PDA

View Full Version : Wood veneer interesting use

Martin Boekers
12-23-2010, 5:34 PM
Has anyone played with this a bit?

http://cardsofwood.com/products/laser-printable-veneer

I had a few sheets of LaserBits Walnut so I had to try it
with my Xerox Phaser. It came out pretty cool!
Definatly has some potential.

These guys are quite a bit cheaper and have a larger selection.

Let me know if anyone has worked with this and what you think!

Larry Bratton
12-23-2010, 5:49 PM
That looks pretty cool. I can envision color printing on an inlay created with the laser. I have an Okidata laser printer that does great color. I might give this a try. $1.35 a sheet is cheap enough. Thanks for posting it.

Martin Boekers
12-23-2010, 5:59 PM
I am going to order some next week, I always find some neat stuff
and then I have to wait to play with it!:mad:

Happy Holidays!

Marty

Jeff Belany
12-24-2010, 10:53 AM
I've ordered their veneer and it is pretty cool. Haven't tried running it through my printer but I have cut it with the laser. These guys have been doing micro veneer for many years and produce a quality product. Their thickest (what they can postcard stock) is still pretty thin. Great for bookmarks and ornaments. If I remember, the 23x23 size is the best buy and easy to cut down to whatever size you need. Give it a try.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

william gardner
12-26-2010, 7:56 PM
I buy from Cards of Wood, great product. They will cut the sheet in half if you ask. This year I made and sold gift tags and book marks.

Tim Baude
12-26-2010, 8:37 PM
This stuff looks pretty cool....for those who have used them. Which species tends to laser the best? I may print to try something new, but overall would like to engrave business cards, and such. Thank you for any help you can offer.
Tim

Larry Bratton
12-27-2010, 9:40 AM
I buy from Cards of Wood, great product. They will cut the sheet in half if you ask. This year I made and sold gift tags and book marks.
What's a recommended power/speed and dpi setting for engraving cards? Even with the thickest they have .025 it looks like it would be real easy to overpower it. I am going to order some for cards and bookmarks. Do you use the printable paper back or the other?

william gardner
12-27-2010, 8:10 PM
I will have to get back to you. All of the information is in my shop. If you would like E-Mail me at wmgardner1@comcastdotnet and I will sent some of the items that were cut from the veneer.

Michigan Bill

Larry Bratton
12-27-2010, 9:49 PM
I will have to get back to you. All of the information is in my shop. If you would like E-Mail me at and I will sent some of the items that were cut from the veneer.

Michigan Bill
Bill:
Sending you an e-mail

Matt Barinholtz
12-27-2010, 10:00 PM
The folks at Cards of Wood laid up custom sized sheets - 12 x 18 - for our old Universal. Made bookmarks with my students - sold them by the hundred - from their card stock thickness. They were more than happy to make custom sheets for us - maple on one side, walnut / cherry / ash on the other...we were incredibly pleased. There was occasionally some issues with pinholes in the cherry showing the adhesive veneer layer, but other than that, great stuff. Many uses. Consider warping / buckling with some veneers (i.e. maple) if only engraving one ply.

Paper stock thickness wasn't something we dealt with often. Requires much practice. Hope this helps.