PDA

View Full Version : Take 2 on small HF

Jack Mincey
12-22-2010, 5:20 PM
After posting this a while back I turned another finial out of Appalachian blackwood about 1/3 shorter than the one I had turned from a deer antler. I like the shorter one better for sure. I would have posted it sooner, but my photo tent is in the Attic area of my shop and is un heated. Can you say cold.:)
Jack
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/IMG_2860.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/IMG_2862.jpg

Curt Fuller
12-22-2010, 5:29 PM
Well the wood and the form are both beautiful. Both finials are equally nice too, but what I'm impressed with is that you were able to get that much detail in the antler finial. That finial by itself is a work of art.

Brian Libby
12-22-2010, 6:05 PM
I like the blackwood best. but both are very nice.

John Keeton
12-22-2010, 6:12 PM
Jack, I think the black finial is a major improvement, but....what is Appalachian blackwood!! I was raised pure hillbilly, but I hain't never heerd of no Appalachian Blackwood!!:confused:

Jerry Marcantel
12-22-2010, 6:14 PM
Jack, to get some color on that antler, get yourself a small piece of ironwood, a pot, some water, and boil it for about 30 minutes or less. It'll turn that antler almost the same color as the hollow form..... It will do the same for bone. Other woods might work also........ Jerry (in Tucson)

Mike Stephens
12-22-2010, 6:20 PM
Great turning. (turnings) I have to say i can appreciate the work that went into the antler. But I really like the blackwood better. Maybe the antler finial is better saved for a future HF.

Either way great work.

Jack Mincey
12-22-2010, 7:00 PM
Thanks everyone, the antler did become very flexible when I got it down small which made it difficult to turn. I think that it will end up on a Christmas ornament. John, my definition of Appalachian Blackwood is persimmon dyed black. It turns great and while not common I do find it in my area. I dyed this one with a black white board marker since couldn't find a black sharpie.
Thanks again,
Jack

Roland Martin
12-22-2010, 7:12 PM
I prefer the shorter blackwood finial on this beautiful form, but that certainly doesn't mean the antler is any less attractive. Both finials are great, I can only hope that I can get remotely close to that in the future.

Michael James
12-22-2010, 7:18 PM
Jack, nice work as always. I think the black finial is probably the niceest one I've seen. Can I say it's perfect?

David DeCristoforo
12-22-2010, 7:24 PM
The new finial rocks. Not only is the darker color more suited to the form, the detailing is vastly superior.

Jim Burr
12-22-2010, 8:18 PM
I can say cold, and I can say "Nice job Jack". Really nice chunk of wood and a pleasant form. Next year I'll learn finials and I hope they look like that so until then...and after...that's a nice finial too!!

I can say flooded too...a little more rain and we're outa here. Disaster already declared in our county and we are not to far from the river. Hope you warm up and we dry up!

David E Keller
12-22-2010, 8:36 PM
Nice job. I like the second one a lot both for the color and the proportions.

Nathan Hawkes
12-22-2010, 9:09 PM
Thanks everyone, the antler did become very flexible when I got it down small which made it difficult to turn. I think that it will end up on a Christmas ornament. John, my definition of Appalachian Blackwood is persimmon dyed black. It turns great and while not common I do find it in my area. I dyed this one with a black white board marker since couldn't find a black sharpie.
Thanks again,
Jack

NICE! I have never been fortunate enough to find any persimmon worth turning, but I'm trying to remedy that. It is actually the only N. American tree that is truly a member of the Ebony family!! The "texas ebony" is acacia, I think.

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Jack both are beauties and the finials look great. I have to agree that the deer antler is a work of art and really didn't figure you could get that much detail on horn.

charlie knighton
12-23-2010, 12:16 AM
like the black final, nice form

joel nucifore
12-23-2010, 5:59 AM
I am liking the first and the final is out standing.....

Mark Hubl
12-23-2010, 10:47 AM
Both finials look good to me. I prefer the black one, the colors work better for me. Nice job on both.