PDA

View Full Version : Some Christmas presents

Cathy Schaewe
12-24-2010, 4:56 AM
Here's some of the Christmas presents I've been working on. Photos aren't the best, because I was hurried.

Maple platter, lacquer, dye, 11 1/8" across, 1 1/4" tall.
Redwood Burl, tung oil, 8 1/8” wide, 2” tall.

Walnut, tung oil, 6 ¾” wide, 1 ¾ tall. Rim scorched, brushed and rubbed with bronze acrylic paint.

and finally, spalted birch, lacquer, 6 5/8” wide, 1 5/8” tall, crack filled with coffee, copper dust and epoxy.

Comments and critiques welcome and appreciated -

Tony De Masi
12-24-2010, 6:29 AM
Real nice turnings Cathy. All are lookers but that redwood burl is a real eye catcher to be sure.

John Keeton
12-24-2010, 6:48 AM
Nice work, Cathy, and I predict some happy recipients! I agree with Tony on the Redwood - very pretty, and I like the form. Second pic would be the birch - really interesting wood and I like the filled crack.

Greg Bender
12-24-2010, 8:16 AM
Cathy,
real nice pieces,well done for sure. Redwood burl is my favorite and the maple is a very close second. They all will be very much appreciated by the folkes who receive them. These days there is nothing like a handmade gift.Have a very Merry Christmas.
Greg

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2010, 8:59 AM
Cathy those are all beauties. I really like the redwood also. Cathy here is wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas from Mary Ann and I.

Steve Mawson
12-24-2010, 9:22 AM
Nice presents Cathy. Can I get on your gift list?? From the time of your post you are either working very late or getting up really really early to get it all done. Merry Christmas.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-24-2010, 9:25 AM
Cathy....they will all be appreciated and justifiably so. I especially like the lacquer dyed bowl. You'll have to give some details on that sometime.

Merry Christmas!

charlie knighton
12-24-2010, 9:25 AM
very nice.....

Rob Mathis
12-24-2010, 10:22 AM
I really like the Maple / Blue one. Very nice work.

Roger Chandler
12-24-2010, 10:37 AM
That is some pretty stuff Cathy! Nice work.......that redwood burl is just stunning and the maple with lacquer inlay is beautiful. Nice grain orientation on the Walnut and the rim area is great. The spalted birch really has nice figure as well. All should be appreciated and received well! Merry Christmas!

Cathy Schaewe
12-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Nice work, Cathy, and I predict some happy recipients! I agree with Tony on the Redwood - very pretty, and I like the form. Second pic would be the birch - really interesting wood and I like the filled crack.

Real nice turnings Cathy. All are lookers but that redwood burl is a real eye catcher to be sure.

Tony and John - that redwood is the most difficult stuff I've dealt with. The turning was easy - but the finishing!!! Every time I looked at it, it would scratch! I have several more pieces, and I think I'm going to try that polyall 2000 Bill Neddow uses. He's had some beautiful results, and has commented that it makes it like a hardwood.

They all will be very much appreciated by the folkes who receive them. These days there is nothing like a handmade gift.Have a very Merry Christmas.
Greg
Greg - I hope you're right, because my friends are going to be getting handmade gifts from now on! I have to do something with all this stuff I'm turning ...

Cathy those are all beauties. I really like the redwood also. Cathy here is wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas from Mary Ann and I.

Bernie, thank you! and a Merry Christmas to you and Mary Ann! I know it will be the best in a long time, with the grandson!

Nice presents Cathy. Can I get on your gift list?? From the time of your post you are either working very late or getting up really really early to get it all done. Merry Christmas.

Thanks, Steve! Unfortunately, I have a lot of trouble sleeping. The shop is right below our bedroom, though, so I suspect that turning at that time would not be greeted cheerfully by LOML!

Cathy Schaewe
12-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Cathy....they will all be appreciated and justifiably so. I especially like the lacquer dyed bowl. You'll have to give some details on that sometime.

Merry Christmas!

I really like the Maple / Blue one. Very nice work.

Ken and Rob - thank you. I put a lot of time into that. The blue is actually 3 layers of dye. The bottom layer is blue (transtint) with a little bit of black, sanded way back. The next layer is blue and turquoise, and I sanded that very lightly. The top layer is turquoise - but a very strong mixture. Then the inside rim is bronze acrylic paint. I wanted to try beading around the band, but wasn't comfortable with how that would go yet.

That is some pretty stuff Cathy! Nice work.......that redwood burl is just stunning and the maple with lacquer inlay is beautiful. Nice grain orientation on the Walnut and the rim area is great. The spalted birch really has nice figure as well. All should be appreciated and received well! Merry Christmas!

Roger - thank you for noticing the walnut. It's actually a really pretty piece, but the pictures wouldn't come out for anything. I was extremely happy with the rim, as that was sapwood, and the change in appearance was striking. Here's a close-up pic of it, which I think shows it a little better.

All - thank you for looking, and Merry Christmas!

Ron Stadler
12-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Very nice turnings, beautiful wood in all those pieces.

tom martin
12-24-2010, 1:17 PM
Very nice rim Cathy. When I first looked at it, I thought it was barkless natural rim! I kept thinking that tree must have been huge to get a NE bowl that flat!!!!!

Ray Bell
12-24-2010, 2:59 PM
All very nice Cathy, I'm sure they will be well appreciated.

Steve Schlumpf
12-24-2010, 5:13 PM
Very nice work on each of these turnings Cathy! Like the others have already noticed - that redwood burl sure stands out - but each piece has character! Whoever receives them will love them! Nice work!

Baxter Smith
12-24-2010, 9:47 PM
Nice work. Each one is unique!

Jeff Nicol
12-24-2010, 9:50 PM
Cathy, You have been a very busy lady! Nice group of turnings and the recipients of them will surely be happy this year at Christmas.

Hope tomorrow morning is a grand and glorious Christmas!

Jeff

P.S. A big box is in the shipping world right now heading your way!

Kathy Marshall
12-24-2010, 11:14 PM
Very nice pieces Cathy! I like them all but the redwood and birch are my favorites!
Platters and plates are on my todo list since that's the next challenge for our turning club.

Great Job! and hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

Michael James
12-24-2010, 11:21 PM
WoW.. I guess I missed this post all day!
Very nice pieces, Cathy. The dye job is very nice, complementing a nice piece. Nice to see you experiementing with different methods - they all look great!
Merry Christmas and a very happy, spinny new yr!
mj

ps - whatever it took to get that redwood burl looking that fine was well worth the effort!

Michelle Rich
12-25-2010, 8:24 AM
merry christmas Cathy. Great gifts. Love the spalted birch..it's a humdinger