PDA

View Full Version : how to eliminate brush marks in lacquer finish (Deft)

Zahid Naqvi
12-22-2010, 6:40 PM
I'm refinishing an old cabinet and after staining the top I applied 3 coats of Deft clear wood finish. This finish is lacquer based (if I am not mistaken). But despite using a very good quality brush and meticulously maintaining a "wet" edge I can never get the brush marks to go away. I did not sand between coats as per instructions on the can.
Any advice on how to get the finish to a glassy smooth surface.

Steve Schoene
12-22-2010, 7:44 PM
Lacquer is a product best sprayed because it dries so fast that it doesn't flow out. You could thin with a lacquer retarder to get more time. And, you should use not only a good quality brush but one with very fine bristles so you don't get brush marks to begin with. (100% Ox hair is good.) And, you need to brush it more like shellac--moving quickly but with deliberation, never go back. By the way, nothing wrong with sanding between coats if you have defects, it's just not necessary to attain good adhesion as the coats all melt together.

Fortunately, lacquer is also one of the easiest to rub out to your desired sheen. Sand using the finest paper that will remove the defects, usually 600 grit, but not coarser than 400 grit, until you have eliminated shiny spots. Then jump to about 1200 grit to remove the scratches from your first paper. It would be a bit faster to work through the grits, but you will likely remove more material, increasing the risk of cut through. At that point, shift to a compound. A polishing compound, possibly followed by "swirl remover" if you are going for super high gloss. A rubbing compound for satin. Or for traditional materials, rottenstone for gloss, and pumice for satin, in either case lubricating with paraffin oil works well with felt for the pad.

Bill Davis
12-22-2010, 8:55 PM
I'm refinishing an old cabinet and after staining the top I applied 3 coats of Deft clear wood finish. This finish is lacquer based (if I am not mistaken). But despite using a very good quality brush and meticulously maintaining a "wet" edge I can never get the brush marks to go away. I did not sand between coats as per instructions on the can.
Any advice on how to get the finish to a glassy smooth surface.

I haven't used deft for a while but regularly use plain gloss lacquer. I mostly spray it but have brushed it. I get brush marks when brushing it on but if I want to get a good heavy build of finish I will brush as long I can sand adequately which means mostly flat surfaces. I have sanded brushed lacquer to a fine super smooth surface so I know it works. I usually wet sand using mineral spirits straight or preferably MS and mineral oil combined about 50-50 or so. Depending on how rough the brushed surface is I may start with p360 paper and go up to p1000 depending on the final appearance I want. Wet sanding can be a bit messy so have plenty of rags or paper towels handy. The sand paper lasts much longer when wet sanding and the end result makes it my preferred method. Doing it right now on a large mirror frame project.

Zahid Naqvi
12-22-2010, 9:48 PM
It's a tabletop so a pretty flat surface, I was thinking about the wet sanding myself, but wanted to ask the experts first. Coincidentally I just got some pumice and rotten stone from LV, I guess this would be a good project to break them out.

Scott Holmes
12-23-2010, 12:13 AM
Pumice and Rottenstone are the old school methods. They worked great for the oldtimers that did not have access to 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 3200 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000 and 12000 sand paper. Wet sanding with these high tech papers is not nearly as messy as working with the pumice and rottenstone. The stepped progression through these grits is quicker and more consistent.

Phil Phelps
12-23-2010, 8:54 AM
When using w/dry paper, soak your paper in a mild soap solution for thirty minutes before using. Lacquer can be sanded and polished to a rich, high gloss finish. It just takes a long time to get there. I don't know the size of your project, but a guitar body can take forty hours. It's worth every minute.

Zahid Naqvi
12-23-2010, 5:11 PM
Phil, I noticed you are in Dallas too, maybe I can swing by one day and look at some of your hand finished guitars :) My project is actually a table top around 18"x30" so not too big, plus it's flat and sturdy.