PDA

View Full Version : Problems with 8" Delta variable speed grinder

Ron Stadler
12-23-2010, 11:39 AM
I have been having problems with getting a sharp edge on my tools because of this grinder, its has a irratating vibration in it and your tools bounce on it at any speed dialed, our president of our turning club has the same grinder and has the same problem and wants to trash his. He and I have both bought good stones and well, obviously there worthless on this grinder.

Not really sure how he has his mounted, but mine is mounted on a rock solid bench and vibrates and still vibrates. Another thing I might add is some of stones you buy have those insert adapters to fit any size shaft, but the one I have fit loosely together giving it all the more reason to vibrate, I put back on the factory white wheel that came with the grinder and that took some vibration back out because it fits more tightly to the shaft, but still very noticeable vibration here.

Anyway, if anyone has any information on this please help, I don't think the stones are imbalanced on anything, just think something wrong with grinder. Maybe I just need to buy a better grinder.:(

bob svoboda
12-23-2010, 11:58 AM
I have a cheap slow speed grinder and had the same problems. I went with a wheel balancing (Oneway) system and the Oneway wheel dresser and it now runs smoothly. Have also heard that Don Geiger has a great system. I'm sure others will chime in with a lot more information. Good Luck!

Salvatore Buscemi
12-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Does it vibrate when the wheels are off? If so, it's the grinder. If not, it's the wheels, or how they are mounted. If it's the wheels try some metal bushings instead of the plastic ones, and true the wheels. Even the best grinder will vibrate with out-of-balance wheels.

Sal

Ron Stadler
12-23-2010, 12:18 PM
I will try that Sal, I have checked when wheels are off, but where would I get the metal bushings your talking about?

Ron Stadler
12-23-2010, 12:32 PM
May try this oneway system, sounds good. thanks.

Roger Chandler
12-23-2010, 1:38 PM
I will try that Sal, I have checked when wheels are off, but where would I get the metal bushings your talking about?

Ron, try this on for size, it cured my vibration problems on the same grinder!

Drill Bushings and Liners
This product matches all of your selections.

http://www.mcmaster.com/param/images/DrillBushings/8491a667-shorter.gif
Part Number: 8491A562 (http://www.mcmaster.com/itm/find.ASP?tab=find&context=psrchDtlLink&fasttrack=False&searchstring=8491A562) 1-5 Each $9.60 Each
6-11 $8.17 Each
12 or more $7.20 Each
Type
Press-Fit Drill Bushings
Material
Steel
Steel Material Type
Case-Hardened Steel
Fractional Drill Size
5/8" (.625")
System of Measurement
Inch
Inside Diameter
.625"
Inside Diameter Tolerance
+.0001" to +.0005"
Outside Diameter
1"
Outside Diameter Tolerance
+.0015" to +.0018"
Length
1"
Length Tolerance
±.015"
Rockwell Hardness
C61-C65
Specifications Met
American National Standards Institute (ANSI)

http://www.mcmaster.com/param/images/detailpg.gif?partNbr=8491A562&FAM=DrillBushings&FT_158=30236&FT_101=5458&FT_3572=251399&FT_776=93677&FT_104=4054&FT_134=2324&FT_555=30183&FT_135=632&FT_424=206741&FT_136=980&FT_719=43697&FT_2234=206737&FT_518=116977

http://www.mcmaster.com/param/css/IDSLogo-wo-cat.gif
© McMaster-Carr Supply Company. All rights reserved.

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2010, 3:28 PM
Either the oneway truing or Don's truing device will true your wheels up. I had a problem with mine and after truing the wheels it went away.

Bob Bergstrom
12-23-2010, 4:01 PM
Also might try loosing the wheels and rotating them a quarter or half turn in opposite directions. Retighten them and see if the vibration changes. If it does it is the wheels.

Ron Stadler
12-23-2010, 5:13 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, gonna try the oneway system. Wish me luck.:D

Michael James
12-23-2010, 8:50 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, gonna try the oneway system. Wish me luck.:D
Ron, invest in the mcmaster bushings too. those plastic ones are not helping your situation at all. the mcmaster's will last forever on any wheel.
Good luck. Many of us have been in your situation.. Guarantee night and day difference.
mj

Ron Stadler
12-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Ok, thanks Mike, sure will.

Ryan Baker
12-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Ron,

I have that grinder too and have spent a long time dealing with its problems. The cause of your problems is the micro-step on the grinder shaft where the inner flange washer sits against the step. The problem is that because the step is way too small, and the tolerence of the washers is bad, the washers will not sit squarely against the shoulder, and the wheels cannot be mounted square to the shaft no matter what tricks you try to pull.

All of the things mentioned above are good ideas, but none of them will help you until you find a way to mount the wheels properly to the shaft. If you could get some precision machined washers from somewhere (Oneway provides one with their balancing kit -- don't know if they would sell them alone), AND if the step on the shaft hasn't deteriorated too much, you might be able to make that work if you also get some good bushings for the wheels (as mentioned above). Good bushings alone will not fix the problem (I have tried).

I'll tell you the truth. The fastest and easiest solution is to add a Oneway balancing kit. You won't need it to balance the wheels (that's a side benefit you probably won't need to use), but it provides a way to get a solid, square mount of the wheels to the shaft. That will fix the majority of the problem in one step -- but it's a step that costs as much as the grinder. Note that on this grinder, you will need to reverse the balancers left to right from the normal procedure -- the left one on the right side and vice versa. There is some info about that on the Oneway site for this specific grinder model. I also replaced the quick nuts with standard hex nuts on mine, which worked much better. You can get left and right hex nuts at any ACE hardware or similar.

Once you have the wheels mounted square to the shaft, you should use a wheel truing tool (not necessarily just a dressing tool) to get the wheels round. At that point, they should be running pretty smoothly.

That's really the only solution that works. What you have to decide is whether you are better off to chuck the whole thing in the trash and start over with something better before having to double or triple the money you already have into this thing.

Ron Stadler
12-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Thanks Ryan, well I already sent for the Oneway system so hope it works.:)

Ryan Baker
12-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Thanks Ryan, well I already sent for the Oneway system so hope it works.:)

You should be in good shape. Take a look at the note for the GR450 at the very bottom of this page ...
http://oneway.ca/sharpening/balancing.htm

Ron Stadler
12-23-2010, 11:34 PM
I did that Ryan, but where do I get the extra machined washer their talking about? I ordered the system through craft supplies and I don't think those extra washers are gonna be in there.:confused:

Ryan Baker
12-26-2010, 10:26 PM
I did that Ryan, but where do I get the extra machined washer their talking about? I ordered the system through craft supplies and I don't think those extra washers are gonna be in there.:confused:

You don't necessarily need the extra washers. I didn't use any extra washers at all.

You need to put the left flange on the right side and vice versa in order to be able to use the quick nuts. When you reverse sides with the flanges, the wheel will be sitting a little closer to the motor than originally. There may have been some interference with the guard too -- can't remember. The two washers mentioned are to space the whole thing back into the original position. ( If there is no interference, and you don't mind the slight position change, you may not care about the washers.)

Oneway gives you 2 machined washers (one for each side) with the kit. You could use that one on the inside, and a standard washer between that and the flange. You could only use the one washer on each side if it gives enough spacing. You could call Oneway and get them to send you a couple more machined washers. You could probably find a suitable spacer/bushing from somewhere like McMaster-Carr.

There is another option though. You could pitch the quick nuts, switch to normal hex nuts, and then you could forget all of these tricks and mount the flanges on the intended sides like any other grinder.