PDA

View Full Version : 131 1/2" band saw blade? What do you do for odd sized blades?

Rick Cicciarelli
12-23-2010, 10:04 PM
As my earlier post stated, I am looking at the Grizzly G0513X2 and I noticed that the specs. states the blade length is 131 1/2". Took a quick look at Woodcraft to see some options available and I don't see anything unless you request custom welded blades to size. Is this typical, or am I missing something? This seems like it would be a pain??

John Coloccia
12-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Industry standard is to make a blade to whatever darn length you want. Check out Suffolk Machinery (for Timberwolf), Olson, Highland, Lenox, etc. Woodcraft caters to a handful of standard sizes but they are not a bandsaw blade place. They're a general woodworking retailer. It's sorta' like Home Depot isn't a lumber yard even though they carry lumber. Woodcraft's "custom" blade length selection is absolutely pitiful, and it's a shame because they get a lot of other things right.

Anyone who's a real bandsaw blade supplier won't consider it a "custom" blade (even though they may call it that) any more than your bartender considers your order a "custom" order. You're simply ordering what you need.

Cody Colston
12-23-2010, 10:10 PM
As my earlier post stated, I am looking at the Grizzly G0513X2 and I noticed that the specs. states the blade length is 131 1/2". Took a quick look at Woodcraft to see some options available and I don't see anything unless you request custom welded blades to size. Is this typical, or am I missing something? This seems like it would be a pain??

I don't buy bandsaw blades at Woodcraft but Highland, Suffolk Machinery and Lenox all offer blades in the 131 1/2" length as I suspect most everyone else does.. There's lots of bandsaws from the GO513 family out there...including mine.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-23-2010, 10:34 PM
Rick,

My local ACE hardware carries Olsen blades and will special order them for me. My blade size is larger than most the commercial places stock.

Josiah Bartlett
12-23-2010, 11:10 PM
My 16" Walker Turner isn't a commonly stocked size either, but I have no trouble getting good blades special order. The only advantage of one of the import 14"s in my mind is that you can buy blades off the shelf.

Eiji Fuller
12-23-2010, 11:55 PM
I order mine from spectrum supply. Other than the blades that came with my FB540 Ive only bought and used carbide blades.

glenn bradley
12-24-2010, 1:07 AM
Is this typical, or am I missing something? This seems like it would be a pain??

A lot of people are unaware that the normal bandsaw blade consumer has the blades made. You will get better quality at a better price. It is not considered a "custom" job by any means.

lowell holmes
12-24-2010, 7:31 AM
Check BC saw online. They make blades to order. I think they use Starrett.

Carroll Courtney
12-24-2010, 8:47 AM
Talk to Bobby at www.woodworkerstoolworks.com (http://www.woodworkerstoolworks.com) they custom make any blade length,any tooth arrangement,all kinds of steel.Family owned and operated and he's a woodworker,nice to talk to him asking for advice----Carroll

Brian Cosgrove
12-24-2010, 9:17 AM
I have had much success with www.bandsawbladesdirect.com Their big brand is Lenox.

Paul Symchych
12-24-2010, 9:22 AM
Call any of the manufacturers named above. Tell them the model of saw [and/or length you want], what you want to do with it and they will have advice for material, size and tooth set. They KNOW the business and it can be a learning experience just chatting with them. I've always been impressed by how considerate the folks at Suffolk have been for what has to be a small order for them.

Its a "custom" order only in that you will get a blade that suits your needs best. They'll whip the factory blades your machine comes with. You'll have your blade(s) in a couple of days via UPS.

Rod Sheridan
12-24-2010, 12:50 PM
Rick, as everyone has mentioned, you'll get far better blades for less money at a blade supplier.

Since they cut each blade from a coil of blade stock, then weld and grind the blade, every blade is a custom blade.

Regards, Rod

Tom Walz
12-25-2010, 2:14 PM
It is pretty easy to make your own. Buy one oversize then cut, bevel the ends, braze, cleanup and use. Might want to practice a little with an old one first.

Jim Rimmer
12-25-2010, 4:10 PM
I highly recommend Highland Supply http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodslicer12resawbandsawblades705to137.aspx Woodslicer if you are going to resaw. Their order process has you pick the length and the 1/2" WS comes in 131 1/2.

greg a bender
12-25-2010, 4:11 PM
Highland hardware has all you need! <G>

That size is pretty standard now. Real blade place's will be able to fill your need.

Greg A

Rick Fisher
12-25-2010, 4:16 PM
I have never bought a retail packaged blade. Growing up in the Building supply business, we would special order blades for customers every week from a saw shop.. so it never occured to me to do it any other way.. Our blade supplier uses Morse, American made coil... I switched over to carbide about a year ago.

Bruce Wrenn
12-25-2010, 9:03 PM
Woodcraftbands.com will make your blades for you, in most any size and type you want. He is NOT in any way connected with the Woodcraft stores. Great prices and service

Wayne Cannon
12-26-2010, 12:58 AM
Try Hastings Saws. They take pride in their smooth welds. They fabricate any kind of blade and maerial of several manufacturers to any length you like. They are also an excellent source of advice on blade selection for various applications. They fabricate blades for woodworking, metalworking, and meat-cutting.

(888) 223-7016
(707) 584-8541

Van Huskey
12-29-2010, 11:29 PM
As others have said go to an industrial supply. Spectrumsupply.com has been good for me. If you buy prepacked blades you are over paying...

Richard Gonzalez
12-29-2010, 11:43 PM
If you are in or near a good sized town, check the yellow pages for a local saw shop. Sometimes you need a blade today and don't want to wait for mail order. My local shop is very price competitive with online places (no shipping!). As was mentioned above, they don't stock, but make all blades to order. I can call and it is waiting for me by the time I get there. Just as handy as having them in stock at the local woodcraft (which doesn't stock blades that fit my saw either).

Richard