PDA

View Full Version : Lowrider-Red Oak NE

Ken Hill
12-22-2010, 7:26 PM
A few weeks back, the loggers drug out a nice red oak and when they lopped off the butt end, I saw one section that wasnt tore up from being drug up the hill. When I cut into it to get a blank out of it, there was a crack forcing me to make it much more shallow then I had originally planned.

Red Oak 7 x 1.5 NE
Minwax Antique Oil (first of many coats)

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Bowls-and-Wood-Turning/CMR4957/1134847184_LLUGw-L.jpg

Frank Van Atta
12-22-2010, 7:35 PM
I like it; that's not a form you see every day.

David DeCristoforo
12-22-2010, 7:35 PM
Woah... that's way cool, Ken. My first thought was that it looks like a NE bowl that melted. Then I started seeing a canoe. Must be something I ate :rolleyes:

Brian Libby
12-22-2010, 7:38 PM
Really nice looking!

Fred Perreault
12-22-2010, 7:50 PM
Ken, You are a hoot, and the oak bowl is a classic in the making :)

Lee Koepke
12-22-2010, 8:15 PM
I thought it had 'melted' too .... pretty unique looking!

John Keeton
12-22-2010, 10:46 PM
I like the name - very appropriate! Great form on a very unusual piece, Ken.
Woah... that's way cool, Ken. My first thought was that it looks like a NE bowl that melted. Then I started seeing a canoe. Must be something I ate :rolleyes:Canoe!! Exactly my first thought!!

Harry Robinette
12-22-2010, 10:51 PM
Ken
I did a peice almost identical to you's when I was at J.C.Campbell with Doug Barnes back a few years ago .As soon as I get my camera fixed I'll send you a photo it's really unbelievable .Mine is about 9 x 2 1/2 .
Harry
by the way REALLY NICE SHAPE !!!!!

Mike Campbell KS
12-22-2010, 11:02 PM
I think that is the one of the coolest forms I have seen in quite awhile. I feel like this might be my next project.

charlie knighton
12-23-2010, 12:11 AM
looks like a canoe, cool

Don Alexander
12-23-2010, 12:23 AM
really nice i always liked oak when i was making furniture and other assorted flatwork and i think i like it just as much for turning so far

Ken Hill
12-23-2010, 5:32 AM
Thanks for the comments. I dont see a canoe haha, not sure if thats good or bad LOL!

I had hoped to wing the NE out and I almost succeeded. It sure made sanding a pain on the exterior. Then when sanding in reverse with the drill the vacuum chuck backed off and by the time I set the drill down it broke vacuum and went scurrying across the table. I was happy nothing broke as I had quite a bit if time in sanding by that point. I also used no CA on this one, just a DNA soak and dry. I have some Pin Oak that has some huge bark on it that I intend to tackle here shortly. It and the White Oak lack the coloring that the Red offers when finished but I hope the bark makes it stand out.

John made the comment I may have found my niche with NE and I might have to agree, they seem to suit me and my style (not sure I have a style but for the lack of a better word). I gave a large R.O. NE away to a friend this week and the comments it recieved sure made me feel good. My youngest son and I are spending the entire day in the shop so I hope to complete several more bowls today while he cranks out wine stoppers and such.

joel nucifore
12-23-2010, 5:49 AM
great NE bowl. did you have to CA the bark???

Mark Hubl
12-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Ken, I like the shape on this one also. Looks really good.