PDA

View Full Version : Which piece of equipment did you spend the most on?

Mike Cruz
12-22-2010, 11:07 PM
Doing what I should have done long ago, I waded through my shop...appraising my equipment. Listing what I paid for each, what my bottom line would be if I had to sell them, and what I would want to get for them. For instance, my DJ20 jointer: Paid $400, but a Byrd head on it for $300, and a mobile base for about $100. So, I PAID $800, could easily get $900 to $1000 for it, but could probably get $1200 from the right buyer.

This, after going through my entire shop, made me realize which machine I had the most "in". And I was kinda surprised. I wouldn't have thought it before I started buying equipment. For me, it is my lathe. A 1981 PM90. Now I bought it for $300. 3 phase converter $145; poteniometer, reverse switch, and box for those two things $50; digital tach $100; risers (to make it an 18"er) and other stuff (not including tools for it) $350; paint and refinishing materials $50.

So, for me, it is my lathe at $1000.

New or used, what is yours? You don't have to say how much you have "in"...

EDIT: Sorry, I could only list 10 options.

Frank Drew
12-23-2010, 12:04 AM
My table saw, by a good bit, but not only was it a doozy, it was one of the few machines I bought new (the other one being a horizontal slot mortiser.)

I'm more than a bit surprised to see dust collector coming in at #2, although I guess that could change with more votes.

Mike Cruz
12-23-2010, 12:13 AM
I would be interested to see which piece fell into the "other" catagory. I meant to add it in my post that if you vote "other", please specify...

Thanks all for participating.

Norman Hitt
12-23-2010, 12:17 AM
My three most expensive tools thus far, in descending order (all bought new), were "OTHER".....Minimax FS-350 jointer/planer with Horizontal Slot Mortiser, MM20 Bandsaw with 1" Lenox Trimaster & other blades, PM-66 Tablesaw W/Biesemeyer Commercial Fence.

Rick Fisher
12-23-2010, 1:57 AM
I voted for Dust Collector, but sales tax was the deciding factor..

I believe that the Dust collector is the most used machine in the shop. Irregardless of what your doing, its likely chugging away in the back ground.. If I include all the pipe and blast gates, its hands down the most expensive machine I have ..

The DC is a Felder RL-160 which I bought new..

Secondary would be a Laguna / Griggio 12" Jointer which I bought as a demo unit.. and an SCM Sandya Win Wide Belt sander which I bought used.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
12-23-2010, 2:21 AM
I voted tablesaw, but actually, it was a MM CU300. Sooooo. . . it was a 12" tablesaw, 12" jointer/planer and a shaper (I didn't buy the equip for the horizontal mortiser, but can add if I ever feel the need). Next most expensive was the E16 bandsaw purchased with it.

Paul McGaha
12-23-2010, 5:13 AM
I voted for dust colllector. The machine itself isnt the most expensive tool I've purchased but the complete system would be.

PHM

Rich Engelhardt
12-23-2010, 5:39 AM
I voted "Other".
I'm into my Festool TS55EQ for about $850 with the three rails I also bought.
That's actually a tie w/my compressor (when you add up all the nail guns that go with it).

My table saw - a Ridgid TS3660 - was one of the lesser expensive tems - all things considered.
My actual out of pocket cost was around $288.00 for it brand new.
I used a Home Depot rewards credit card for a year and accumulated points that I could cash in for gift cards & waited for a $100.00 off sale that HD used to run on a regular basis and that brought the price way down.

Dan Hintz
12-23-2010, 5:47 AM
Bandsaw and wood lathe cost the same... I voted for bandsaw.

Brian Penning
12-23-2010, 5:56 AM
Easy...Industrial Sawstop

Peter Quinn
12-23-2010, 6:11 AM
Well, the table saw and drum sander were within a few pennies, so I voted sander as it was a lonely category. If tooling were included than my used Minimax shaper would have won, and if replacement cost was the criteria, the Minimax shaper and 20" Meber BS I believe would be neck in neck for the lead.

Kent A Bathurst
12-23-2010, 8:27 AM
3 hp Unisaw. But - I am including in my thinking 4 Forrest blades, Forrest Dado, 52" Biese, Incra, tenoning jig, 8 - 10 ZCI, plus Lord knows what other accessories are laying around here................

Mike Cruz
12-23-2010, 9:09 AM
Interesting that, so far, Band Saw is in second, no one said Drill Press, and only one person said Surfacer/Sander. Granted, Drill Presses aren't the most expense tools, but that doesn't mean that that isn't where someone decided to buy new where everything else was used, for example. Also, Surfacers aren't cheap, and with only one vote (and that was a pity vote) makes me scratch my head.

For all you turners... Should I start a new poll asking all those that voted TS..."How many of you can see the surface of your TS?" :D

Curt Harms
12-23-2010, 9:26 AM
Voted other--Jet jointer/Planer-by quite a margin.

Stephen Cherry
12-23-2010, 9:27 AM
Table saw, felder k975 for 3400 spacebucks, plus a 900 dollar upgrade from felder. Lot's of things become very easy. Everything else I have was relatively cheap.

Matt Day
12-23-2010, 10:24 AM
I got my TS and lathe used, so the jointer I bought new just eaked out the cost of the lathe.

Dan Hintz
12-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Even at "full price", my drill press was significantly cheaper at $830 than the on-sale bandsaw or lathe at $1,600...

Mark Bolton
12-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Having a slider in the shop, especially if it were bought new, pretty much puts the rest of the list to shame perhaps other than as Peter said a shaper if you include the tooling. Maybe a widebelt.

I have read this over a couple times and find myself asking what would ever motivate someone to inventory the shop based on what they paid and what they could sell items for if they "had to"? I could see it being interesting if you made a lot of improvements or modified your tools a lot or perhaps for some sort of insurance/bank appraisal/hobby purposes that I am missing but I guess I am just wondering what the point is? I guess maybe I dont look at my tools as an investment for resale, they are part of the business to make money and about the best thing that could happen would be to sell them as scrap metal because they are worn out from making me $$$$ throughout the year. Of course if I were going belly up but then the vultures would be picking at my bones so what I "could" get will be pointless.

Not trying to be a party pooper or anything.

Forgot, the slider made our vote TS.
Mark

Don Bullock
12-23-2010, 11:19 AM
I spent the most on a Table saw because I bought a SawStop ICS several years ago when it was the only model they had. Would I do it again? Yep!

David Nelson1
12-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Jet 14PRO band saw. Everything else I got used or was less than 200.00 new. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL

Chris Nolin
12-23-2010, 11:26 AM
My "other" is also my most recent, a MiniMax FS41 jointer/planer.

Roger Jensen
12-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Other - My Hammer A3-31 J/P.

Rod Sheridan
12-23-2010, 11:33 AM
I voted "other"

In order of cost from most to least;

1) Hammer B3 Winner saw/shaper

2) Hammer A3-31 jointer planer

3) Oneida cyclone.

Regards, Rod.

Matt Kestenbaum
12-23-2010, 11:51 AM
New Saw Stop 3HP PCS with 52rail/table...add on the mobile base, dado brake, extra std. brake, zci, dado set, rip blade, 40T combo, dust fittings, delivery...easily the most expensive single tool I have purchased. Next is actually the workbench (yes its a tool)--built in a 6 day class, so tuition and materials combined were just shy of $2K. 8" jointer a distant 3rd place.

Stephen Cherry
12-23-2010, 12:19 PM
I have read this over a couple times and find myself asking what would ever motivate someone to inventory the shop based on what they paid and what they could sell items for if they "had to"? I could see it being interesting if you made a lot of improvements or modified your tools a lot or perhaps for some sort of insurance/bank appraisal/hobby purposes that I am missing but I guess I am just wondering what the point is? I guess maybe I dont look at my tools as an investment for resale, they are part of the business to make money and about the best thing that could happen would be to sell them as scrap metal because they are worn out from making me $$$$ throughout the year. Of course if I were going belly up but then the vultures would be picking at my bones so what I "could" get will be pointless.

Not trying to be a party pooper or anything.

Mark- it's a discussion forum, and any reasonably polite discussion is just that. We've all seen party pooping on lots of forums.

I think as a professional you look at things differently- return on investment. I'm a hobbyist with a day job who would like to be a niche market professional. I want to try to supply things to people which are generally not commercially available. It's mostly for fun. I try to buy tools with the thought that if I change interests, or my plans don't work out, I won't completely loose my shirt. So I buy based on comparison of price to other used machines available, rather than return on investment.

glenn bradley
12-23-2010, 12:37 PM
I spent the most on my planer. I could have said bandsaw. After buying the larger bandsaw I sold my smaller one right away. Then, of course, I had to replace it ;-)

Jerome Stanek
12-23-2010, 12:47 PM
I paid about $12,000 for my Shopbot. My old one was about $5,000 used. I have made money with both of them. I am thinking of selling my old bot but I think I will wait till spring when the weather is better to move it out front in my shop.

