PDA

View Full Version : Delta 46-460 owners

Ken Casser
12-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Just received a new 46-460 and I have a question for others who have one. In the red switch there is a piece of foam membrane. Is that to keep out sawdust? or is it packing material that should be removed?

It sure runs smoothly. I think it will be a nice replacement for the big old Yates-American that I had.

Jon Prouty
12-23-2010, 1:03 PM
congrats on the new lathe. I've got the same one. The foam stays there...

Enjoy!

Jon

John Keeton
12-23-2010, 1:11 PM
Congrats!! A new, proud member of -

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=141251&d=1265645584

Michael James
12-23-2010, 1:13 PM
hmmm never noticed...didnt read the directions either! You're going to love that lathe!
Happy holidaze!
mj

Ken Hill
12-23-2010, 2:27 PM
Leave it there I do believe....but you will be removing that switch for a cleaning now and then

Ken Casser
12-24-2010, 8:00 AM
Next question, did you buy the base that is made for it? or have you built your own? Any great ideas out there? I'm thinking of building one from 4 x 6's, with built in racks for my chisels, and a drawer for my chuck parts, centers, etc. Not sure what direction it'll take yet, but it should be fun. Anyone with unique ideas/photos would be appreciated.

Ken Hill
12-24-2010, 8:18 AM
I have mine on one of the steel tables I built for metal work. I did not want to buy or build anything until I used the lathe and decided on what would suit me best. After using it for several months, IMO I think I am going to settle on a stand that I will build that will allow me complete walk around access and some form of portability.

charlie knighton
12-24-2010, 9:31 AM
congratulations, enjoy

Ken Casser
12-24-2010, 9:56 AM
Thanks, all!

Ken, are you thinking of adding wheels? I thought about it, but I don't want to inject any 'play' in the stand. Maybe some kind of retractable wheels would work. I had a Craftsman lathe for many years, and when I bolted it to a bunch of 4 x 6's, it was solid as a rock.

Jim Colombo
12-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Ken;
I bought the stand when I bought the lathe and ended up selling it. Their was too much wobble when I turned anything of size that was not already round. I ended up building a stand and loading it with sand for stability. I think you'll enjoy making a stand, especially if you add all the features you want for your tools. I'll attach a picture of the stand I made later in the week.

Jim Colombo
12-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Ken;
Here's the bench I made. One word of advise, when you attach the top to the sides DO NOT use pocket screws. They do not hold. I ended up using lag screws from the top into the sides.
Best of luck and let's see what you end up with. /Users/jimcolombo/Desktop/IMG_0775.JPG

Ken Hill
12-24-2010, 2:57 PM
Thanks, all!

Ken, are you thinking of adding wheels? I thought about it, but I don't want to inject any 'play' in the stand. Maybe some kind of retractable wheels would work. I had a Craftsman lathe for many years, and when I bolted it to a bunch of 4 x 6's, it was solid as a rock.

I may, but if I make one I will make it from very heavy steel with wheels that will drop down when needed and not be used whatsoever for supporting the lathe. It will weigh a ton thats for sure!

Jim Colombo
12-24-2010, 5:30 PM
Ken;
Here's another attempt to attach a picture175037

Harry Robinette
12-24-2010, 5:42 PM
Jim
I found out that cement or mortar mix is the heavys per valume of all the dry junk we use for weight.I noticed the bag on your's.
Harry

Jeff Hanson
12-24-2010, 10:07 PM
Ken,

Congrats on the new lathe. Here's a photo (I hope) of the stand I built

Bill Blasic
12-25-2010, 6:02 AM
I have the Delta stand and find it very steady.
Bill

Ken Casser
12-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Very nice! Thank you both for the photos! And Jim, you have a handy supply of sand for if/when it snows!

What chucks are you guys using? I have a PCC2000 that's working well, but my Axminster Super Precision Chuck needs a new backplate to work with this lathe and I just found out it'll cost me about $60 to get it from England. Then, after looking at new chucks, I read that the Nova G3 at 3 pounds "minimizes the load on smaller spindles and bearings", and I got concerned. I'll weigh my Axminster tonight, but I'm wondering if it'll be too heavy for this lathe. Any advice? I'm used to a really heavy lathe, so I'm a little concerned about over-stressing this one.

Ken Casser
12-29-2010, 11:43 AM
Jeff, what is the purpose of the offset shelf at the left end of your bench? And, could I ask you to show closer photos of your wheel system at each end?

Gene Hintze
12-29-2010, 2:34 PM
I have my Delta bolted to a 4' X 8' work table with a 1 1/2" top and a lower shelf. The table has 6 legs and has the weight to keep things from bouncing around unless I am rough turning a very out of round blank. The lower shelf is great for storing power tools and the large upper work surface is used for finishing, flatwork or holding my beer bottle when I am not turning. I use a G3 chuck and it is a fine compliment to the Delta.

Jeff Hanson
12-29-2010, 9:52 PM
Jeff, what is the purpose of the offset shelf at the left end of your bench? And, could I ask you to show closer photos of your wheel system at each end?
Hi Ken, The shelf is used to hold tools, sanding paper, etc. It is hinged to the bench and can be raised or lower by removing the support post. I have attached a photo of the shelf which shows the front wheels - I need to replace these wheels with stronger framed wheels - the current ones are from HF and the frame has bent. The other photo shows the rear wheel jack.

I hope this helps !

Thanks
Jeff

Ken Casser
12-30-2010, 3:09 PM
Very nice! Thank you, Jeff. You've given me some new ideas.

Ken Casser
01-11-2011, 10:46 AM
In case you're wondering, here's where I'm at so far. I finished putting the main base together yesterday (a bigger job than anticipated). Now, all I have to do is add sliding trays under the right side for my chisels, a drawer for chuck parts, centers, etc, and one bed extension. No wheels yet - not sure if I need them. This thing is really heavy and deadens vibration very nicely. And I like the feel of the wood under the lathe. Cost of the 4 x 6's was about the same as the Delta stand + extension would have cost (but I also have to add the cost of the threaded rods/washers/bolts plus drawers, etc).

dan carter
01-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Now that is a stand that any self respecting 46-460 would love to be sitting on. Very nice.

Jon Prouty
01-11-2011, 1:16 PM
very nice! I really like your stand.

Steve Speiser
01-11-2011, 2:42 PM
Jeff,
When you crank the single wheel all the way down, do the rear legs sit on the floor or is the bench still on the rear wheels?
Thanks,
Steve

Jeff Hanson
01-11-2011, 8:20 PM
Hi Steve, With the rear wheel jack cranked all the way down the table sets solely on the four legs. I used photo's of John Keeton's bench as a guide in building the wheel setup. I purchased the trailer jack at HF - it was around $20.00 on sale.

I hope this helps!
Jeff

Ken Casser
01-18-2011, 9:58 AM
Here's an update. I've added a bottomless drawer for my chisels, and a piece on the end for the long ones, etc. A regular drawer for chucks, etc, is coming.