PDA

View Full Version : Delta 13" RC33, or Makita 15"2040?

Zach Callum
12-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Which planer would you choose? The Delta for $495, or the Makita for $795? I've been going back and forth on this decision for a couple of weeks. I am leaning towards the Makita. I have heard that knife setup is much easier, plus it has 15" capacity. The only downside are the feedrollers, which may or may not need to be replaced/recoated. I have used a 15" Delta, and was happy with the performance, but setting the knives is a pain. I am hoping to get some feedback from those of you that have owned one or both of these machines...

Rick Fisher
12-24-2010, 1:18 PM
I would probably get the Makita, but its a toss up .. I beleive the RC33 was an Invicta machine.. Made in Brazil. Might come down to which one is in better shape.

Chip Lindley
12-24-2010, 2:10 PM
Go for the Delta RC33! It has a "real" 2hp TEFC 230v motor! The Makita planer has a 115v "router-type" universal motor, driven through gears. I feel there is no comparison between the two. And, I believe the Makita has only a 2-knife cutterhead. 3 knives in the RC33.

I have used the original Rockwell RC33 since 1985. It just keeps on going...and going...! On one job I planed a hole pickup load of rough oak 1x12s for panelling the interior of a log cabin. The RC33 never complained.

Although the RC33 was the pattern for all Chinese 15" 4-poster clones, the 13" Delta seems to fallen out of favor. IMO, setting the knives without aid of jackscrews is the RC33s only negative. But with a dial indicator and some patience, you get s surpurb heavy duty planer. All cast iron too! I see them go dirt cheap at times. Last summer I found one for $375 + a 5 hour round trip. Not Too Baad! If the planer is pristine, offer $450. If rusty and needs a good cleaning, offer $400. See if the seller blinks!

It's Christmas spending time! Many need the cash in hand to pay bills! If not now, they surely will by the end of January! That's when the real bargains seem to appear!