PDA

View Full Version : Oil choice for finishing garden tools?

Aaron Buys
12-22-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm in the final stages of finishing some garden tools as a Christmas gift. The handles are purpleheart and I have tung, walnut, and boiled linseed oil finishes available. One of Raffan's books I have remarks that tung oil penetrates well and creates a hard finish once dry so I am leaning towards that but I was curious if any of you had any recommendations. Also, how fine a grit would you recommend I sand to before applying the oil?

Thanks!

tom martin
12-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Aaron,
I would think any of those oils would work. I use teak oil on outside stuff, but need to recoat evry year or so. Those pieces are in the elements every day. Personally I like a grip on my tools so I would go with a tool surface or 100 grit sandpaper.

Ken Hill
12-23-2010, 5:34 AM
Tung or Antique Oil would be my choice. Those oils I use alot on my game calls and they are exposed to some serious elements and hold up well.

Greg Just
12-23-2010, 8:32 AM
Seeing these are Christmas presents, you might consider something other than an oil as they might not dry. In that case an exterior poly might be my choice. Happy Holidays!

Jim Burr
12-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Years ago when I made canoe paddles, BLO was the standard for the handles. If you think about it...your hand is on there...sometimes all day and it better be soft!!!