PDA

View Full Version : zero clearence for chop saw?

Jesse Tutterrow
12-23-2010, 8:39 AM
I was reading "6 Methods to Maximize Your Miter saw" in the Dec/Jan issue of Wood magazine. They suggest that you backup your cuts with zero clearance for both the bottom and back (fence). I never noticed any tear-out when cutting.

What do you think?
Is it worth the effort?
How would you attach the bottom? My DeWalt has Aluminum base and it looks to thin to drill and tap.

Thanks

Lance Norris
12-23-2010, 8:45 AM
Dewalt makes a zero clearance insert for the Miter saws thay sell. Its a replacement yellow plastic insert with no blade slot. You install it and then cut thru it.

Larry Rasmussen
12-23-2010, 9:52 AM
My chore list includes either buying a new insert for my Milwaukee compound miter or making one out of wood. Thanks for the reminder to check this out this morning. I have always noticed a difference in cut quality with zero clearance on miter saws, often depending on what type of wood I'm working with. Most have an insert that can be ordered or fabricated.
Regards,
Larry R
Seattle

Bob Direso
12-23-2010, 11:00 AM
How do you deal with 45 degree miter cuts? Can a zero clearance insert be used on a 45?

Jaze Derr
12-23-2010, 11:34 AM
How do you deal with 45 degree miter cuts? Can a zero clearance insert be used on a 45?

Bob,
If your miter saw has a rotating base that includes the insert, then, yes, the zero clearance insert rides along with it. I can't say I've ever seen a miter saw that doesn't have the saw plate base that rotates along with the head.

Garrett Ellis
12-23-2010, 11:34 AM

i think it depends what axis you're talking about. if you are just rotating the blade (no tilt), then i believe the insert will rotate with the blade because the whole center section rotates, and the outer wings stay put.

but if you are tilting the blade, you may have to switch inserts depending on the angle.

intuitively you would think that the blade always enters the work surface along the same line but i'm not sure if that is the case when it comes to tilting the blade....

Jaze Derr
12-23-2010, 11:36 AM
i think it depends what axis you're talking about. if you are just rotating the blade (no tilt), then i believe the insert will rotate with the blade because the whole center section rotates, and the outer wings stay put.

but if you are tilting the blade, you may have to switch inserts depending on the angle.

intuitively you would think that the blade always enters the work surface along the same line but i'm not sure if that is the case when it comes to tilting the blade....

Whoops, didn't even think about bevel cuts at 45, if that was what Bob was asking. No, you'd need a different insert for that. But it's usually pretty easy to swap them out.

Julian Tracy
12-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Or - for a few cuts in sensitive to chipout materials, simply cut with a medium square of 1/4" on the saw table.

JT