PDA

View Full Version : My 2nd Turning - Acorn Lidded Box

Tim Thiebaut
12-22-2010, 7:55 PM
I know the pictures arent up to par but that is something I will have to work on down the road, right now I am just trying to learn the basics of turning. All comments, and critics are welcome. One thing I found after I turned the lid was the very tiny microscopic cracks appeared up near the stem of the cap. I hadnt even seen them until I put the finish on, I dont know if this is something inherent in the wood itself, or something I did.

Acorn lidded box, Rosewood cap, Osage Orange Nut, Mylands friction polish for finish...

David E Keller
12-22-2010, 8:38 PM
That's a good looking little box, Tim. The cracks near the top may be caused by heat related to excessive sanding unless they were there prior to turning.

Roger Chandler
12-22-2010, 8:58 PM
Nice one Tim! I like the shape and the contrasting woods............You are doing well with your new toy! Congrats!

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Really a nice looking box. I agree the cracks look like they could be from sanding heat.

John Keeton
12-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Nice work!! Since the cracks are cross grain, I agree on the heat.

Tim Thiebaut
12-23-2010, 1:21 AM
Thanks for all of the nice comments guys, I am having a lot of fun learning while turning. I will have to watch my sanding in the future, I wanted this to come out butter smooth, and it did, its like glass to the touch, I didnt realize that I was heating it up to much. Thanks for the info on that!

Ron Stadler
12-23-2010, 11:17 AM
cute box, really like the lid on this one.

Jim Burr
12-23-2010, 11:22 AM
My only complaint is that it's not bigger! Really nice box Tim!!!

Tim Thiebaut
12-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks everyone!

@ Jim - I know! LOL...the only wood I have is 2" x 2"...I am leavig for rocklers in a few minutes though, I need some larger diameter wood so that I can make things a little bigger. I found a picture of this really cute little box, but it is about 4-5 inches round, so that might be one of my next projects after I finish the one I started last night.