PDA

View Full Version : Turning bows ??

Rob Littleton
01-05-2005, 7:49 PM
So, I have turned pens and.......pens........and more pens and I just decided to try and turn my first bowl using the tools that santa brought me ( the robert sorby 6 pack).

Tried before but not real seriously.....

anyways, I tried to turn a bowl the other day and got the middle and got slightly stuck........

I guess there are many ways to skin a cat but what do you guys do to get the middle of the bowl flat WITHOUT the tool spinning and shaking. I tried useing a scraper and a bowl gouge and a parting tool and a skew......

Come on you professionals, what do you use? Is the tool rest below the center or above or in line.........help!!!

cheers

Jim Ketron
01-05-2005, 8:01 PM
I would strongly suggest getting the Bill Grumbine bowl turning DVD!!!well worth the money!!!
Im fairly new to bowl turning and it has helped me Greatly!
I Only use a very Sharp Bowl gouge !
Jim

Fred LeBail
01-05-2005, 9:29 PM
I have to agree with Jim, Bill's turning DVD is the best tool I have for my bowl turning. Use it almost as much as my gouge!
Hang in there with bowl stuff, it will come.
Fred

Richard Allen
01-06-2005, 8:57 AM
Books are a good source for learning bowl turning. Better than a book is a video on bowl turning. Better, for me, than a video is seeing a bowl turned in person where you can see in 3D, walk around for different views and ask questions as you watch. Much better than seeing a bowl turned in person is to get some hands on instruction.

The best money I ever spent on woodturning was on the classes I have taken.

Jim Becker
01-06-2005, 9:21 AM
Rob...I believe they have great turning courses right there at the college in Prescott. Phil Brennion is one of the instructors to the best of my knowlege. It doesn't get much better than that!

Scott Loven
01-06-2005, 1:57 PM
bowls? I thought you were making wooden bow ties on the lathe!
Scott

Rob Littleton
01-06-2005, 7:24 PM
bowls? I thought you were making wooden bow ties on the lathe!
Scott

I still have all 10, although, the way I type, you'd sometimes wonder .......

appreciate you picking that up :-(

hehehe

Ken Salisbury
01-07-2005, 8:42 AM
Bill Grumbine's "Turned Bowls Made Easy" is worth way more than the cost to anyone interested in making bowls. Even a dried up old man like me who has been turning since 1944 :eek: . I found it to be an excellent teaching video.