PDA

View Full Version : Live Center Cover

Tim Thiebaut
12-23-2010, 8:41 PM
I wasnt going to post this because it really isnt that big of a deal considering the level of work you all post, but then I thought that maybe this might help someone else that is new like myself so what the heck. The only live center I received when I bought my lathe has a sharp center point on it, so I cant back my tailstock up to a piece I am working on without leaving a diviot in it, so to solve that I turned a cover out of Osage Orange to go over my live center, I saw this in a video on JR Bealls site so all credit for the idea goes to JR. I used Myland friction polish but did not put any right at the tip, I left that unfinished. Buying a new center is pretty low on my list of prioritys right now, so that will get me by for a while.

David E Keller
12-23-2010, 8:47 PM
Good work... That'll definitely come in handy.

Doug W Swanson
12-23-2010, 8:55 PM
Nice idea. Should work great!

Also, the little point in your live center is removable. Just insert a long, thin screwdriver into the other end of the live center and it will pop right out. Your live center will be the shape of the circle around the point but it does come in handy sometimes to remove the center point....

Steve Schlumpf
12-23-2010, 9:21 PM
Nice solution to a problem! I can also see how this idea would come in handy if you wanted to support a larger turning - such as a vase!

Ron Stadler
12-23-2010, 9:28 PM
Yep, hold nothing back. I'm still very new to turning and any knowledge is sure welcome.

Jim Underwood
12-23-2010, 9:56 PM
On your Jet Mini, you can use your knockout rod to pop that center out. Then you have a cup center. Or you could turn a little larger center that fits in that taper...

Also, once you figure out how to make one cover, you can turn all sorts of things to go on that center- like a large cone center for centering up cored, or drilled out pieces.

jerry downey
12-23-2010, 10:53 PM
Tim
Where on JR Beals site did you find the video? I can"t seem to find it.

Thanks Jerry

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Great idea and the point can be removed easily.

Tim Thiebaut
12-23-2010, 11:56 PM
Oh god the point comes out? I had no idea! Oh well I still had fun turning this and will I am sure it will come in handy in many situations to come, but thanks for telling me about the pointing coming out, I will check that out first thing in the morning.

@ Jerry - JR shows and talks about the cover he made in Part 1 of the Treen Mandrel series of videos, at approx. 6 minutes 25 seconds into the video listed below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_cuaQqFCrM

Josh Bowman
12-24-2010, 6:41 AM
Tim, that has a double solution. Your original idea and just slip it on to keep from making a divit in your elbow while hollowing. I've been taught to remove the live center to keep from poking a hole in my right arm while turning. With your cover, or one a little blunter, you could just slip it on for protection.:cool:

Chris Colman
12-24-2010, 6:55 AM
What is that called - "turner's tatoo"? - that continual scab or scar on the elbow from whacking the live center all the time?

Fred Belknap
12-24-2010, 6:57 AM
Tim, that has a double solution. Your original idea and just slip it on to keep from making a divit in your elbow while hollowing. I've been taught to remove the live center to keep from poking a hole in my right arm while turning. With your cover, or one a little blunter, you could just slip it on for protection.:cool:

After I bloodied my elbow on mine I drilled a hole in a small block of wood and put it on the live center. I like your idea better (as long as it isn't sharp):D

Tim Thiebaut
12-24-2010, 8:00 AM
That is a great idea, I will be sure and slide it on before doing any hollowing now! I just bought my first hollowing tool yesterday too so it wouldnt have been long!