Mark Bolton
12-23-2010, 12:51 PM
I try to buy tools with the thought that if I change interests, or my plans don't work out, I won't completely loose my shirt.

Well that answers my wonderment. As you say just different perspectives. No so much business related, just in general. For instance, I am an astronomy junkie. At one point I likely had twenty thousand dollars or better invested in the "just for fun" but I cant recall a time in my observatory wondering what I could sell my stuff for when or if I choose to get out of the hobby. Just saying, for me personally I guess its not something that ever crossed my mind until I decided to scale back or bail out which was why I didnt understand the point of the question. For me I dont know that I would ever have spent 20K on something that I thought I would change my mind on but thats just me.

I have never been even remotely close to flush with money but I guess I never really think about what I could sell my stuff, hobby or otherwise, for because if I sell it for a dollar it provided me the enjoyment of my hobby all those years. Anything $1.01 or above is just a bonus.

No offense intended,
Mark

fred marcuson
12-23-2010, 12:56 PM
:eek:
the one i've used the least ...sander :(

Ben Hatcher
12-23-2010, 1:16 PM
...I cant recall a time ... wondering what I could sell my stuff for when or if I choose to get out of the hobby. ...

I have never been even remotely close to flush with money but I guess I never really think about what I could sell my stuff, hobby or otherwise, for because if I sell it for a dollar it provided me the enjoyment of my hobby all those years. Anything $1.01 or above is just a bonus.

Mark
I think it is an important part of estate planning to inventory your shop. I think a significant percentage of the gloats you read on here are because the sellers, often an ex or a widow, had no idea how much the tool was worth.

I agree that the money I've spent on my hobby has given me more than that amount in pleasure. But it also gives me pleasure to know that with the knowledge of what I paid and what it the stuff is worth, when I die, whoever inherits my tools will also get the maximum benefit from them. My grandfather, a cabinetmaker, died a few years before we had internet access. We had no idea how much his tools were worth. His shaper, with over 200 profiles, sold at auction for $175. Had we known how much he paid for it, and how much it was currently worth, we wouldn't have included it in the estate sale.

Erik Christensen
12-23-2010, 1:18 PM
shaper by a mile - powermatic PM2700 5HP with 4 wheel feeder.... then add tooling that is more than the shaper & feeder :)

my favorite tool - does things I still can't believe, safely, smoothly, reliably with a quality that I find amazing. unlike jointers or table saws this takes zero skill to use - all the work is in the initial setup and test cuts, after that you just throw wood through it and marvel at the output

George Heatherly
12-23-2010, 1:21 PM
I voted for the lathe, even without accessories it cost 3 times as much as my next most expensive tool.

Mike Cruz
12-23-2010, 1:25 PM
Mark, first of all, while I used to do wwing for money, it is now a hobby. So, my shop is a guilty pleasure.

The reason for inventorying my shop was sparked by two threads here on the Creek. The first being related to making sure you have everything in your shop listed and valued in case of fire/disaster (aka insurance). The second was a thread about spouses of wwers that have no idea what their wwing spouses' tools/equipment are worth in case the wwer is suddenly, let's just say, not around anymore. That is why I did the inventory.

The reason for the breakdown of what was paid, what is my short sale price, and what would I WANT for them is because I, unlike some here, don't have $20,000 to throw at tools that IF I needed to sell them (because of hard times, bad health, lack of time, or disinterest...the last one is quite unlikey...) that I could take a large loss on.

I could have spent $15K buying the stuff that I have in my shop new. If I had to sell them, I might get $5-8K. Instead, I got them all used for great prices and spent about $4K. While I love my hobby, I know that what I've purchased is not money lost in the time of need....which I hope never happens.

I am envious of you and others that can not only drop $2-3-10K on a single machine, but are also not concerned about its value if you needed to liquidate.

I hope that sheds some light on the origins of this thread.

James Baker SD
12-23-2010, 1:39 PM
I was an early voter, but a late poster. I voted DC, it is a top of line Oneida with quick fit ducting. Easily the most expensive thing in the shop. My lung doctor ordered me to get the best DC I could find or get a new hobby. Maybe I should have gone Neander instead?

Mike Heidrick
12-23-2010, 1:47 PM
Easy...Industrial Sawstop

Same here. It may not be worth the most but I just got deals on everything else.

John Deere 3320 wins though really but it just moves wood from the trailer to the shop and is not a woodworking tool I guess.

Mark Bolton
12-23-2010, 2:35 PM
I am envious of you and others that can not only drop $2-3-10K on a single machine, but are also not concerned about its value if you needed to liquidate.

I hope that sheds some light on the origins of this thread.

As I mentioned I understood the insurance/financial aspect of it which would blanket the spouse issue in the event of tragedy. I don't in any way mean to say I dont care about the value if there is a need to liquidate but unfortunately those events, at least in my experience, are never a time when we can expect to capitalize. This doesnt of course mean to just forget about it and be willing to settle for ten cents on the dollar. My personal situation is a little convenient in that my wife is in the business and knows what all costs are/were and if there is any question can pull open a file cabinet and pull an invoice. This doesnt work well for modifications/upgrades in some instances but...

We are going through this with a family member as we speak. A death in the family, heirs need cash, but this is a time when its a given liquidating virtually any assets will leave you let down. Holidays, economy is in the ditch, winter, etc.. Just had the conversation with my wife that what the items may be worth, or what was paid for them is void. If they need the money they take what they can get and they are only worth what you can get for them at the moment.

What I, maybe mistakenly, read into some of it was an anticipation of what one could get "when" they change hobbies like its only temporary. While it doesnt make sense to me, is actually logical if you think you may. If I had that in the back of my head I would likely have a pile of wood on the porch, a pocket knife, a box of bandaids, gauze, and tape, and keep my investment minimal. But thats just me.

I completely understand the concept of knowing what you have for estate/planning purposes I guess I just cant get my head around the concept of anticipating selling things and your anticipated profit margin in the context of a hobby. If I were buying and selling equipment (which many here do I am sure) for profit or as a way to leapfrog to better and better equipment thats different but I didnt get that.

Maybe I'm just tired,
Mark

Will Overton
12-23-2010, 3:06 PM
Since last fall it's my tablesaw. Prior to the new tablesaw it was my bandsaw.

Larry Fox
12-23-2010, 3:24 PM
I voted "other" and my other is my finishing setup. I take a holistic view of my finishing setup and include;

- gun
- pressure pot
- hoses
- maintenance items
- compressor
- hard piping
- water traps / filters
- safety gear

I think all-told that I have about $1,800 wrapped up in it and have not regretted the expenditure for a single nanosecond.

Paul Cahill
12-23-2010, 4:37 PM
It was a toss up between the dust collector, including all the ducting etc. and the table saw. However, considering the time I spent putting the ducting together, and then redoing it because I hadn't done sufficient homework first, I gave the nod to the dust collector.

Greg Portland
12-23-2010, 4:53 PM
Other: Woodmaster 4-in-1 machine.

If I count duct-work + DC then the dust collector would be the most expensive.

John Fabre
12-23-2010, 5:26 PM
Oneway lathe by a long shot, the Tormek, chucks, jaw sets and turning tools alone are worth more than my Powermatic table saw w/slider.

Mike Cruz
12-23-2010, 6:04 PM
Mike, you hit the nail on the head. I wasn't asking which had the highest value, but rather which did you actually spend the most on. My Uni was probably the most expensive, but I got it (plus a boat load of other stuff at the same time, from the same guy) for a measly $300. Bottom line, I didn't have $1200-1500 to spend on a Uni in that condition. Therefore, didn't pay for it. But I DID buy a PM90 for cheap ($300) and fix 'er all up to a total of $1000...which means the lathe is what I spent the most amount of money on.

Russell Smallwood
12-23-2010, 6:06 PM
... I cant recall a time in my observatory wondering what I could sell my stuff for when or if I choose to get out of the hobby.

I think that there are a lot of hobbiests (sp?) to whom the machines are just as interesting as the woodworking and, as a result, spend a lot of time flip-flopping machinery in their shop in an effort to be able to learn more about them. Not pointing to anyone in particular just a general observation.

Personally, while this is not necessarily my cup of tea, I thinks its great. For most, it is a hobby, it's supposed to give you enjoyment. If you get just as much pleasure working with the machines as you do working with the wood then that's great.

