PDA

View Full Version : Happy Holidays everyone! I'm off to AZ!

Doug W Swanson
12-24-2010, 12:02 AM
Hey all,

I'm heading to sunny Arizona in the morning to spend Christmas with the in-laws. It will be a nice change from all of the snow that we have here in Minnesota. Plus I need a little vacation because I just finished up my EMT class and start Fire Fighter training in January (I'm currently training to be a fire fighter for the city I live in).

I'll miss out on some turning time but I might have to see if I can find me some good wood in Arizona that I can send back for future projects!

Heck, are there any turners in Phoenix? Maybe we can set up a Creeker visit!

I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful holiday season!

Peace!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-24-2010, 12:06 AM
There are some great turners in AZ! Walley Dickerman for one!

Have a safe, warm, enjoyable, fun time!

Merry Christmas Doug!

Ron Stadler
12-24-2010, 1:11 AM
Kinda jealous here, have fun in Arizona then.

alex carey
12-24-2010, 1:50 AM
I just got to Carson City Nevada, took us 9 hours from LA. Terrible terrible drive. normally takes 7. Glad to be here though.

Hope everyone has a merry christmas!

charlie knighton
12-24-2010, 3:06 AM
try to find some mesquite while you are out there, i plan to visit your state this summer at the national symposium, i looked on the atlas and while you are not real close to st paul you are closer than i am, you may want to take advantage of the symposium being in minnisota this summer

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2010, 9:09 AM
Have a ball and enjoy the warmth. Merry Christmas.

John Keeton
12-24-2010, 9:13 AM
I am betting against a "white Christmas" for you!!! Hope you have a great trip, and Merry Christmas, Doug!

Jeff Nicol
12-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Doug, It is not fair that you are escaping the great white north! It is a beautiful day today with temps in the 20's and a light fluffy snow falling, a perfect Christmas eve day! I was just up in Inver Grove heights on Wednesday for our grandsons 1st birthday and it was a wonderfull day! I went to one of my favorite stores up there the "AX MAN" they sell surplus stuff and I am like a kid in a candy store, I bought lots of stuff to tinker with and make my wood burning setup.

You should be able to find a bunch of turners down there so have a great time and don't get sun burned!!

Merry Christmas,

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
12-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Doug - have a safe and enjoyable trip! Merry Christmas!

Doug W Swanson
12-24-2010, 6:03 PM
Thanks guys!

I woke up to 4" of new snow this morning but I made it to the airport just fine. My flight was a little delayed but it was uneventful.....

I'll be on the lookout for some mesquite. Anyone have any leads?

Charlie, I live about 10 minutes from St Paul so I am going to try and go to the Symposium. Let me know if you make it into town for it!

Jeff, next time you make it to The Cities, let me know and maybe we can set up a visit!

Take care!

Jerry Marcantel
12-24-2010, 6:39 PM
Doug, if you want mesquite, look in the yellow pages for firewood. Mesquite is the dominate firewood here in Tucson, and should apply to Phoenix also. The only drawback to firewood, the ends are not treated for checking... Jerry (in Tucson)

Roland Martin
12-24-2010, 6:56 PM
Have a safe & enjoyable trip, Doug & Merry Christmas.

Michael James
12-24-2010, 7:29 PM
It will be a nice change of scenery, as well as much milder weather. People who winter out there are referred to as "snowbirds" and prices actually go up!
Merry Christmas!