PDA

View Full Version : Cathy's burl... Pt 2

David DeCristoforo
12-22-2010, 7:28 PM
The second of Cathy's oak burls went under the knife today. This one was much easier (sic) not as much "fun" due to the fact that it was mostly wood whereas the other was mostly bark. So... now that's out of the way.

174808 174807

David E Keller
12-22-2010, 8:42 PM
That's another beautiful piece of wood. The collar/lip is a little oversized for my taste, but different strokes for different folks.

Dennis Simmons
12-22-2010, 8:46 PM
I still say that this what Venus de milo was holding when her arms broke off :) This is very nice, and I see that you very much enjoy your lathe work.

Cathy Schaewe
12-22-2010, 9:44 PM
I still say that this what Venus de milo was holding when her arms broke off :) This is very nice, and I see that you very much enjoy your lathe work.

Ha!

It's pretty. I love that grain!

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2010, 9:51 PM
Really is a beauty David. The rim is a bit big for my taste also.

David DeCristoforo
12-22-2010, 9:53 PM
"The collar/lip is a little oversized for my taste..."

I am witchu my nolongerfunky brutha. I would have made it even bigger but there wasn't any more wood...

PS That goes for Bernie too...

John Keeton
12-22-2010, 10:54 PM
David, this one is schizophrenic!! Kind of calm on one side, but it has a distorted and cracked personality on the other!!!:D

The rim isn't what one often sees, but on this piece, it kind of works in a wierd sort of way.

Curt Fuller
12-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Gnarly, burled oak is hard to beat for being pretty. I like the shape and the wide rim gives it a tall "spittoon" look. And if you haven't ever noticed, I like anything with bark inclusions, missing pieces, etc.

Doug W Swanson
12-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Kind of calm on one side, but it has a distorted and cracked personality on the other!!!

I was thinking the same thing, John!

The first time I looked at it I wasn't sure about the wide rim but now I kind of like it. It's a pretty piece of wood, too!

charlie knighton
12-23-2010, 12:09 AM
very nice.....

Don Alexander
12-23-2010, 12:20 AM
Absolutely gorgeous wood the form works for me i really like it

joel nucifore
12-23-2010, 5:54 AM
rim may be big but if shown on side with bark really works. what this one not as much fun beacuse you did not have to put on a suit of armor like the last one, to turn it??

David DeCristoforo
12-23-2010, 9:45 AM
"...but it has a distorted and cracked personality on the other..."

I hope you are referring to my turning....:D

"...whas this one not as much fun beacuse you did not have to put on a suit of armor?..."

There was no expectation that the first vase would survive intact. So there was no "demand" or sense that I should worry too much about the result. Somehow, that made it more enjoyable.

John Keeton
12-23-2010, 9:50 AM
"...but it has a distorted and cracked personality on the other..."

I hope you are referring to my turning....:DWell......that, too!!:D:D:D

Jim Burr
12-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Great job senor! Definitely looks like 2 separate vases...or vozes...or vooses...what's the pleural for vase??

David DeCristoforo
12-23-2010, 10:49 AM
"...what's the pleural for vase..."

Vaseses. Or Vaazes. Depends on which version of English you are using.

bob svoboda
12-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Regardless of whether or not you like the rim, it's a really nice turning. I really like the form on the main body of the piece and the wood (yes, the wood) is just crazy nice.

Ron Stadler
12-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Nice job David, you must keep your tools sharp for these turnings, myself I am having problems with this 8" variable speed Delta gringer, It vibrates so much the tools bounce on them when grinding, our president of our club has the same grinder with the same results and hates his. Anyway this on to another subject and well maybe I'll start that now.:)