PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Blank Cutting Info

Greg Bender
12-23-2010, 8:33 PM
I ask the more advanced turners here for some advice.A woodworking buddy of mine who owns a moulding and flat lumber business here in Mooresville had an opportunity to purchase some pretty incredible chunks of redwood burl ( 140+lbs),some curly koa,eucalyptus burl,and some crazy maple.He is not a turner and I do not have the experience with that kind of wood to decide how it should be cut.It has at least the figure that the piece that Rick Markham posted as bowl #3 has .I can refer you to him or I can forward your suggestions to him.Either way as this is not a sales post. If somebody really likes to turn any of the above listed blanks I can put you in touch with him. Super guy to deal with and he also has lots of flat lumber if your here in NC. If I'm violating any of our rules please let me know and I will edit this post accordingly.
Thanx,Greg

Jim Burr
12-23-2010, 8:52 PM
I'd be remiss in saying how to cut it due to ignorance on the subject, but I'd like to partake in the results. Offer your friend and family a Merry Christmas for me!!!

Greg Bender
12-23-2010, 9:09 PM
Jim,
same to you and your family as well.If we can drum up some solid advice and there is a place to post some of it I know he would like to sell it to somebody who can really turn it to the level that I see on this site quite frequently.Take care,
Greg

Terry Gerros
12-23-2010, 11:59 PM
Greg,
You might want to give Mike Smith a call. He lives in Middlesex, about 3 hours from Mooresville, I believe. He would more than likely come over as his brother lives there. Give him a call, he and I talked about your post tonight, so he is OK with you calling. 252-230-3109 cell Not only does he know how to cut turning blanks for figure, but he is a pretty darn good turner as well.

Merry Christmas,
Terry

Greg Bender
12-24-2010, 12:06 AM
Terry,
which Mooresville are you talking about, I'm in North Carolina.I did not recognize the phone number area code .Talk to you tomorrow. It's late.
Greg

Ron Bontz
12-24-2010, 12:13 AM
Gee thanks. Now I am sitting here drooling on myself. Happy holidays.:)

Scott Hackler
12-24-2010, 12:43 AM
hmmm, I'm looking for a source for GOOD burl wood. PM me if you think he wants to sell some.

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2010, 9:20 AM
I also would be interested. Looking for some nice pieces of burl.

Greg Bender
12-24-2010, 1:30 PM
I talked to Rick this morning and he is going to put up some pictures of the burls on his website. I will post here when I here from him that he has got them up.Have a great holiday.
Greg