PDA

View Full Version : Reality frustration....backup plan being the Delta 46-460 as a 1st lathe??

Rick Cicciarelli
12-23-2010, 1:45 PM
I was thinking of going with the Grizzly G0698 but the reality is, I won't have the cash for that for some time, and I still need to spend a fair bit to update my breaker box and add a 220 circuit that I would be able to use. Obviously all of this is not going to happen any time soon. I am getting tired of waiting and I am thinking it might just be easier for me to get into this if I go with the Delta 46-460. I would have to put together a bench for it to sit on, but I would be able to just use the 110 circuits I currently have wired up and I think the 12" swing would last me for quite a while. Do you think this is a bad plan? Or are there other better options?

Roger Chandler
12-23-2010, 1:54 PM
I was thinking of going with the Grizzly G0698 but the reality is, I won't have the cash for that for some time, and I still need to spend a fair bit to update my breaker box and add a 220 circuit that I would be able to use. Obviously all of this is not going to happen any time soon. I am getting tired of waiting and I am thinking it might just be easier for me to get into this if I go with the Delta 46-460. I would have to put together a bench for it to sit on, but I would be able to just use the 110 circuits I currently have wired up and I think the 12" swing would last me for quite a while. Do you think this is a bad plan? Or are there other better options?

Rick,

I think it is a good plan........later when your budget will allow, then you can most likely sell the Delta 46-460, and get the Grizzly G0698. It would be my guess that likely you will end up keeping both, :eek:;) as that Delta midi is a really nice unit, and you can work on two lathes on different parts of a project without having to change out chucks etc. You cannot go wrong with either! I have the G0698, and it has been superb!

David T gray
12-23-2010, 2:12 PM
Rick,

I think it is a good plan........later when your budget will allow, then you can most likely sell the Delta 46-460, and get the Grizzly G0698. It would be my guess that likely you will end up keeping both, :eek:;) as that Delta midi is a really nice unit, and you can work on two lathes on different parts of a project without having to change out chucks etc. You cannot go wrong with either! I have the G0698, and it has been superb!

but at the cost of having a extra lathe you could just buy another 2 chucks

Bill Bulloch
12-23-2010, 2:14 PM
Seems like you have already made up your mind. You have a good plan. Now just do it. You'll never regret it. And, like Roger said, "you likely end up keeping both". I did. I bought the Delta 46-460, then the Delta 46-745X. I kept them both. I like to keep two segmented project going at once; while the glue is drying on one, I can turn on the other. I also kept my Jet 1236, but only use it as a disc sander and buffer.

Roger Chandler
12-23-2010, 2:19 PM
Seems like you have already made up your mind. You have a good plan. Now just do it. You'll never regret it. And, like Roger said, "you likely end up keeping both". I did. I bought the Delta 46-460, then the Delta 46-745X. I kept them both. I like to keep two segmented project going at once; while the glue is drying on one, I can turn on the other. I also kept my Jet 1236, but only use it as a disc sander and buffer.

Now here is a man with a plan! Bill, I like your style! I also like those beautiful segmented turnings that you show us on occasion! You do nice work!

Jon Prouty
12-23-2010, 2:46 PM

I went through the same arguments with myself a couple months ago. I decided on the Delta and am very happy. I have added a bunch more goodies now and I am happy that I got the Delta.

Jon

James Combs
12-23-2010, 3:06 PM

Ditto: Kept my first one a Griz GO658 midi and haven't looked back. Makes it nice to be able to work on both ends of a project so to speak.

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2010, 3:23 PM
Rick I think it is a great plan. You can always keep that lathe when you get a bigger one. I love have my smaller one for doing small projects and the big one for the bigger projects.