As a result, there are a lot of machinery discussions here that end up having more to do with machines than woodworking. It's a discussion board, that's what is supposed to happen, people discuss things.

I certainly understand that, for you, equipment is a necessary evil or simply a means to an end. Cool, more power to you, and while I'm absolutely certain your comments were not intended to offend anyone, they did come across as though you were being a bit judgmental which I don't think was your intent.

edit: almost forgot, I chose planer, but taken as a whole, my hand tools are where a lot of my shop money has gone :)

Mike Cruz
12-23-2010, 6:12 PM
You know, James, if I had thought about this juuuuuuust a little more, I would have said that whichever you vote for, include the "attachments". So, that would have included ductwork for DC's. But it also would have included blades and dados and tennoning jigs and crosscut sleds, etc for tablesaws, it also would have included cutting tools for lathes, which, unfortunately might have swung this whole thing in another direction. Your $1000 lathe might be dwarfed by all the tools and chucks you bought for it. So, I kinda was limiting it to the tool itself because the extras could easily be used on another machine. For example: Your ducting could be used with another brand of DC, whether cyclone or not. But, I do understand that the ducting is almost as much a part of the dust collection as collector itself, and if you went with metal over PVC, that is a huge upgrade in price right there...so I understand if you factored that in. This really isn't some sort of scientific experiment...more just a curiousity. Thanks for piping in.

Bill Miltner
12-23-2010, 8:16 PM
My Other purchase was an INCA 570 Jointer/Planer. I purchased it new for a little over $1,700 in 1994. I still have it and love it. It is quiet and gives me 10+ inches of jointing capacity.

Mark Bolton
12-23-2010, 8:19 PM
I certainly understand that, for you, equipment is a necessary evil or simply a means to an end. Cool, more power to you, and while I'm absolutely certain your comments were not intended to offend anyone, they did come across as though you were being a bit judgmental which I don't think was your intent.

Thanks, Didnt mean for the post to sound judgmental it was just that other than for insurance I really had no idea why you would take an accounting of such things. I dont mean to sound like property value is not important, I am a tool junkie just like the rest of them, and I value my tools.

I can understand fully having many, or changing hobbies, but it would seem to me after getting a few thousand dollars in you had better be fairly firmly planted. Accidents and misfortune are around every corner but there is really not a lot I can do about that. With my luck, and most I have known, the tool market will be at a record low the day I need to unload so I really dont worry about it.

Mark

Joe A Faulkner
12-23-2010, 8:24 PM
Dewalt, 12 inch sliding compount miter saw. Only one of two power tools in the shop that I bought new. The other was a lunch box planer - Dewalt's 12 inch version..

Jim Rimmer
12-23-2010, 8:46 PM
I voted tablesaw but bandsaw was about the same. I bought these two new in the last two years. With attachments (blades, dadoes, Incra miter, etc) the table saw is still out front. Blades for BS are cheaper than TS and I bought an upgrade so I got the resaw fence. Either would be a good #1 vote but I haven't got a DC yet.

Mike Cruz
12-23-2010, 10:20 PM
Joe, you are another perfect example of my intended meaning of this thread...just because what you spent the most on doesn't make it the biggest or highest "valued" piece in the shop. You just happened to get it new. With tax, my Dewalt miter saw cost more than my Uni, but the question wasn't which one is a more expensive machine, rather which one did I pay more for. Ya know, miter saw was originally one of the 10 options, but I had to drop one of them for "other"...and you ended up falling into that one!

Jim O'Dell
12-23-2010, 11:17 PM
I didn't vote because I have 3 that are within about 50.00 of each other. Of the 3, the new TS is probably the lowest since I got it at a killer deal. The bandsaw was 995.00 + tax and shipping, and the cyclone with all the ducting was right in there too. Of the 3, the BS had the highest normal price if that makes a difference. Jim.

Mike Cruz
12-23-2010, 11:30 PM
No, Jim, no! That doesn't make a difference. The question is which one did you spend the most on. If you got a $3000 dust collector for $100 (awesome deal, eh?) then the $1000 TS wins out. So, go ahead-n-vote!

Mark Eisen
12-24-2010, 1:16 AM
Vicmarc VL300 Both the most used and the most expensive.:D:D:D

Rick Potter
12-24-2010, 3:43 AM
You know, I never thought of the DC when I answered the post. In my case it didn't matter, but it is the second most expensive tool I bought.

1. Felder table saw/shaper....bought during my brief 'wealthy period'.
2. Onieda 3 HP gorilla....bought after getting tired of a series of ever larger bag units. Includes ductwork and gates.
3. Woodmaster 36" drum sander.

Paul Canaris
12-24-2010, 5:25 AM
In order:
1. Sliding panel saw; 9' stroke
2. Planer 24 inch
3. Jointer 16"
4. Slot Mortiser
5. Drill press
6. Hollow chisel Mortiser.

Kirk Poore
12-24-2010, 10:16 AM
My Oliver 399 planer was $900, and I spent another $600 on bearings, knives, and electrical. So $1500, which is still probably only 1/8th the price of a new equivalent machine.

Kirk

Mike Cruz
12-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Well, with 246 votes in, it is no surprise (to me) that the TS is leader by a large margin at almost 50%. I have to admit that I am almost surprised at the BS coming in second. Then the Lathe. With DC, Planer and Other coming in just about a 3 way tie. I did notice, however, that some put other when they had a Planer/Jointer. Which I suppose wasn't an option. I wish I could have had about 15 or so options so it would have been a little more accurate. I really figured that DP wouldn't be a high scorer, but since it is such a big part of just about any shop, I didn't want to not include it. I have to say, that I thought the Planer and Surfacer/Sander would have been higher up there. I would have guessed DC to be second...with all the cyclones out there. But I have a feeling that many that bought high dollar cyclones also bought some Felder or SS that trumped it.

Anyway, thanks all, for participating. By all means, no need to stop now. Feel free to keep voting and adding comments. Just wanted to say thanks...

Jim Becker
12-24-2010, 12:43 PM
My slider was the largest financial investment for a single tool.

Ray Newman
12-24-2010, 1:50 PM
Even though I bought it at a good discount back in 1988, my 3 hp Uni-saw with low voltage controls, Uni-fence, and Uni-Guard set me back more than I wanted to spend, but I've never regretted spending the money.

Mike Cruz
12-26-2010, 5:52 PM
WOW, 272 votes! I really didn't expect it. Makes me wonder what the most number of votes to a poll was. I have a feeling it was a lot more, but I'm curious none the less...

Mark Bolton
12-26-2010, 6:53 PM
Would have to be a way to find out no? Perhaps ask one of the mods or in the tech support? Pretty impressive turnout none the less.

Mark

Karl Brogger
12-26-2010, 7:27 PM
Shaper. If you combine all the cutters, coping sled and/or powerfeed.

After that it'd be the widebelt.

Dennis Ford
12-27-2010, 7:54 AM
I voted "Dust Collector", my table saw is a very old saw that cost more time than money. I have a nice lathe and large bandsaw but both are home-made so they also cost more time than money. Also have a home-made small CNC router. The dust collector was the most expensive only in terms of $.

Paul Greathouse
12-27-2010, 9:09 AM
Dust collection (Oneida) and ducting for now but when I get the tablesaw I want, it will probably win out.

Jim Finn
12-27-2010, 9:28 AM
Mine is in the "Other " catagory: My $2450 Hegner polymax scroll saw....................
This is the tool I use the most also.

Jon Endres
12-27-2010, 9:29 AM
If you include all the accessories, my table saw. I bought my late-90's vintage Unisaw new in the crate in 2004, for $800; put at least another $800 into fence (Mule Accusquare), blades (mostly Freud) and a mobile base. My Powermatic 180 planer comes in a distant second, as I paid $750 for it but added another $130 set of knives. The Grizzly G0500 jointer is third at about $750, but I've added two sets of knives and a mobile base. Everything else was under $500. I have no interest in 'upgrading' anything I have, except maybe putting Byrd spiral heads on the jointer and planer, and maybe a cyclone DC to replace the Shop Fox 2-bagger.

Mike Cruz
12-27-2010, 10:57 AM
We hit the big 300!!!

Chip Lindley
12-27-2010, 12:16 PM
I had to vote "other" because three of my major machines cost within dollars of each other. All were exceptional bargains, costing 1/2 or 1/3 of New! But, still Big Ticket items to me!

For decades, the Rockwell RC33 planer, bought barely used in 1985 was my biggie at $900. It has certainly earned it's keep in over 20 years of constant use. That old planer is bullet-proof!

But, within the past 3 years I've gone on a spending spree! The Woodmaster 3820 double drum sander is my biggie at $1200. Powermatic 66 TS with Exaktor slider and overarm blade guard, $1175. Oneida 3hp DC with miles of ducting, gates, and Long Ranger remote, $1100.

