PDA

View Full Version : Early Christmas Gloat

Nate Davey
12-23-2010, 6:05 PM
Ever had one of those days where everything went right? Went to the mailbox today and what to my wondering eyes should appear, but the Richard Raffan trifecta ordered from Tauton. Also, a 60 degree precision live center, dead center and Slimline bushings from JohnnyCNC. These things just ooze quality you can feel when you hold them. He was also kind enough to send a blue PVC pen blank to get the bushings started out right.

Finally, took a Christmas ornament I made to the guy who gives me my wood, he refuses to except my money.....God bless him. He sent me home with a slab of Orange Osage, Hard Maple Burl and Buckeye Burl. And what is all that stuff leaned up against you ask??? A 4' log of Osage he also refused to except payment for.

Now I'm going to take my new Raffan book to a more private chamber for some quiet reading. One of the more esteemed members of this board mentioned it is great for that time in repose.

Merry Christmas to all of you and and my you have a healthy and prosperous new years

John Keeton
12-23-2010, 7:08 PM
Nate, it truly is Christmas and there is a Santa Claus!!! You just have to give him your credit card info!:D

And, sounds like you have taken some sage advice on that "private reading chamber!";)

Steve Schlumpf
12-23-2010, 9:35 PM
Wow - congrats on all the wood - your new DVDs, book and equipment! Have fun!

charlie knighton
12-24-2010, 3:14 AM
sounds like a plan, enjoy!

joel nucifore
12-24-2010, 5:48 AM
enjoy and a MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU......

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2010, 9:06 AM
Congrats on some fine pieces. I just got Raffan's new DVD on Bowls. Enjoy and have fun. Merry Christmas.

Jeff Nicol
12-24-2010, 10:17 AM
I have the Raffan books, videos and they were the first I ever watched and got me started in my learning of wood turning! The wood and live center will come in handy on your pen turning and one can never have to much wood, unless you are me! I have to start cleaning out some old stock to make room for all the new stuff i will surely collect this next season!

Have fun and keep us posted on your work,

Merry Christmas,

Jeff

Ron Stadler
12-24-2010, 11:09 AM
I have all those myself, and enjoy all of them. Richard is such a good turner there is much to learn from him.

Jim Laumann
12-28-2010, 4:04 PM
Nate

Your books from Taunton - was that a set that they have available, or individual items?

Thanks

Jim

Nate Davey
12-28-2010, 4:39 PM
I think I bought them separately, but they were all grouped in the "Also Bought" section as I selected each.

cliff smith
12-28-2010, 5:47 PM
hi nate if you enjoy those rafan books and dvd as much as i did you will want to attend the north carolina symposium in nov in greensboro here is scheduled to do demostrations there . you will enjoy the smposium. thats some nice wood there was that obtained locally?

cliff

Nate Davey
12-28-2010, 7:14 PM
I hope to be in town for the symposium. The wood I got from the sawmill my buddy owns. Not sure where he got it from.