PDA

View Full Version : Feed-N-Wax

Curt Fuller
12-22-2010, 11:26 PM
This may be old stuff to some of you, but I've recently started using this stuff http://www.howardproducts.com/feednwax.htm on some cutting boards and bowls that are intended for food use. I really like how it works. But I'm curious as to how it looks after a while. Have any of you used it? How does it hold up?

Brent Grooms
12-23-2010, 4:57 AM
I used and supplied a bottle of the butcher block conditioner with my bowls and spatulas that I gave as christmas presents. I am guessing the only difference is the use of some orange oil between what I used and what you are asking about. I added a little note to the gifts that said... if it looks dry, its time to re-coat. I am hoping that the addition of bees wax and caranuba will increase the time between applications (that is determined by use and washing) with just straight mineral oil... 3-5 washings and it could use it again... 10 washings.. definatly needs re-coated.

dan carter
12-23-2010, 9:54 AM
Very good product. Use it often. Howard's products work well. I don't notice that it holds up any better than my home brew on cutting boards.

Mark Hubl
12-23-2010, 11:40 AM
I have not used it, but I did notice it in the local Borg the other day.

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2010, 3:33 PM
Haven't used it Curt but would be interested to know how it holds up. It does say it needs applied every month. Keep us up to date.

Steve Schlumpf
12-23-2010, 3:52 PM
First I've heard of this finish. Let us know how well you like it! Right now - I finish everything with poly - but I may want to turn something useful one of these days and will need a different finish!

Dale Bright
12-23-2010, 5:27 PM
I have used the stuff. The orange oil sure makes the shop smell good when applying it. It is pretty much like any other oil and bee's wax mixture, except I get a bit more lustre from my on mix of walnut oil and bee's wax, but that is becuase it is harder, more wax.

Dale

Kevin Begos
12-24-2010, 10:39 AM
I started using it about 6 months ago, and am very happy with the results. Seems to hold up well. Have also used a mixture of 1/3 FeednWax, 1/3 BLO, and 1/3 varnish that I like.