PDA

View Full Version : Plywood cut list

Justin Jones RDH
12-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Does anyone have a link or a picture of how sheet goods are typically broken down to make standard size cabinets? I know there are programs out there that can do it but I dont know if I want to invest in that. Thoughts?
Best Regards,
Justin

craig greene
12-23-2010, 12:25 AM
Look for a free program called "Cut List" and download it. It can be found on a web site called Delphiforfun. You may have to look around a bit but it is there and it is free. A little old and will require a small learning curve, but it works, and did I mention, it's free.

Don Selke
12-23-2010, 12:40 AM
You may want to try Cutlist Plus, it is not a free program but it is well worth the expenditure. I may be wrong, but they may have a trial version available.

Randy Davidson
12-23-2010, 6:33 AM
+3 on cutlist. Great program.

David Thompson 27577
12-23-2010, 6:50 AM
+4 Cutlist, and Cutlist Plus are great for the purpose. It's been a while since I investigated the difference between the two -- I'm thinking that the "Plus" version allows a lot more parts for any one project. I paid for the Plus version. At the time, I was building a 23-foot run of base and upper cabinets.

Lee Schierer
12-23-2010, 7:55 AM
You can also get a free copy of Sheetlayout (http://www.sheetlayout.com/downloads) that will do sheet goods and lineal materials. Their pay versions have more features and allow larger quantities of parts to be determined.

Erik Christensen
12-23-2010, 1:26 PM
go for cutlist plus - will save you $$ on your first big project. you can minimize waste and maximize use of expensive sheet goods and solid stock

i use the silver version - less than the cost of 2 sheets of baltic birch

Justin Jones RDH
12-24-2010, 5:54 PM
Sounds good guys- Ill look into this. Thanks

Eric Getchell
12-29-2010, 8:20 AM
I'm not sure if you use Google Sketchup to do your project design, but there is a free Cutlist plugin for Sketchup, that uses your model directly to determine the cut layout. I'm a huge fan of Sketchup, but have not tried this plugin yet, so can't comment on the ease of use. I do plan on trying this plugin for my next project (built-in wall to wall bookshelves with a enclosed media center) to see how it works out.

The overview, along with the download link, can be found here:
http://lumberjocks.com/daltxguy/blog/5143

Troy Turner
12-29-2010, 9:20 AM
Justin -

I used the free version of Cutlist. You're just limited to the number of parts you can have (5 or 10) if I remember. Broke down and paid for the Plus version when I did a piece that had 20+ pieces. Go for it...you won't be disappointed.

Jim Summers
12-29-2010, 9:39 AM
Hello All,

It looks like CutList and SheetLayout are for Windows platforms only. Does anyone know of one for OSX / Mac? I saw where there is a plugin for Sketchup from CutList but that would be overkill for me.

TIA