PDA

View Full Version : A few turkey calls just finished.

Jack Mincey
12-23-2010, 6:05 AM
Here are a few turkey calls I just finished. 3 of them are all ready in the mail to customers. All have ceramic for the friction surface. Someone asked on another site how they work. You use the striker that is laying in front of them and rub the tip at an angle on the friction surface to produce sound kind of like running your finger nails down a chalk board. With practice one can control the sound produced to imitate a turkey. They are Oak burl, Osage, and rhododendron burl in purple heart.
Jack
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/IMG_2856.jpg

Tim Thiebaut
12-23-2010, 6:30 AM
Those look fantastic, and that oak burl is beautiful. I know someone posted the info before but I am not sure where it was I saw it, where do you get the slate for your calls? Good job on these, I may have to try one myself soon.

John Keeton
12-23-2010, 6:33 AM
Jack, I hate to use a pun, but those are striking!!:D

Is that some of the left over from the big oak burl? And, that rhododendron burl in purple heart is very, very nice. Not sure I recall seeing any of that before. I imagine it is somewhat scarce.

BTW, you are up and at it early this morning. Did you turn all night??:eek::confused:

Rick Robbins
12-23-2010, 7:09 AM
very nice work love Turkey call's. Rick

Jeff Nicol
12-23-2010, 7:46 AM
Jack, Nice bunch of calls, I have made a few for myself over the years and have been thinking of making more but in some sort of non-traditional style just to be different and hopes they sound good! Yours are very nice and simple beauty still sells best!

For the places to get the striking srufaces for calls there are a # of suppliers that carry everything for game calls, just do a search for game call parts and you will have a full months worth of looking! But Jack can tell you where he gets his.

Merry Christmas,

Jeff

Ken Hill
12-23-2010, 8:10 AM
Nice set of calls!

Tim, check out Brookside Game Calls or Shell Creek Game Calls for slate and Glass. I use Brookside, better pricing and good service to boot.

Ron Stadler
12-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Well, I think you did a fantastic job on all of the them, but the oak burl and osage are my favorites.

Ted Calver
12-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Beauties!! That burl is fantastick...but I like them all.

Tim Thiebaut
12-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Nice set of calls!

Tim, check out Brookside Game Calls or Shell Creek Game Calls for slate and Glass. I use Brookside, better pricing and good service to boot.

Thank you Ken!

Mark Hubl
12-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Those are beauties.

Jack Mincey
12-23-2010, 5:36 PM
Thanks everyone, John it is some scraps I had from the oak burl used in the contest set. They don't care for teachers posting on any forums at work so early and late are the only times I have to post. The rhododendron is not common but not rare either. If you look at the base of the bushes where they are on step rocky areas or swampy areas you will see a round ball shape growing into the ground on some. Only the top of the burl is above ground. I've only found one that was large enough to turn a bowl from because most have some bad rot on them. I buy my slate from Penn Big Bed Slate for around $1.40 a piece. The glass I use for my sound boards and the ceramic used in these calls was bought from a guy that goes by Stumpy. Here is his contact info. Chad Hutcheson Ph.#229-868-2877 E-mail stumpyglassman@yahoo.com
Thanks again,
Jack

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2010, 6:04 PM
Beautiful Jack. I need to make a few of those. I have been asked about them but just never have did one.

Jack Mincey
12-23-2010, 7:37 PM
Bernie,
You should get a copy of this springs issue of Wood Turning Design Magazine. It has a poorly written article in it on how to make a pot style turkey calls. It is issue #29.
Jack

Russell Eaton
12-23-2010, 8:56 PM
I made my first one a few days ago. I enjoyed it and have made several since. I may make a few this weekend. I like the style of yours, thanks for showing.

John Keeton
12-23-2010, 9:02 PM
Bernie,
You should get a copy of this springs issue of Wood Turning Design Magazine. It has a poorly written article in it on how to make a pot style turkey calls. It is issue #29.
JackNot poorly written at all!! Jack, I just received my issue today, and you wrote an excellent article. One might conclude you were involved in the education field!:D;)

Congrats on getting published!

Steve Schlumpf
12-23-2010, 9:32 PM
Very nice work Jack - as I have come to expect! Really like the Oak burl! Sure have gotten some mileage out of that wood!

Congrats on getting published! Will have to be sure to pick up a copy of the magazine!

brian watts
12-24-2010, 12:10 AM
very nice as all ways. the OAK is sweet