PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) tool gloat

Fred Dorn
01-06-2005, 1:21 AM
I received this Craftsman RAS (1977 model) from my father-in-law the first part of December. Due to health reasons he is no longer able to use it and he knew that I would use it.

I waited until I got the recall kit installed before I posted a picture of it. That way I would not get in trouble from the picture police.:D

Fred

Rob Russell
01-06-2005, 7:20 AM
Fred,

Free machinery is good.

Not knowing what other machinery you have - I'll make this comment about a "lower end" RAS. I have a Dewalt RAS, but it's just a relabelled Black & Decker, so I include it in the "lower end" category. "Upper end", to me, means one of the older Dewalts, an "Original" or the bigger Deltas you can get - that sort of saw.

My saw has long been little more than a horizontal surface to collect stuff.

I'd suggest that you get the saw table aligned so it's true to the head as it swings around. Next, get the saw perfectly aligned at 90 degrees by using test cuts to guarantee it's dead square - and then leave it at that setting. Use the RAS for crosscuts, but don't move the arm. If you do move the arm, you'll need to go back and carefully reset the arm to 90 degree using cuts to verify the setting.

The problem is that the detents for 90 degrees just aren't accurate enough for fine work. I bought a 12" SCMS and haven't looked back in terms of miters, angle cuts, etc. The only thing the RAS can do that the SCMS can't (that I'd use the RAS for) is overhead dadoing.

If all you're planning to do is use the RAS for rough cutting stuff, then all the above commentary is out the window.

Rob

Pete Harbin
01-06-2005, 7:21 AM
That looks almost identical to my Dad's. His is still running strong.

Congrats!

Steve Ash
01-06-2005, 7:52 AM
Looks just like one that I got from a guy for installing a entrance door. I gave it to my dad to use in his shop.

Kurt Aebi
01-06-2005, 8:16 AM
Looks exactly the same as the one I picked up with a Craftsman Shaft drive table saw fo ra grand total of $50.00 and my father bought the table saw from me for $50.00 therefore, I got a free RAS. I too got the recall kit and installed it. I like Rob have it locked down at 90°, I have an older 8-1/4" Craftsman RAS that I have locked at 45°. I use my DeWalt 12" CMS for all other angles. Right now, I have my dado set installed in the 10" as I am in the process of making my own door casings for my living room remodel and you can't beat the overhead dadoing - just be careful as the saw blade will sometimes grab and try to run across the board - always keep pressure on th ehandle and never ever get any part of your anatomy in teh way of that blade. Your body is nowhere near as tough ae even pine lumber to that saw. It has much power and deserves respect!

Use it safely and you'll love it. Try to force it to do something it wasn't designed for and you will have trouble with a capitol "T".

Use it in good health and Great Score!

Tyler Howell
01-06-2005, 8:25 AM
Free is Good!

Good to see the new safety mods in place too. Finally openned the box of goodies for the converssion.

Ted Shrader
01-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Fred -

Congrats on the new (to you) RAS. Sorry about the circumstances, though. It is in a good home! New fence and table top, too. :)

Ted

Jim O'Dell
01-06-2005, 11:19 AM
You know, I just got my dad's old Sears RAS, too. The one I used to have looks a lot like your picture. My dad's looks different. Haven't set it up or used it yet. I know it needs a complete tune up. Luckily my dad keeps all of his manuels.
I remember hearing about the recall, but since my original RAS died 4 years ago and all I kept was the base and legs, I didn't look into it. Do you hae any information or can point me somewhere on the web to get the info? Thanks! Jim

Marshall Harrison
01-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Jim.

Go here to find out if you qualify.

http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/

Greg Leighty, Chattanooga TN
01-06-2005, 6:56 PM
Thanks for the post. I bought the exact same saw (1977) off a friend and did not know about the recall kit. Like your saw, my saw looks like it has not been used much. I just placed a order for my replacement kit after reading your post.