The DC is the most used "machine" in the shop. It runs when any other operation produces dust and chips. Milling rough lumber into something finished takes what several machines do best. They all earn their keep. Even the 4 working shapers with power feeds. Shapers are my weakness and my blessing. I have a total of seven that cost me less than any two of the above big ones together.

I've been very blessed to find good machinery at paltry prices. I have not bought new machines since my Craftsman Days of the '70s. If I had to buy new now, I would have either many less machines, or much less quality in the shop!

Happy New Year!!
~Chip~

Mike Cruz
12-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Chip, not quite sure I understand. If your sander is your biggie at $1200, why didn't you vote sander?

Todd Crawford
12-27-2010, 3:07 PM
The only big money item I've bought new was my planer, so that won out for me. Spent $400 on it. My bandsaw was bought off a guy that used it for one job for $200, and my recently aquired first table saw was a heck of a deal at "come pick it or I'm throwing it away." My small drill press was a Christmas gift from the in-laws a couple of years ago, so I guess when I really think about it, I'm doing pretty good with out of pocket expenses. Thanks for making me thin about this, maybe now I can justify the purchase of a couple of toys!

Steve Rozmiarek
12-27-2010, 4:34 PM
I voted other too. The Felder CF 741, sliding table saw, shaper, jointer, planer combo wins pretty easily in my shop.

Chip Lindley
12-27-2010, 5:12 PM
Chip, not quite sure I understand. If your sander is your biggie at $1200, why didn't you vote sander?

Mike, in order to explain, I have to remember my thought processes in the A.M. today. Lemme see...my three biggies were within $100 of each other. I feel they are all equally BIG! At least for me. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...

Mike Cruz
12-27-2010, 5:56 PM
Fair enough, Chip. Didn't mean to hound you. Sorry.

James Boster
12-27-2010, 9:01 PM
I spent the most on my Oliver #66 lathe. Not really a gloat but still got it for quite a bit less than $1 per pound, but then it weighs 6,000#.

Aaron Berk
12-27-2010, 9:39 PM
TS bought new, GO605X

I haven't jumped into the cyclone market yet, but I imagine it could get costly.

And I've been itching for a brand new shinny BS

So is there a poll for future spenders?
I'm in transition from hobby shop, to professional shop. I'm about to go in deep.

Mike Cruz
12-28-2010, 8:27 AM
358 votes! Holy Cow! And here I thought we were done about 100 votes ago. Glad to see the turners started voicing. This puts the order at TS, Lathe, BS, Other. Wish I had had more options to include jointer/planer combos and such that filled the "other" catagory. Would have been nice to get an accurate count of what the Others are. Maybe when this seems done, and I have spare time, I'll read through all the posts to see if I can figure out what the majority of Others were...

Also glad to see that DP got another vote. No longer a lonely catagory...

Dan Hintz
12-28-2010, 9:43 AM
Mike,

After my recent revelation that I paid less for my bandsaw than I originally remembered (found the receipt), I think my lathes go above the saw in price.

Mike Cutler
12-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Mike

My Steel City D/D sander was the most expensive.

Jim Mattheiss
12-28-2010, 5:55 PM
The bandsaw gets my vote because it was bought new, whereas my tablesaw and lathe were was bought used on CL.

If I get a real dust collector (cyclone w/filters) it would easily be the most expensive piece in the shop.

Just a hobbyist

Jim

John TenEyck
12-28-2010, 8:11 PM
Late in the game here. I'm proud to say I have never bought a new stationary machine. My Inca planer was the most expensive piece of equipment, for which I paid about $950. Seemed like a lot of money 25 years ago, but it has been a faithful performer all these years. The next most expensive was my Delta 1836 drum sander at $450. From there, nothing above $300. The free Unisaw and 14" wood/metal Delta bandsaw were very good buys.

Mike Cruz
12-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Holy Batvotes! We crested 400 votes!!!! 406 to be exact at this point. And here are the stats. I don't think the order has changed since the last time I checked in. TS, Lathe, BS, Planer, Other, DC...

Band Saw______38 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=449) 9.36%
Dust Collector__ 26 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=449) 6.40%
Drill Press______ 2 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=449) 0.49%
Jointer________ 19 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=449) 4.68%
Lathe_________ 58 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=449) 14.29%
Planer _________31 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=449) 7.64%
Sander/Surfacer_ 15 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=449) 3.69%
Shaper_________ 5 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=449) 1.23%
Table Saw_____ 184 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=449) 45.32%
Other__________ 28 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=449) 6.90%

Jonathan Spool
12-29-2010, 11:26 PM
Stubby Lathe, MM24, Sawstop, in that order

Steve knight
12-30-2010, 12:56 AM
you guys are cheap. another shopbot I think it as 18k and I just upgraded the software for 1500.00 but it has paid for it's self quite a few times.

Dan Hintz
12-30-2010, 6:53 AM
Even if Mike had included CNC in the list (I suppose "Other" counts), I still couldn't list it as number one ;)

Keith Starosta
12-30-2010, 7:07 AM
The Grizzly jointer is definitely at the top of my list. One of the reasons for that is that I actually inherited the vast majority of the tools currently in my shop. My Dad was more than an avid woodworker, and didn't buy low-quality tools. One day, I'll have to replace my Powermatic 64A TS, but that's way down the road. So, for now, I shelled out the most coin for my G0490X.

- Keith

Brian Kincaid
12-30-2010, 10:40 AM
I put dust collector because if bought new it would have easily cost more than anything else.
-Brian

Van Huskey
12-30-2010, 1:52 PM
5 or so years ago I would have thought it strange to spend more on a machine than a cabinet saw (new). But, in the last year my 2 machine purchases a bandsaw and drum sander (both used) were each more than my PM2000 was new... I still find it hard to spend more on a machine than the "heart of my shop" but it is getting easier.

Jim Tobias
12-30-2010, 4:49 PM
1st place goes to Oneida dust collection system... worth every penny.
2nd place - the Woodmaster drum sander Model 3875. PM66 was a close 3rd.

Jim

Rick Markham
12-30-2010, 8:03 PM
My Lathe, weighs in at the highest cost, it was a third more than my Laguna Bandsaw cost me new,:eek: which is a close second. Although recently the tablesaw has become an expensive tool/turning holder for all my lathe work recently LOL. It's ok, I will get back to the flatwork, just as soon as I pull myself from the vortex, Yeah right!:rolleyes:

Van Huskey
12-30-2010, 9:16 PM
My Lathe, weighs in at the highest cost, it was a third more than my Laguna Bandsaw cost me new,:eek: which is a close second. Although recently the tablesaw has become an expensive tool/turning holder for all my lathe work recently LOL. It's ok, I will get back to the flatwork, just as soon as I pull myself from the vortex, Yeah right!:rolleyes:

From the outside looking in turning seems more like a black hole, I don't even see photons escaping!

Greg Bender
12-30-2010, 11:17 PM
I figured we would go for 500 votes.My lathe was the most expensive outright purchase.Got my unisaw off of CL for a really good price and my jointer,bandsaw and planer go back far enough that they were cheap purchases compared to now. As I upgrade now i"m leaning more towards used older machinery that seems to give the Energizer Bunny a run for the money.
Come on Mike, we can make 500 no problem.
Greg

johnny means
12-31-2010, 1:17 AM
I voted other for my Felder J/P used for $5500. 20" with digidrive, barely used, it actually was a real steal.

Michael Gaynes
12-31-2010, 1:45 AM
I have to vote for the Worksharp 3000. Sure, the tool is only $62, but after all the excitement this week I may have to replace my worn out computer...

John Sanford
12-31-2010, 2:20 AM
Based on purchase price sans accessories, it's my Powermatic PM64 6" jointer, American made, bought used for $400.

Next was my Delta Contractor's Saw (base model, American made) bought new at just under $400, but adding the accessories (Incra TS-II, router table, EZ Off, Uni-Guard, mobile base, etc...) pushes it hard to the top. Aside from a pair of push pads, the only accessory the Jointer has is a mobile base.

Or it could be my Lie-Nielsen Scrub Plane. The plane itself wasn't too expensive, but the 6 weeks on the motorcycle to get to their place in Maine cost a bundle. :eek:

As did the tortuous ride back....

Too bad I couldn't have claimed it as a business expense.

:D

Rick Markham
12-31-2010, 5:24 AM
From the outside looking in turning seems more like a black hole, I don't even see photons escaping!

