PDA

View Full Version : Tool Rest nicks

Tim Thiebaut
12-24-2010, 1:37 PM
As most of you know I have only had my lathe a couple of weeks now, and already my tool rest has little nicks in it, I am assuming it is from the sharp edges on my skews mainly. This really inhibits a smooth slide of the tool you are useing as it catchs while gliding across the tool rest. I read somewhere that you should sand the sharp edges off of your new skews so that it will not catch, and makes it easier to roll the tool for beads/coves etc..., I just read this yesterday and I believe it was....aaahh I found it, it was on the Rockler site talking about sharpening skews....

http://www.rockler.com/tech/RTD10000111AA.pdf

Is this recommended by you all? Do you do this? I ran my diamond hone across the top of my tool rest and smoothed out the sharp nicks that are there now, but being that this is only a couple of weeks old what is it going to look like in a couple of months. Are after market tool rests made of a harder steel across the working surface? Any and all recommendations would be appreciated!

Greg Just
12-24-2010, 1:54 PM
Tim:

I round the bottom edge of all my skewes using the grinder. Some come already done. I also it my tool rest with a file and a little wax when I do get nicks.

bob svoboda
12-24-2010, 2:05 PM
I round the edge that meets the short point of the skew as recommended by Alan Lacer. For tool rest nicks, long strokes with a file (to keep it level) and wax does the trick. I do believe that some aftermarket rests are made of harder material, but no experience to prove it.

Bob Bergstrom
12-24-2010, 2:26 PM
I use a file followed by sandpaper. Then paste wax. Well worth the effort. My skews are founded using a belt sander and a blue 80 grit belt. Only round the short point, and leave the long one square for piercing and "V" cuts.

George Clark
12-24-2010, 2:30 PM
From Alan Lacer's web site:

"the short point side rounded back to the ferrule, the long point side chamfered back to the ferrule."

A great source of information about the skew.

http://www.alanlacer.com/handouts/ho-skew_chisels.html

Ray Bell
12-24-2010, 2:54 PM
Also you may consider ordering a rest from Jeff Nicol. The rest that came with my Nova was very soft, and I was always filing on it. I have never had to do this with a rest from Jeff.

joel nucifore
12-24-2010, 3:19 PM
i use to take the palm sander to my tool rest to smooth it out worked great for me......

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2010, 3:46 PM
I round my skews as others have said like Lacer recommends and dress my tool rest with a file then wax.

Ben Richardson
12-24-2010, 4:02 PM
Robust makes a very good tool rest. It has a harden steel rod on the edge the link is http://www.turnrobust.com/Comfort_Tool_Rests.html

Clint Baxter
12-24-2010, 4:23 PM
+1 on the Robust rest(s). I picked up a 4" and a 6" when I got my new Nova lathe. I had ones for my Delta 46-460 and never had any dings occur on them in the time I turned on them. Planning on getting a 12" and hopefully the inside and outside bowl rests as well. I got mine through Craft Supplies. They stock a full line of the Robust rests. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Lathe_Accessories___Tool_Rests?Args=

Clint

Steve Schlumpf
12-24-2010, 4:48 PM
I've rounded over my parting tool as well as my skew to try and prevent nicks in the tool rest. Most of the time I can remove the nicks with a heavy duty green scotch pad or a piece of 600 grit sandpaper.

Tim Thiebaut
12-24-2010, 5:42 PM
Ok, thanks everyone, I am glad it wasnt just me having this problem. I will see what I can do about rounding over the edges of my skews, and check into a Nicols or Robust steady rest.

Am I right in thinking Nicols is a member of this forum? If so I usualy try to give my business to members at places I visit.

David E Keller
12-24-2010, 5:54 PM
Yep, Jeff Nicol is a member here, and I'm told his tool rests are very nice. I've also heard that you can epoxy hardened steel rods to the too of an existing rest, but I've never tried.

Harry Robinette
12-24-2010, 7:00 PM
David
I tryed the epoxy it didn;t work for me, But on my Vega I welded a piece of 5/8 drill rod no nicks now.
Harry

Tim Thiebaut
12-24-2010, 9:34 PM
Thank you David, I will check out his site then since he is a member I prefer to give him the business if/when I do buy a new one....there are so MANY things I want to buy related to this hobby! Just like most of my hobbies!

Cathy Schaewe
12-24-2010, 9:43 PM
I have 3 Nicols rests for my Jet 1642, and one for my delta. They are sooooo much better than the ones that came with - I was filing them down on nearly a daily basis. I might need to do that to the one I use most, now, after about 6 months ... but not for another couple months. Maybe. Can't beat them.

Art Kelly
12-24-2010, 11:33 PM
... I've also heard that you can epoxy hardened steel rods to the too of an existing rest, but I've never tried.

If you're into the metallurgy thing, you can make a "shoe" for your toolrest. I make mine out of 1018 low-carbon steel which I heat treat in a charcoal fire and quench in water. (No tempering is necessary.) Low-carbon 1018 is harder than the cast-iron tool rests like Delta or Rikon, but softer than High-carbon or High-speed steels, so it won't wear your chisels. You still have to round the corners on skews. A little higher carbon content--1040/50--would be better, but I can buy 1018 right up the road.

I like mine--it's gone a couple of years and is about ready for replacement. I attach it to the tool rest with JB Weld.

$0.02
Art

Tim Thiebaut
12-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Jeff Nicols was kind enough to take time out of his holiday to write me back via email this morning, and I placed an order for both a "6 & "12 inch tool rests, thanks for all of the info and recommendations everyone, merry christmas, Tim

Jeff Nicol
12-25-2010, 11:51 AM
If I did not have to make waffles for Christmas brunch I would be out in the shop still going like a madman! I have been cleaning and cleaning and cleaning some more!! So hopefully after today I can work at a much more organized pace. I am tired of moving 200lbs of wood to get to the bench and back again to get to the planer, and on and on! The woodstove has been filled 2 or 3 times already with buried junk wood that had cracked or was to small to do anything with.

Thanks for the compliments and reccomendations and have a Very Merry Christmas!

Jeff

George Clark
12-25-2010, 11:59 AM
Tim,

Brent English, owner of Robust is a member of this forum also. His tool rests are available direct from Robust or from numerous suppliers. I'm not familiar with the Nicol rest, but I can assure you that the Robust rest is one of the best on the market. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer. BTW we are talking about tool rests and not steady rests aren't we?

http://www.turnrobust.com/

George

dan carter
12-25-2010, 12:20 PM
I made a couple of tool rests using epoxy to glue 1/4 drill rod to angle iron. Didn't work very well. But, after welding the drill rod, they work well. Probably the real discussion could be the soft tool rest that came with your lathe. I regularly turn on my 46-460 and 3520B. I clean and wax the rests the same, but the Delta nicks much easier and more the the Powermatic. There doesn't seem to be many drawbacks to the 46-460, but this is one.

Ray Bell
12-25-2010, 1:23 PM
Congrats Tim, you wont be disappointed in the Nicols tool rests. He does nice work.

Ron Bontz
12-25-2010, 1:46 PM
The robust are very nice rest that I use now. Also the thompson skews are already rounded providing you can catch one.

Mike Peace
12-25-2010, 7:17 PM
A belt sander works well to aris the edges of all of your scrapers, skews and parting tools to reduce the nicking. I keep a piece of candle wax handy and wipe the rest every day.