PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Setup Question

Andrew Kertesz
12-23-2010, 9:54 AM
I am trying to make sure my TS is setup prior to the Dubby sled being delivered. I have the Deluxe model of the A-Line It and when checking from the left miter slot the blade heels in toward the fence .001" (at least I think I'm reading the dial indicator correctly). To me this seems minute and nothing to worry about. Should I try and correct this or leave it be? Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!:D

Prashun Patel
12-23-2010, 9:56 AM
I'd let your Dubby arrive and then make a 5sided cut. If it's good, leave it.

Bob Wingard
12-23-2010, 10:41 AM
0.001" really isn't bad, but, since you have the instrument to work with, why not try to do better ??? The offset won't have any significant impact on the use of the Dubby, since it rides in the left slot (assuming that's the model you're getting) ... but, that 0.001", even though it's slight possibly/probably is going to give you some scratch marks from the blade when using the tip fence. Chect the alignment to the fence, and see if the rear of the fence toes away, and by how much.

If the blade drops away from the left slot by 0.001" but the fence toes away by a few thou. more, it might be perfectly acceptable.

Dialing in with the instrument(s) is great, but if the saw is cutting cleanly and not binding in any configuration of cut ... you might just be better off leaving it alone. Myself, I have a dial indicator that reads in 0.0001", so I try to take advantage of that accuracy level when setting up my saw. Problem is, cast iron is a bit flexible over large spans, and, if you just lean on my saw a little, you can see a tiny bit of deflection. That's why I made the comment that if it is cutting to your satisfaction, the number(s) mean very little in the long run.

scott spencer
12-23-2010, 12:25 PM
On a good day, 0.001" deviation would be the least of my worries! On a bad day it wouldn't even register on the radar. :eek: ;)

Ron Jones near Indy
12-23-2010, 7:47 PM
On a good day, 0.001" deviation would be the least of my worries! On a bad day it wouldn't even register on the radar. :eek: ;)

Ditto!:) Don't think my radar could possibly pick up on .001"

Ronald Blue
12-23-2010, 8:03 PM
.001 of an inch is nothing in the woodworking world. I can't imagine trying to align anything to .0001 of an inch. How frustrating it would be. You certainly could never see or feel it in a cut. There is nothing about woodworking that requires precision to that level. You might want to rotate the blade and arbor and check the run out.

Neil Brooks
12-23-2010, 8:36 PM
You might want to rotate the blade and arbor and check the run out.

And make sure the arbor isn't too mucked up, when you do.

Gotta' start with the easy stuff, first ;)

Pat Barry
12-23-2010, 8:49 PM
Make sure you measure from tooth to same tooth on the blade. If it is .001" then I doubt you can do any better and have a real chance of making it worse.

Matt Kestenbaum
12-23-2010, 9:40 PM
For what its worth I believe that the specs on the best cabinet saws are for +/- .002" on fence flatness...I have found between .001" - .002" deviation on a few of my tools (Saw Stop rip fence and Grizzly G0490 jointer iron to be exact) and both manufacturers said that ≤.002" was within spec. Keep in mind that you are talking about less that 25% the thickness of a human hair.

Andrew Kertesz
12-24-2010, 6:01 AM
I appreciate all the input and responses. I have checked the same tooth on the blade although I haven't checked for arbor run out yet. My concern was even though it is .001 it does heel towards the fence. I guess I could always heel the fence out the same amount. My saw is a Sears hybrid cabinet saw with cabinet mounted trunions.

Jay Allen
12-24-2010, 8:27 AM
.001 (one thousandth) of an inch is truly insignificant, you will get more movement out of the blade itself than that. I would say that you are lucky to get it that close, and stand every chance of making it worse by trying to "fix it".