But it is an amazing black hole! I can't even describe how it fullfills this raw artistic need inside of me. It's truly an amazing experience, and totally worth every red cent! It's really this amazing blend of raw power tool in harmony with handtools, and the most delicate forms and shapes come out of it. I think you need to wade in the waters Van! You already have the bandsaw for the whole experience! Come on in... the water is warm :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Van Huskey
12-31-2010, 10:03 AM
But it is an amazing black hole! I can't even describe how it fullfills this raw artistic need inside of me. It's truly an amazing experience, and totally worth every red cent! It's really this amazing blend of raw power tool in harmony with handtools, and the most delicate forms and shapes come out of it. I think you need to wade in the waters Van! You already have the bandsaw for the whole experience! Come on in... the water is warm :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Actually it will be my wife that wades into that shark infested pond first, she is the artist and has been talking on and off about lathes. We would have a Nova if my shop was up and built but as it is she decided to wait. Even though I don't plan any turning I am already looking at Oneways and 3520Bs because I know it will end up there someday, might as well get poor fast and not drag out the pain... Oh and I need a better chainsaw and a better grinder and and and...

Rick Markham
12-31-2010, 5:38 PM
Haha, nice Van! I honestly thought about the Nova, for a brief second. Then I ordered the the PM 3520B, I have to say it is one sweet machine. The outboard capacity of 38" is probably bigger than I will ever need. It's a great machine and worth every dollar. Oneways are beautiful machines too, though if I was going to go above the cost of the 3520, I was just going to save for a Robust American Beauty. Without a doubt the Cadillac of lathes. If you think about the oneways, I'd take a moment to consider the Robust, their owners have Nothing but praise for them, they are definitely the heavy weights.

Mike Cruz
12-31-2010, 6:06 PM
I was wondering when this thread would stray...;)

Rick Markham
12-31-2010, 8:10 PM
haha, it's always me that causes it too! :p

Rick Boyett
12-31-2010, 8:26 PM
My Delta 46-460 lathe was about $580 (taxes included). My TS3660 tablesaw was about $450 and my Grizzly 6" jointer was about $400. That's the most I've spent on new tools. I tend to buy when I can find a really good discount or I buy used off Craigslist where the majority of my tools have come from.

I would like to buy a tablesaw and I'm fully prepared to drop 3large on a new Unisaw but I need a dedicated shop for that. I don't want to have to move a Unisaw all over the place.

Mike Cruz
12-31-2010, 8:33 PM
Rick, good thing you and I live 1000 miles apart...we could get in/cause a LOT of trouble. ;)

Rick Markham
12-31-2010, 9:50 PM
Haha! Mike, I think we already do cause a lot of trouble! By the way this isn't getting the thread back on track :D

george wilson
12-31-2010, 10:01 PM
Probably my Dewalt/Clausing table saw. I bought it new for $600.00(or was it $400.00) in 1964. In today's money,that is more like $4000.00-$6000.000,but it was American made!!!

Anthony Whitesell
01-01-2011, 10:17 PM
So far my biggest purchase is the Grizzly G0513X2 Bandsaw, but I'm not done yet. Luckily I picked up $2200 of Onieda Cyclone DC and parts for $125 at auction, so the new DC won't make the list.

Mike Cruz
01-03-2011, 7:55 AM
479!!!! We're almost at 500...

Mike Cruz
01-04-2011, 7:35 PM
Oh, come on! 492, really? Are we really gonna fall short by 8 lousy votes?

James Combs
01-04-2011, 8:44 PM
In my case it was definitely my Jet 1642 lathe (unless I can count the shop it's self). Although I got a great deal from ToolNut on the lathe It was still the most expensive purchase in the shop.

BTW I see the count is now only 2 short of the 500.

Mike Cruz
01-04-2011, 9:06 PM
501!!!!!!!!!!!!
WooooHoooooo!!!!!

Wally Dickerman
01-05-2011, 12:12 AM
My Oneway lathe. Has all the bells and whistles. Pretty close to $7000. Lathe number 9. At my age it'll be my last.

Wally

Mike Cruz
01-05-2011, 8:03 AM
Wally, isn't that what everyone says about their lathe? This will be my last...;) :D

Alan Zenreich
01-05-2011, 8:12 AM
I voted lathe (Nova DVR XP). but looking back over my equipement, it was actually quite a bit less than my Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder.

Wally Dickerman
01-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Wally, isn't that what everyone says about their lathe? This will be my last...;) :D

Yeah Mike, I've heard that many times. In my case however, I'll be 90 in a few months so it may be true.

I do get a kick out of young guys who declare their new lathes will be their best and last. We have no idea what wonderful improvements will be made on future lathes. There have been so many improvements in the last few years such as sliding and swiveling headstocks, remote controls, electronic variable speed and much more that it's hard to keep up with them. I purchased a General 260 in about 1984 because it was considered to be the best lathe available. It had Reeves speed control, and a 12 inch swing.

Wally

Dennis Peacock
01-05-2011, 3:58 PM
I said my lathe, because my lathe cost more than my cabinet style tablesaw. I've spent some serious money on tools over the years, but at this time, I just haven't spent any real "high dollars" for something like a Felder or Hammer tablesaw.

glenn bradley
01-05-2011, 6:32 PM
Although recently the tablesaw has become an expensive tool/turning holder for all my lathe work recently LOL. It's ok, I will get back to the flatwork, just as soon as I pull myself from the vortex, Yeah right!:rolleyes:

Just goes to show you, people with lathes shouldn't own a tablesaw. They always seem to drop the "saw" part of the name off and end up with a table.

Van Huskey
01-05-2011, 7:03 PM
Just goes to show you, people with lathes shouldn't own a tablesaw. They always seem to drop the "saw" part of the name off and end up with a table.

True, but I have to give it to the people that work on the spinning thing they do like the "real" saw in the shop, you know the one with a band.

Gordon Eyre
01-05-2011, 7:19 PM
For a significant number of years I struggled with a Craftsman contractors saw. I hated it the whole time. One day I just decided that I was going to buy a good cabinet saw and so I went with a PM66 and have never looked back. I love my saw and have never regretted paying more for it than any of my other power tools.

Mick A Martin
01-05-2011, 8:44 PM
My 48" x 96" CAMaster CNC router cost the most in my shop

Todd Tyler
01-06-2011, 6:31 AM
I voted lathe. I just got a new Powermatic 3520b. 3600$. ouch
Todd

Gary Herrmann
01-06-2011, 7:13 AM
If we're including accessories, my lathe is easily my most expensive tool.

Richard Wagner
01-06-2011, 7:49 AM
This thread was very interesting to read and it soon became apparent just how diversified the forum membership is. Some of us are hobbyists and some (it seems most) are very serious craftsmen. Few hobbyists have a CNC guided tool.

Mike Cruz
01-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Gary, others have brought this up. Accessories do make the poll a bit more difficult/interesting. I originally intended this to be about the equipment itself. The TS, or the lathe, or the Band Saw. But accessories do belong with them. Unfortunately, accessories are not proprietory necessarily. For example: You may have spent $1000 on your DC, and $1500 on your ducting. But you could always upgrade your DC to a super cyclone for $3000 and still use the piping as is. So, for the DC, do you include the piping or not? How about the shaper? It is no good without cutterheads. But you could sell your shaper without selling the cutterheads. Likewise, or actually, more complicated, is the lathe...you have accessories like chucks, and then you have tools to go with it like gouges.

So, to simplify, I was really aiming at the machine itself. But many have taken the liberty to interperet this poll in their own way. I'm okay with that.

Thanks for participating.

Mike Cruz
01-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Okay, with the onslaught of late voters, we're about to crest 600. Just ten votes away. Who hasn't voted?

Dar Lounsbury
01-06-2011, 7:28 PM
Blum Mini-Press. Hinge drill, insertion machine with multi-spindle drilling abilities. Big $$$$.

Mike Cruz
01-06-2011, 7:39 PM
601 !!!!!!!!!!!!

Van Huskey
01-06-2011, 7:56 PM
Shameless thread promotion!!! I like it, watch for an old Van poll to pop up, it didn't even make 300, but I am gonna fix that... :)

Mike Cruz
01-06-2011, 8:53 PM
I was wondering what the highest number of votes received on a poll was... I posed the question to the "higher up" but never received a response. Did some research and didn't find anything over 300, but didn't see your Poll thread either. So, I'm sure there are a lot more "polls" that I didn't find.

Shameless promotion? C'mon, dude, I've been doing that since about 100 votes! Heck, I even made sure that the spinny guys saw this thread. I think a lot of them stay away from the General WWing section...mostly flatboard stuff going on there. Ever since I made the spinny guys aware of the thread, Lathe #'s soared. ;)

If I made the Neanders aware, Other would skyrocket, but they's be voting for a hand plane or something...not really equipment, so it would throw the poll off. :D

Anyone know what the highest is? No, it doesn't really matter, but it's fun...for me at least. :D

Mike Cruz
01-07-2011, 4:34 PM
Bump.

