PDA

View Full Version : A couple drawer pulls.

Andrew Gibson
12-23-2010, 7:11 PM
I picked up a spur drive to fit my lathe, and a few weeks ago I grabbed a couple turning blanks from Woodcraft. I turned a couple of knobs to see what I could do, what wood I like, and if I could turn more then one and make them look alike.

I turned one knob from Kingwood. It is a bit rounder in shape. I also turned 4 knobs from a 12" blank of Cocobola. 3 of them turned out nice and very similar. The fourth is a bit different. All that being said these were meant as practice and I think all will end up being usable on one project or another. I could not get the color in the Kingwood to come out but it has a really nice purple color and nice grain as well.

I polished these 2 and gave then a coat of wax and a quick polish and this is what I came up with... Let me know what you think.
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk294/handyandy3459/100_1362.jpghttp://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk294/handyandy3459/100_1355.jpg

Rick Markham
12-23-2010, 7:28 PM
Andrew, I really like the form of the one on the right in the second picture. Good work! I say keep practicing until you come up with 12 ones that are all similar. By then you should be tired of turning knobs and have plenty for projects in the future. They look good, good turning!! It's FUN isn't it? Who said this is addictive?

Andrew Gibson
12-23-2010, 7:38 PM
Andrew, I really like the form of the one on the right in the second picture. Good work! I say keep practicing until you come up with 12 ones that are all similar. By then you should be tired of turning knobs and have plenty for projects in the future. They look good, good turning!! It's FUN isn't it? Who said this is addictive?

Thanks Rick. I really am liking that one as well. That is the one I have several of. I think I need to get more of that cocobolo and turn several more. I only need 5 so if I turn a dozen or so I should get 5 I like :)

........ I think it's cocobolo

Jim Underwood
12-23-2010, 7:41 PM
Like those shapes! It's nice to make useful stuff..

John Keeton
12-23-2010, 7:49 PM
Actually, they both have very pleasing form, but I think I like the one on the right, as well. And, it is really hard to beat cocobolo for character!

Steve Schlumpf
12-23-2010, 8:12 PM
Nice work Andrew! Pretty wood! Another vote for the knob on the right! Just looks a little more refined to me!

Mark Hubl
12-23-2010, 8:31 PM
Good job Andrew. Those look very good. Looks like you are well on your way to be able to make knobs for your project. Good job.

David DeCristoforo
12-23-2010, 9:08 PM
OK... someone is going to have to prefer the one on the left. Might as well be me...

Ron Stadler
12-23-2010, 9:31 PM
I have to agee with John on this one, they both looking nice to me.