 8" diameter and 2" deep. I polished it using the Lee Buffing System .... sanding to 1200 then my Dremel with polishing compound. I will put a coat of wax on it in a few minutes.

Merry Christmas.

John Keeton
12-24-2010, 4:57 PM
Lee, I think you did well!! Amazing how a "flyer" like that seeks out all the sharp edged metallic objects in the shop - I swear, seems they are magnetic!!

That cherry has some nice color.

Steve Schlumpf
12-24-2010, 5:01 PM
Congrats on your bowl Lee! I really like the rich color! I think we have all experienced the same problem when turning off a tenon! Not fun but once you start using a donut chuck or a vacuum system - you never have to worry about that happening again!

Nice bowl!

Ron Stadler
12-24-2010, 5:18 PM
Looks very nice for second bowl, I've got lucky a few times myself, but there's always that one heartbreaker.:eek:

Harry Robinette
12-24-2010, 5:50 PM
Lee
It happens to all of us. remember the bread always falls jelly side down,the turning always hits every hard or sharp.

Baxter Smith
12-24-2010, 9:42 PM
Congratulations on number 2. A few dings add character and give a sense of history to a piece.:)

Rick Markham
12-24-2010, 9:59 PM
Looks great Lee!!! My first bowl involved a broken tenon... flying out of the chuck, bouncing off the wall hitting the tile floor, a giant grab on my gouge while hollowing, among other things. All of the other ones have been uneventful so far, except the one I dropped and brok because my hands and it were covered in Tung oil. That's the last time I will make that mistake! Hey... some of us have to learn the hard way! Number 3 will be smooth sailing Lee!!!