Hehe, that was for you, Van. :D

Looks like we're leveling out. Unless we get some serious traffic, I don't think 700 is gonna happen. Of course, I didn't think 400 would happen after we hit 300 either...

Mike Cruz
01-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Bump again, because I see that people are still voting, but without replies to the thread, it gets lost in pages gone by. Unfortunately, a vote does not keep the thread "alive".

Stew Hagerty
01-10-2011, 10:10 AM
I just voted for "Other". That "Other" being my new (just ordered last week) Incra LS Super System router table with Woodpecker Sidewider Lift. I inherited my classic Craftsman table saw from my father-in-law and added a 50" Vega fence and upgraded to an Osborne miter gauge, so it's now a pretty decent saw at an outstanding cost. My workbench would certainly be my most expensive piece of equipment if I had bought it. I inherited this handmade beauty from my father-in-law as well.

Matt Meiser
01-10-2011, 10:26 AM
I previously voted dust collector and that's probably still true if you count the electrical and ductwork to support it. However my Jointer/Planer was close to 2x the cost of the DC.

Van Huskey
01-10-2011, 12:35 PM
I previously voted dust collector and that's probably still true if you count the electrical and ductwork to support it. However my Jointer/Planer was close to 2x the cost of the DC.

It just hit me that if you include tooling it could really change the results. My table saw blades added in would double the price of my PM2000, and my router bits probably cost 4-5 times what my most expensive router/lift cost. Though I am not a turner I know guys with even high end lathes that have as much or more invested in lathe tools/chucks etc. Though I voted sander if tooling is consider the sander is going to near the back of the bus, well behind even my router table.

Another bump for you Mike, from the guy that bumped his own CLOSED poll... I am an idiot that is the only poll I ever started that I put an end date on.

Terry Fogarty
01-11-2011, 8:58 AM
Jointer for mine. And mainly because shelix heads are sooooo expensive here down under in Australia.

Kelly Craig
01-12-2011, 3:16 AM
It'd be tight between my 3hp Oneida Gorilla Cyclone and my 3hp Unisaw with a Unifence on a 52" table, a Merlin splitter, a Jet Kick-down rear support roller table and an Excalibur over-arm shield and dust extractor. Of course, add to that about twenty-five blades, including an adjustable and a shim type dado and a Craftsman molder head.

Or, you could consider my Twinkie Mobil, an old Hostess Gruman step van

Mike Cruz
01-12-2011, 7:49 AM
So, Kelly, did you vote DC or Table saw? I hope you didn't vote other based on the van...I was kinda talking about wwing machines.

Dave Anthony
01-12-2011, 9:50 PM
I voted other. Jet 12" jointer/planer combo. Table saw is close 2nd - Delta contractor saw w/Jessem sliding table. If I had to do it again, I'd buy a cabinet saw - on the other hand, at the time I didn't have 220 V in the shop, & I really wanted a sliding table. Jointer/planer was a birthday gift - not something I really needed, but it sure is nice :)

Mike Cruz
01-12-2011, 11:43 PM
Sorry, Van, but I needed to do another shameless plug... :p

I really didn't think I'd be saying this but we are at 691! We can't land shy of 700...

You'd think I was getting kickbacks or something per vote with how obsessed I am with this... :D

Van Huskey
01-12-2011, 11:48 PM
Sorry, Van, but I needed to do another shameless plug... :p

I really didn't think I'd be saying this but we are at 691! We can't land shy of 700...

You'd think I was getting kickbacks or something per vote with how obsessed I am with this... :D

Oh the humanity!!!

I spent 3.00 on a deadblow hammer at HF today it is my most expensive tool purchase this year... :)

Mike Cruz
01-13-2011, 12:01 AM
Good thing I started this last year and you already voted, otherwise you probably would have voted "other", and it would have been for a hammer...not a Hammer.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-13-2011, 2:52 AM

What are you saying? I should have spent less on my TABLEsaw? It does cost more than my lathe..... It is a really nice big table. Holds lots of half finished bowls.

Michael Manfre
01-18-2011, 5:47 PM
My drill press cost as much as my lathe, but voted lathe because of the tools, chucks and other extras. TS will take the top spot as soon as I order it.

Rick Markham
01-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Ha! I never thought it would happen to me... I'll get around to using it again... I will have to cut segments on something:D

I do still use it quite a bit, though my flat work has taken a backseat to turning for sure. Now it's just a pain, I have to clean all the bowls, turning tools, donut chuck etc. off of it before I can use it:o I'd love to have a dedicated table for turning. Having a small shop doesn't lend itself to that, some things have to pull double duty... and my workbench is covered with Maple burl blanks, and various other wood blanks :p

Rod Sheridan
01-19-2011, 6:11 PM
Oh the humanity!!!

I spent 3.00 on a deadblow hammer at HF today it is my most expensive tool purchase this year... :)

You're ahead of me, I'm in Virginia this week for work (fuel tank replacement) and I realised that I left my safety glasses in Canada.

A quick trip to Lowes and $2.45 later.........................Gee, on second thought I've only spent $2.45 on tools this year, I'm slacking off! The economy will never recover at this rate.

Regards, Rod.

Matt Meiser
01-19-2011, 7:28 PM
HF has deadblow hammers on sale for $3?

Van Huskey
01-19-2011, 7:40 PM
HF has deadblow hammers on sale for $3?

They did, dunno if they do now. It was the black version, they wanted several more bucks for the orange one of equal size.

After the purchase of 2 MORE bandsaws, Carter guides on sale and a bunch of other stuff I am well over the 2k mark for the year, I started slow but catching up to last year fast! I really do have to get my priorities straight I need to get moving on the new shop instead of buying tools for it, I have reached maximum density in my garage so the only thing I can do is store tools... I have too much time to post here since the only thing I can do now is either pet my tools or take inventory.

Tim Riley
01-22-2011, 11:32 AM
I looked at my "hobby business", my passion and decided it was time to consolidate; now I'm moving full speed ahead with a business. I assessed my shop equipment and decided that it was in good shape so I bit for a laser engraver ($18K+).

It raises the value of my shop equipment by 50% but raises my production capabilities by 1000%; I can now work on things I never dreamed possible. The best part is the added tweaks I can now put on things like my writing instruments, music and jewelry boxes and crosses.

My wife's reaction when she first heard: :eek: ; now that she sees the results :D

Nick Christensen
01-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Laser engraver $15,000
Brush sander $4300
CNC machine $3500

Saw Stop from Craigslist $1100

Those were the most expensive machines I bought, man what a year.

Mike Cruz
01-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Okay, another shameless bump on this thread. I can't believe it, but we are just 11 votes away from 800.

Nick Christensen
01-28-2011, 11:17 PM
Laser Engraver #1 by about three times the next most expensive, a 13" Brush sander from Super max. Then a Romaxx HS-1 with three routers.

Man what a year!

glenn bradley
01-29-2011, 8:42 AM
Same here. It may not be worth the most but I just got deals on everything else.

Yep. I have the same approach. Getting deals where I can helps pay for those places I can't ;-)

Mike Cruz
01-29-2011, 1:32 PM
Well, I didn't vote for you, Glenn...oops, you don't vote for an emperor, do you, now. ;)

Mike Cruz
01-29-2011, 8:15 PM
Woohooooooo!!!! The big 800!!!!!!

Mike Cruz
10-25-2011, 3:19 PM
Funny how things change...now I'd have to say DC with my ClearVue.

Larry Edgerton
10-25-2011, 6:38 PM
My planer was $11,000. I'd be lucky to get $4,500 out of it in todays market. MiniMax tablesaw was $9,000, Scmi shaper.......

I hope some of you guys make it to my wifes auction when I kick the bucket....

Larry

Bud Millis
10-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Jointer seems to go quick, sometimes it seems like a long time on the planer, but I think for the most part the tablesaw.

Steven Lee, NC
10-26-2011, 2:11 PM
jointer/planer combo for other

Carl Beckett
10-26-2011, 2:17 PM
I have a lot in my router table. Porter Cable 7518 - >$300. Bench dog lift - >$300. Incra Fence - >$150 Misc track feather boards hold downs. Maybe $100

Now.... lets talk router bits (one raised panel set alone was over $250).

I do have a dual drum sander that was over $2k - which is my largest single purchase. But given how much I had in my router table (all dedicated to the table so I consider it a set), I am surprised it is not even listed as an option.

