PDA

View Full Version : My first Neander Project

Roy Lindberry
12-23-2010, 4:09 PM
Well, a while back I asked for some advice on pedestal table joinery and got some good information. I finally finished this project, and while there are a ton of flaws in it, I'm very happy with it as my first real neanderthal project. There is quite a learning curve.

The pedestal itself was turned on the power lathe, because I wasn't able to get my treadle lathe built and working in time (this is a Christmas gift). Also, the top and feet were roughed out on the bandsaw, but all of the final shaping and surfacing was by hand. The rounded profile on the top and feet were done with my homemade scratch stock (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?148188-My-Scratch-Stock-Design).

Feet are joined to the pedestal with sliding dovetails. Pedestal is joined with a wedged round tenon through a half lap brace that is then screwed to the top.

Eastern hard maple.

Finish is 1 coat of Benite, 1 Coat of Danish Oil, and who knows how many coats of amber shellac and a coat of paste wax. This was my first attempt at shellac as well, and so I had some issues with that as well, but I got a very nice gloss on the top.

My apologies for the photography, and thanks for looking.

John Coloccia
12-23-2010, 4:41 PM
That's very nice, Roy. I'm glad you figured out the shellac. It's my favorite finish.

Now just why would you dump your power lathe for a treadle lathe? Moving onto a boat, or something? :D

Rob Young
12-23-2010, 6:04 PM
Well done!

Mark Wyatt
12-23-2010, 7:27 PM
Roy,

Great project and I really like the finish on the table.

Jim Koepke
12-23-2010, 9:11 PM
That is a very nice table. I am sure who ever receives this for Christmas will enjoy it for years to come.

jtk

Roy Lindberry
12-25-2010, 10:40 PM
That's very nice, Roy. I'm glad you figured out the shellac. It's my favorite finish.

I like it too, so far. I like padding better than brushing, based on this limited experience.

Now just why would you dump your power lathe for a treadle lathe? Moving onto a boat, or something? :D

Not quite. It was just an overwhelming urge to to a project completely without power tools. But once the lathe thing didn't work out, I didn't mind using power tools for other things, though it was still important to me to do the joinery, shaping, surfacing, and finishing by hand.

Eric Brown
12-26-2010, 5:06 AM
Looks real good. Should be proud.
Whats next after your lathe?
OH, and be sure to tell us about that as well.
Thanks for sharing.
Happy Holidays.
Eric