PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Hollow Form

Cody Colston
12-23-2010, 10:04 PM
I was gifted a small Cherry half-log from a friend in the Northeast. It came from a blow-down in his back yard. It was delivered this afternoon just as I finished cleaning up around the lathe but I couldn't wait to turn it.

It's 5 1/2" x 4" and the Walnut finial goes to 8 3/4". Finish is one coat (so far) of MAOF. It's not on a level with the outstanding pieces I see here every day but I am nevertheless pleased with how it turned out. The wood was fairly dry so I turned it to completion in one setting.

I only turn sporatically between flatwork projects but if you feel like commenting or critiquing, go for it. I've got thick skin. :)

174942 174943 174944

John Keeton
12-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Cody, we will give you a three day "part-time turner's pass" for this one piece!!:D Nice work, and the finish on the form looks nice. What is the collar - looks like a different wood?

The finial may be a bit large, but still very well done - particularly for not turning often. You should visit over here more often!! Or, do like me - totally abandon the flatwork and become an addict!!:o

Roger Chandler
12-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Cody,

That is real sweet! I think you nailed the form and the collar is nice. The finial is a bit tall I think in proportion to the body, but boy, you sure did a great job on the turning. What hollowing system or tools do you use?

Merry Christmas to you and your family! :)

Ken Fitzgerald
12-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Cody,

The form, wood and wood combinations I like. I am in agreement iwth the others who said that the finial is a little large but all in all......I really like it.

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Cody you did well with that one. The wood and form I like a lot. Finial is a little to tall but still looks good. I would have put a small flame or something right about where the ball is.

Richard Madden
12-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Looks durn good to me!

Cody Colston
12-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Cody, we will give you a three day "part-time turner's pass" for this one piece!!:D Nice work, and the finish on the form looks nice. What is the collar - looks like a different wood?

The finial may be a bit large, but still very well done - particularly for not turning often. You should visit over here more often!! Or, do like me - totally abandon the flatwork and become an addict!!:o

I'll take the pass, John, and thanks. The collar is Walnut root. I broke the first finial from some more of that root stock and went to plain Walnut on the second try. I agree about the finial being both too fat and too tall. I thought I had it pretty thin until I looked at the pics. The height was obvious as soon as I put it on the piece but I didn't want to re-do the thing. Thanks for commenting.

Cody,

That is real sweet! I think you nailed the form and the collar is nice. The finial is a bit tall I think in proportion to the body, but boy, you sure did a great job on the turning. What hollowing system or tools do you use?

Merry Christmas to you and your family! :)

Thanks Roger. I'm still using the Sorby Hollowmaster. that's why I have to have a larger entrance hole (2" in this case) and cover it up with a collar.

Merry Christmas back to you.

Cody,

The form, wood and wood combinations I like. I am in agreement iwth the others who said that the finial is a little large but all in all......I really like it.

Thanks, Ken. yep, I agree about the finial.

Cody you did well with that one. The wood and form I like a lot. Finial is a little to tall but still looks good. I would have put a small flame or something right about where the ball is.

thanks, Bernie. I agree with you, too. When I looked at it on the piece, I realized I should have stopped at that upper ball.

Looks durn good to me!

Thanks, Richard.

Doug W Swanson
12-23-2010, 11:17 PM
Cody,
Nice job on the hollow form. It looks great and you should be proud of it....

Ron Stadler
12-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Beautiful Hf Cody, I love it and would like to make one like it. Congrats on the cherry log.

charlie knighton
12-24-2010, 2:54 AM
very nice, Sorby Hollowmaster i never did master, but i still use it in certain circumstances, glad to have some flatworkers over here, yall certainly add a greater understanding

Josh Bowman
12-24-2010, 6:35 AM
Cody,
Nice job, I agree about the finial, but heck, it still looks great! Care-full though, you're mighty close to the edge of the vortex.:D

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-24-2010, 7:45 AM
Nothing but good comments here. Nicely done.
faust

bob svoboda
12-24-2010, 9:22 AM
Very nice. If that doesn't drag you into the vortex, you have a lot more will power than I.

Cody Colston
12-24-2010, 9:42 AM
Wow. Thanks for all the kind comments. You folks are great.

Steve Schlumpf
12-24-2010, 4:57 PM
Cody - happy to see you turning! I really like the Cherry form and you did a great job on the finishing! Seems the finial thing has been covered - in-depth - but would like to add that when turning a finial, remember that it is always bigger when you take it off the lathe than when you are turning it!

Roger Chandler
12-24-2010, 7:07 PM
when turning a finial, remember that it is always bigger when you take it off the lathe than when you are turning it!

I can personally attest to that fact! it always looks smaller on the lathe than on the piece you put it on! Steve is correct! DAMHIKT :eek:

Cody Colston
12-24-2010, 7:52 PM
Cody - happy to see you turning! I really like the Cherry form and you did a great job on the finishing! Seems the finial thing has been covered - in-depth - but would like to add that when turning a finial, remember that it is always bigger when you take it off the lathe than when you are turning it!

It sure is! This morning I put it on the lathe and tried to refine it a bit, ala the comments here. I shortened it down to that upper bead and thinned it up as much as i dared with the gouge, then some more with sandpaper. I thought it was really fragile until I saw pics of it on the vessel. Oh well.

Thanks for the kind comments everybody and especially for the critiques.

John Keeton
12-24-2010, 8:11 PM
Cody, that is a substantial improvement!!! Excellent!

Roger Chandler
12-24-2010, 9:14 PM
Definitely more proportional to the body. Nice work Cody!

Baxter Smith
12-24-2010, 9:23 PM
Nice improvement and a pretty piece!

Cody Colston
12-24-2010, 9:25 PM
Thanks, guys.

joel nucifore
12-25-2010, 6:59 AM
much nicer you have a real keeper there