Brian Krause
10-26-2011, 3:51 PM
I voted tablesaw, but it is actually a saw/shaper combo, with jointer/planer combo a close second.

Mike Cruz
10-26-2011, 9:29 PM
Sorry, Carl. I was limited to 10 options. I also figured that it would be more likely to have spent more on a shaper than a router table. And on that note, when I started this thread, I was aiming this at the piece of equipment specifically, not with all the "go-withs". Mainly because some machines (like a jointer) don't need much if anything to go with it. Other things like shapers, router tables, and lathes beg for endless extras. Also, with these types of machines, all those extras are not proprietary to those machines necessarily. In other words, you could buy a $500 lathe, and spend $2000 in extras. But then uprade the lathe to a $4000 lathe, and still be able to use those extras you bought for the first lathe.

So, what I was getting at was to find out which piece of machinery people went ahead and splurged on...regardless of the extras. Bottom line, though, is that the router table was what you spurged on, so in a way, you answered the question just fine. Thanks for your input and vote. :)

Gordon Eyre
10-27-2011, 12:57 PM
My PM 66 Powermatic table saw was the most expensive and it is also the most used.

Neil Brooks
10-27-2011, 1:04 PM
For me, the only real question was "Did you spend more on your TS (SawStop 5hp ICS) than you did, on the rest of your tools, combined ?"

I'd really have to think about that one :)

Neil Brooks
10-27-2011, 1:06 PM
My planer was $11,000. I'd be lucky to get $4,500 out of it in todays market. MiniMax tablesaw was $9,000, Scmi shaper.......

I hope some of you guys make it to my wifes auction when I kick the bucket....

I make it a point to never be worth more dead than alive !

Carl Beckett
10-27-2011, 3:12 PM
Sorry, Carl. I was limited to 10 options. I also figured that it would be more likely to have spent more on a shaper than a router table. And on that note, when I started this thread, I was aiming this at the piece of equipment specifically, not with all the "go-withs". Mainly because some machines (like a jointer) don't need much if anything to go with it. Other things like shapers, router tables, and lathes beg for endless extras. Also, with these types of machines, all those extras are not proprietary to those machines necessarily. In other words, you could buy a $500 lathe, and spend $2000 in extras. But then uprade the lathe to a $4000 lathe, and still be able to use those extras you bought for the first lathe.

So, what I was getting at was to find out which piece of machinery people went ahead and splurged on...regardless of the extras. Bottom line, though, is that the router table was what you spurged on, so in a way, you answered the question just fine. Thanks for your input and vote. :)

No worries Mike - its your poll so you get to pick the choices. :) And as you say, I added some of those extras over time and they will transfer to an upgraded machine. It was just a surprise for me when it came time to make the investment - the router table ended up being more than I first thought.

I still have oscillating belt sander envy.... so ask this poll again in a year. (oh, maybe an interesting question was which tools you have 'upgraded' first as well - I have spent low end money when starting out only to upgrade later. Might not be ideal, but was practical)

Paul McGaha
10-27-2011, 3:16 PM
Neil,

Has your new saw come in yet? I've been kind of looking for the gloat. I'm pretty sure I remember the post when you decided to order it.

PHM

Leo Graywacz
10-27-2011, 4:24 PM
For me it was my dust collector. All of my machinery in my shop cost between $1K and $2K, the dust collector was about $1400. But the ducting added up to more that the collector itself.

Since you didn't have a poll for spray room I will say that by the time I got done with the room, the fan, the explosion proof everything, the Kremlin spray pump system, all the HVLP guns, hoses filters and lighting, that room cost my over $10K

Mike Cruz
10-27-2011, 4:28 PM
Carl, that has been my whole shop experience! Don't have the time to go into it now, but for example, I went from a Ridgid TS to a Unisaw, 7" HF jointer to a 6" then 8" Delta jointer, Grizzly 2hp DC to a Grizzly 3hp DC to a ClearVue 5hp, and the list goes on. Made good purchases and pretty much never lost money because I got things at great prices...used of course, but great prices. It has been a fun journey...

Timothy Wolf
11-02-2011, 1:57 PM
I voted Bandsaw, but then I realized I put a sliding table on my Supersaw and mounted a router table to the side of it so I paid more for the table saw, sorry for messing up the poll. I paid $500 for my virtually unused bandsaw and $450 for the table saw, $200 for the sliding table, and $100 for the router kit. Almost all of my tools were bought used at less than half their retail price except the sliding table which was on clearance for 50% off. I have put together my entire shop for about $2000 so I got alot of awesome deals on Craigslist.

Mike Cruz
11-03-2011, 8:59 PM
Don't worry about it, Timothy, you aren't the first. Heck, since I started this, mine has changed! Not to mention, I wouln't count the router kit anyway since it has nothing to do with the table saw other than it was a good place for it (space saving wise). Sounds like you're doing a great job with your budget. Keep finding those deals!

Jim Becker
11-03-2011, 9:09 PM
My MiniMax slider came out on top, followed by my Stubby lathe. The MiniMax J/P was next followed by the MiniMax BS. And, of course, the Onieda dust collection system and my Festool collection fit in there, too. But I don't consider all this "spend"...rather, it's "investment" given these things will last a lifetime and beyond. I'm happy that I was able to do that when I could because should I ever actually be able to retire, there certainly will not be money available for major tool purchases.

Justin Chen
11-03-2011, 9:57 PM
Hmm what's interesting is that I have a pretty workable power tool shop (table saw, band saw, planer, routers, drill press, jointer). From what I recall the router might be my most expensive item. I've pretty much snagged all my big equipment on clearence or used. Patience was quite a key to save lots of money.

Craftsman 22214 - $150-200 clearence
Ridgid 14" bandsaw - $150 clearence
Dewalt 733 - $150 used
Ridgid Drill Press - $150 clearence
Delta 6" jointer - $150 clearence
Triton Router - $200 new

Pretty crazy how one of my smallest tools was the most expensive.

Brian Brightwell
11-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Jet 24 inch wide belt sander-$2600. By far the most expensive. Next week I look at a cyclone dust collector used for $350.

Don Morris
11-04-2011, 1:16 AM
Grizz 1023SL and if you consider: several Forrest blades, spliters, add on out feed table, Grrrr Ripper system (2), Miter Express, HTC mobile base, + couple other thingamajigs as total cost. Beat all the other saws and drills by far.

Mike Cruz
11-04-2011, 7:51 AM
Good luck with that cyclone, Brian. For that price, how can you pass it up?

Peter Kelly
11-04-2011, 9:54 AM
SCM Olimpic Edgebander: $29,000
Griggio 10' Sliding Table Saw: $16,000
SCM 2250 Jointer/Planer: $10,000
SCM Construction Drill: $7,500
Aget Dust Kop: $6,000
IR Air Compressor + Air Dryer: $5,600
Betterly Postformer: $5,500
5hp Unisaw: $3,600
Delta HD shaper: $2,200
Blum Minipress: $2,500
Delta 14" bandsaw: $900

Rigging, installation, tooling, electrical, air piping, spiral ducting, blast gates etc. for above machines: $?
Assorted routers, drills, saws, spray guns, sanders, etc. $?

^ That's for a pretty basic shop not including rent, insurance, utility bills, office supplies, computers, software, etc.

Professional woodworking is an expensive thing to get into....

Mike Cruz
11-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Holy Big Bucks, Batman! YOU WIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Leo Graywacz
11-04-2011, 10:34 AM
SCM Olimpic Edgebander: $29,000
Griggio 10' Sliding Table Saw: $16,000
SCM 2250 Jointer/Planer: $10,000
SCM Construction Drill: $7,500
Aget Dust Kop: $6,000
IR Air Compressor + Air Dryer: $5,600
Betterly Postformer: $5,500
5hp Unisaw: $3,600
Delta HD shaper: $2,200
Blum Minipress: $2,500
Delta 14" bandsaw: $900

Rigging, installation, tooling, electrical, air piping, spiral ducting, blast gates etc. for above machines: $?
Assorted routers, drills, saws, spray guns, sanders, etc. $?

^ That's for a pretty basic shop not including rent, insurance, utility bills, office supplies, computers, software, etc.

Professional woodworking is an expensive thing to get into....

What!?! No widebelt?

Nice sounding shop.

Peter Kelly
11-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Thanks! The shop was set up for commercial stuff so around 75% of what I'd made was higher-end laminate casework. Another shop down the street had a Timesavers and a spray shop that did all the sanding and finishing for me if I had made anything out of solid wood. I managed to get out before the economy tanked but a Thermwood router was probably going to be the next purchase.

Nowadays, I make do with just the Unisaw, Jointer/Planer, Drill Press, Shaper, Bandsaw etc, in a barn on my parent's farm. It's nice to not have to worry about leasing, rent, etc. but I certainly miss the big work space and sliding saw.

Dan Evans
11-04-2011, 2:26 PM
I have to say my bench. Since the survey did not say "machine" I am assuming which tool do I spend the most time using: my bench. This applies to whether I am using my machines or hand tools.

Mike Cruz
11-04-2011, 3:29 PM
Hehe, Dan, you while there have been a few "misreads" of my original post and what I was asking, I think you are the first to have misunderstood the meaning this way. The question is Which piece of equipment did you spend the most MONEY on? ...not time. But I like the way you're thinking. :)

Peter Kelly
11-04-2011, 6:39 PM
Holy Big Bucks, Batman! YOU WIN!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd say my machinery dealer is the one that won :rolleyes:

Ah well.

Larry Edgerton
11-04-2011, 7:23 PM
Nowadays, I make do with just the Unisaw, Jointer/Planer, Drill Press, Shaper, Bandsaw etc, in a barn on my parent's farm. It's nice to not have to worry about leasing, rent, etc. but I certainly miss the big work space and sliding saw.

I know what you mean. I went from a 9000 ft. shop to just over 2000, had to sell some tools, and just trying to get ahead a little.

Simplify, simplify, simplify! Not just at work but my personal life as well.

But I had a great run.....

Larry

Peter Kelly
11-05-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm down to 1,000 ft, only 1/2 of which is heated and fully enclosed. I guess it's all relative but I find it so much harder to work in a small space like that. Like I'm constantly moving things around to get to other stuff. Forces me to be a lot more organized but it also feels less productive.

george leonard
11-05-2011, 3:30 PM
Band saw my favorite tool and most used.

Mike Cruz
11-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Peter, while pretty much all of my machines are on mobile bases, it is so I can make minor adjustments if necessary. If I had to move machines around to use them, I'd never get anything done. I'm just not well organized enough for it, so I'd fall in the NOT productive catagory there...

Dan Hintz
11-07-2011, 1:42 PM
If I had to move machines around to use them, I'd never get anything done. I'm just not well organized enough for it, so I'd fall in the NOT productive catagory there...
I didn't realize you fell into the "productive" category as it stands... ;)

Mike Cruz
11-07-2011, 1:47 PM
Sticks and stones, love, sticks and stones...

Dan Hintz
11-07-2011, 1:57 PM
Funny, just read my original post and I voted for bandsaw.

Guess I completely forgot about my laser. Even with the CNC now in my shop, the laser makes it all look like small potatoes.

Kevin Gregoire
11-07-2011, 2:58 PM
i am on a VERY limited budget so it takes a long time to save up for a major purchase
but my biggest so far would be my router table setup:

below are new prices which add up to about $1200
and all my items are new but bought off eBay & CL and i got some great deals
and paid around half that price but cant remember exact numbers.

Bench Dog cabinet 40-110 = $340
Kreg router table PRS1020 = $180
Kreg router fence PRS1010 = $200
Kreg micro adjuster = $16
Kreg router lift PRS3000 = $300
Porter Cable router 892 = $160

the next item is a new Powermatic 14" bandsaw with factory mobile base for $800

Mike Cruz
11-08-2011, 3:28 PM
Getting awfully close to 1000 votes...:eek:

Jerome Hanby
11-08-2011, 4:15 PM
I think after all the dust settles, my most expensive purchase will be my near mythical $300 Unisaw. Already bought the Inra joinery fence system for it, a fiberglass reproduction goose egg, am planning on sending the arbor the Saw Center to be redone, and have the RI motor overhauled. Throw in some paint and primer and I probably could have bought a brand new Unisaw...but it would never be a classic 1948 model!

Well maybe not totally classic. Was thinking today, if I'm going to strip it all down and repaint, I could paint it match the Incra stuff! Cool red and gold Iron Man colors <g> I saw someones router table done in that fashion and it looked pretty cool. I think if the Wood Whisper can have a flame job on his Powermatic then I can go all Iron man on my old iron.

Mike Cruz
11-08-2011, 4:30 PM
Jerome, go for it! I didn't have the guts to go colorful on my PM90. Sometimes I wish I did. But then again, classic looks awesome. But I think you Uni would look way cool in red and gold.

Jerome Hanby
11-08-2011, 8:39 PM
I've been surfing looking for some info online about paint that matches Incra's color scheme. Maybe I can find that router table and contact the builder!

Mike Cruz
11-08-2011, 10:19 PM
You've GOT to post pics of it, Jerome. I think it'll turn out great.

BTW, only 2 more votes to hit 1000 votes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Cruz
11-09-2011, 8:58 AM
WooHoooooo, we crested 1000!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerome Hanby
11-09-2011, 4:33 PM
I can almost see the finish line on my shop redo. In the melee of moving stuff around, I've laid hands on my Unisaw more than a few times and I'm feeling pretty guilty about not working on it already. Once the power and cabinets are done and the shop is put back together, i think that's my next project. Wonder if I take my Incra 1000SE with me if the paint shop can match the colors?

Mike Cruz
11-09-2011, 5:47 PM
Don't see why not! You must be excited.

Van Huskey
12-12-2011, 5:19 AM
If you have to paint why not paint it in colors that make you smile when you look at it. Incra colors sounds very cool!

Doug Morgan
12-12-2011, 6:40 PM
Lathe. I spent the summer in restoration mode for the Powermatic 45. And I found so many friends too!;)

Rick Gibson
12-13-2011, 2:10 PM
I voted tablesaw but my jointer was about the same price.

Mike Cruz
02-07-2013, 11:10 PM
You know, this poll and thread are still open for all you new comers...;) :rolleyes:

David Nelson1
02-08-2013, 6:16 AM
I voted band saw way back since it was and still is the only new tool, but if this were today I would have to vote other. Adding up my recent hand tools purchases alone in the past 2 months over shadows any corded tool purchase.

Jeff Duncan
02-08-2013, 9:43 AM
Wow still going??? I don't remember if I posted here so......I guess I'll just do it again:D

If it's just for an individual machine I'd have to say I have the most invested in my shaper. The upfront price was pretty low, but I spent a couple thousand more on the rebuild. Now total investment it would be the dust collector WITH pipe. The collector itself wasn't bad, but I have over $4k in just ductwork.....so far:rolleyes:

JeffD

Kirk Poore
02-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Wow still going??? I don't remember if I posted here so......I guess I'll just do it again:D

If it's just for an individual machine I'd have to say I have the most invested in my shaper. The upfront price was pretty low, but I spent a couple thousand more on the rebuild. Now total investment it would be the dust collector WITH pipe. The collector itself wasn't bad, but I have over $4k in just ductwork.....so far:rolleyes:

JeffD

I went with planer first. But since then, I've spent more than double that on my DC system. That is the most, unless you count the shop building itself.

Kirk

John Poole
02-08-2013, 12:39 PM
For those of us with a multitool, e.g. Robland, you might consider adding a category "Multitool" to isolate such predicatable responses. With a multitool participant, then the question becomes what is the 2nd tool you invested the most into.

Mike Cruz
02-08-2013, 1:06 PM
Yeah, John, there were a lot of people that said they had planer/jointer combos, or all-in-one machines like a Shopmith that had to chose "other". Unfortunately, when I first did this poll, I had 10 poll choices to make. I wish I had had 15... And with only 3 people out of over 1000 responders picking Drill Press, I suppose I could have eliminated that one. But the other side of the coin is that by having Drill Press, it shows that there are some that either made that machine a priority or that is where they didn't skimp. Had I not put it in, I would never have known. Again, wish I had had 15 to 20 options so I could have included things like Shopsmiths, combo machines, disc sanders, router tables, etc...

Jim O'Dell
02-08-2013, 11:32 PM
It was close for me between the TS and the BS...I mean literally a bout 25 dollars. But I think the BS won, at least if I'm remembering right. Jim.

Jeffrey Spitler
02-09-2013, 1:56 PM
Safety speed cut 7400, used only a couple of times by the previous owner...no blemishes on it anywhere...picked it up on craigslist for less than half a new one.(4800)...could sell it easily for at least a thousand more.

Mike Cruz
02-09-2013, 2:07 PM
Wow, now that IS expensive...especially for used!

Hey 1111 votes!!!!! Woohooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim Tabor
02-09-2013, 8:37 PM
My wifes new Yukon after I bought an 8" jointer and 15" planer without talking to her first. I now put the cost of the jointer and planer at about $43,000.

Mike Cruz
02-09-2013, 11:26 PM
Beautiful, Jim. So, I guess you voted for "other"... Now why didn't I think of putting "Yukon" as one of the choices? :rolleyes: